hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member offshorehibby's Avatar

Energy Smart Meters

I'm back with Scottish gas supplying my gas and electricity. They've emailed me with the offer of a 'free' upgrade to a Smart Meter. Anybody got one, is it worth the hassle.
    TOP CASH BACK
    The easy way to make money

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Galahibby's Avatar
    Yeh. Thought I was doing really great for the first few months then wondered why my bill was double what the meter was saying. Turned out it wasn't registering my gas! I've no idea at all how accurate it is now, I kind of gave up checking it and if they try and put my direct debit up I'll worry about it then.

Does it still work if you switch suppliers again?

Blog Entries
    I took up the Scottish Gas offer for Smart meters a few years ago. Two guys arrived, spent two hours changing both meters and on completion, I heard one of them mutter, "Oh, *****." It turned out that the mobile signal was Vodafone and the signal in my house was far to weak to work with the meters. They had to spend another couple of hours replacing the old ones. Unless they have extended their contract for mobile supply to other suppliers or have improved the Vodafone signal in my area, I would be wary of going down that road again. Mind you, I've been told that it is a Government priority for all households to have smart meters by 2018. No chance.

Quote Originally Posted by patch1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Does it still work if you switch suppliers again?
    I read on the Martin Lewis money website that if you switch supplier the smart meter reverts to being an old style meter for a length of time.

My Mrs works for BG and deals with smart meter calls, mostly complaints. We don't have one, and have no intention of getting one soon. Too many gremlins and issues that need sorted before we do.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    I took up the Scottish Gas offer for Smart meters a few years ago. Two guys arrived, spent two hours changing both meters and on completion, I heard one of them mutter, "Oh, *****." It turned out that the mobile signal was Vodafone and the signal in my house was far to weak to work with the meters. They had to spend another couple of hours replacing the old ones. Unless they have extended their contract for mobile supply to other suppliers or have improved the Vodafone signal in my area, I would be wary of going down that road again. Mind you, I've been told that it is a Government priority for all households to have smart meters by 2018. No chance.
    There is a big push for it but like u say won't happen. Not sure how they can force me to change something that ain't broke. Is there legislation etc to support the big push? All it will do when fully implemented is put more folk out of work.

Do you have to pay extra for this?

I saw an advert for some utility thing that was 7 a month. I'd this something else?

I don't pay much attention to adverts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Do you have to pay extra for this?

I saw an advert for some utility thing that was 7 a month. I'd this something else?

I don't pay much attention to adverts.
    No extra costs. The energy suppliers are required to offer every house in Britain a Smart Meter by 2020, free of charge.

The idea is that it eradicates the need for estimated bills as it sends your usage data back to your supplier in near real time so they have a much more accurate picture of what you're actually using and charge accordingly. The customer also gets a small tabletop unit which allows you to monitor your usage and give you an idea of how you could change your usage habits and hence save money.

Personally, I think they're a good idea if they work as they are supposed to. Paying exactly what you should be paying whilst giving you the facility to see when you're using too much is all good in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by hibby19 View Post
    No extra costs. The energy suppliers are required to offer every house in Britain a Smart Meter by 2020, free of charge.

The idea is that it eradicates the need for estimated bills as it sends your usage data back to your supplier in near real time so they have a much more accurate picture of what you're actually using and charge accordingly. The customer also gets a small tabletop unit which allows you to monitor your usage and give you an idea of how you could change your usage habits and hence save money.

Personally, I think they're a good idea if they work as they are supposed to. Paying exactly what you should be paying whilst giving you the facility to see when you're using too much is all good in my book.
    Thanks.
    Space to let

Quote Originally Posted by hibby19 View Post

Think you have hit the nail on the head. The issue at the moment is the don't seem to be working as well as they should and still lots of problems figuring out how to get signal issues, topping up for payg metres and issues with transferring etc as has been mentioned above.