hibs.net Messageboard

French to close Calais?

Was reading on the BBC the French have commented about moving the border to UK not Calais.

I'm not at the wind up here, but can't figure how that would work. Will they not obliged to check that anyone passing through their borders to anywhere outside EU has valid travel documents, I.e. a passport?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by beensaidbefore View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Was reading on the BBC the French have commented about moving the border to UK not Calais.

I'm not at the wind up here, but can't figure how that would work. Will they not obliged to check that anyone passing through their borders to anywhere outside EU has valid travel documents, I.e. a passport?
    It's the British border that's in Calais. The French currently allow the British to do custom controls on their side. This benefits Britain in that all the refugees remain in France and don't gain access to Britain.

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    It's the British border that's in Calais. The French currently allow the British to do custom controls on their side. This benefits Britain in that all the refugees remain in France and don't gain access to Britain.
    I understand how that works in our favour, but would the French not have to check travel documents to let them on a ferry, plane, or train? The same as if say, I went to the south of France and took a ferry to Algeria? Surely they must be obliged to check before letting me board rather than waiting until I get to Algiers for them to turn me back?

If a n other turns up for his easyjet flight to Britain without a passport surely they can't travel? Never used the train but assume there must be some checks? We could impose that on Eurostar if need be as some condition of carriage. And ferry must need border control both sides?

If not, what is to stop us literally ferrying folk we don't want back and forth between Britain and France with no travel docs in the hope they get fed up and go somewhere else?

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by beensaidbefore View Post
    I understand how that works in our favour, but would the French not have to check travel documents to let them on a ferry, plane, or train? The same as if say, I went to the south of France and took a ferry to Algeria? Surely they must be obliged to check before letting me board rather than waiting until I get to Algiers for them to turn me back?

If a n other turns up for his easyjet flight to Britain without a passport surely they can't travel? Never used the train but assume there must be some checks? We could impose that on Eurostar if need be as some condition of carriage. And ferry must need border control both sides?

If not, what is to stop us literally ferrying folk we don't want back and forth between Britain and France with no travel docs in the hope they get fed up and go somewhere else?
    I'm not 100% sure how it works, but I think the French will still check passports. If someone has a valid passport they are entitled to travel, if they then arrive here and don't have a visa they can then claim asylum here. Currently they can't do that.

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I'm not 100% sure how it works, but I think the French will still check passports. If someone has a valid passport they are entitled to travel, if they then arrive here and don't have a visa they can then claim asylum here. Currently they can't do that.
    Ah OK. I see trouble ahead.😀

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    There's new regulations for flying to Canada from here. If you don't have an ETA (Electronic Travel Authorisation) I'm told they won't let you on the plane at the UK airport. I assume 'they' are the airline reps at the desk.

Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    There's new regulations for flying to Canada from here. If you don't have an ETA (Electronic Travel Authorisation) I'm told they won't let you on the plane at the UK airport. I assume 'they' are the airline reps at the desk.
    Interesting. Perhaps something similar could be introduced if France force our hand.