hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar

How much for a night out?

Was having a conversation about how much money I used to go out with for a good night in my twenties, this would include bevvy all night, chippy and maybe a taxi home. I recall it was about £20-£30. Fast forward to now, nearly 50 years of age and I hate going out even just for a decent session without at least £100 cash in my pocket. Obviously I carry cards but would never dream of buying a round with one and would just go to the bank for more cash if ever required. Not saying I spend it all unlike in my twenties but just hate going out without a decent amount of cash in pocket. Anyone else the same,and what do you younger folk consider adequate carrying cash these days?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Really?? I'm 44 now. In my going oot up town days in my late teens early 20's I'd always start out with £100 cash - with the hope/intention of having plenty left next day. Often woke up next day with only smash in my pockets.

Edit: this would include train fare from Livi into town then taxi back.(+ kebab/pizza/whatever)
    Last edited by brianmc; 03-11-2016 at 09:28 PM.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    These days taking out £50 is fine for a night out with the mates, we never go for a meal or any of that nonsense.

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    £50 is the most i'll take out. Could easily spend all of that or less depending on how the night is.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

Fairly recently I picked up 4 laddies in town around 7am on a Sunday and took them back out to Livi after their Saturday night out up town (i drive a PHC for a livi based company). Though they'd clearly had a few bevvies none of them were blootered or caused me any bother at all. However! They did count up how much they had spent on they're 12 hour sesh..... And the ballpark figure was £750! (They'd all started with £200 and emptied their pockets to count up how much was left).

Thank **** I'm long past those days.

£10 max on a bottle of wine is now the extent of my Saturday night "out" (*in the house!).

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmc View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fairly recently I picked up 4 laddies in town around 7am on a Sunday and took them back out to Livi after their Saturday night out up town (i drive a PHC for a livi based company). Though they'd clearly had a few bevvies none of them were blootered or caused me any bother at all. However! They did count up how much they had spent on they're 12 hour sesh..... And the ballpark figure was £750! (They'd all started with £200 and emptied their pockets to count up how much was left).

£10 max on a bottle of wine is now the extent of my Saturday night "out" (*in the house!).
    Luckily these days my stomach is in cahoots with my wallet.
    Any more than 2 pints and it sends up the white flag.
    £10 is about my limit too.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Was having a conversation about how much money I used to go out with for a good night in my twenties, this would include bevvy all night, chippy and maybe a taxi home. I recall it was about £20-£30. Fast forward to now, nearly 50 years of age and I hate going out even just for a decent session without at least £100 cash in my pocket. Obviously I carry cards but would never dream of buying a round with one and would just go to the bank for more cash if ever required. Not saying I spend it all unlike in my twenties but just hate going out without a decent amount of cash in pocket. Anyone else the same,and what do you younger folk consider adequate carrying cash these days?
    It can fluctuate quite dramatically once punting is included in the day/evening out.

Testimonial Due

Sounds like they were on more than just the bevy then! It's pretty hard to spend £200-£250 on booze in the space of 12 hours and not be falling about the place smashed!

Testimonial Due
    If it's just a night in the local then I'll probably not spend over £50. If it's an all day session with my mates up the town it can easily surpass £100. I hate to think what a night up the town with my mrs costs me...

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Aye, £100 easily although I will use my card in some places rather than carry loads of cash.

Uni days (7-10 years ago) it was about £25.

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Quote Originally Posted by #FromTheCapital View Post
    If it's just a night in the local then I'll probably not spend over £50. If it's an all day session with my mates up the town it can easily surpass £100. I hate to think what a night up the town with my mrs costs me...
    Similar amounts to me I'd say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    It can fluctuate quite dramatically once punting is included in the day/evening out.
    Not forgetting your train fare to Carlisle :-)

£95.

I met a friend at 1pm yesterday for lunch. I got home around 10pm.

In the 80s as a single man I'd go out with £32.50 for a Friday/Saturday night.

I'd 'hide' £2.50 somewhere on me so I'd have money at the end of the night for a kebab!
    Space to let

Night at the local(s) with a couple of mates I can do for £30/£40. Few drinks with the girlfriend up that to £50/£60. Proper day out with mates, football team mates, people I haven't seen in a while etc and it always gets silly and I'm looking at £100 minimum. Unfortunately or thankfully, depending on what way I look at it, those days are getting fewer and further between.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Not forgetting your train fare to Carlisle :-)
    Indeed! :-)

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    I can spend anything from about £30 on a night out to £100. It generally works out that if I'm drinking pints I spend less as they take so much longer to drink but if it's vodkas then I'll spend a fortune as you can polish one of them off in about 5-10 minutes.

Depends where you're going as well. I can sit all night with a few mates in my local and spend £40-50 but that wouldn't buy the first round in some places up town.

Sounds like they were on more than just the bevy then! It's pretty hard to spend £200-£250 on booze in the space of 12 hours and not be falling about the place smashed!
    100% correct. Though in my experience that's the norm for 20/30 year olds now rather than being a rarity. That's one of the reasons I don't work Friday or Saturday nights anymore - most of the fares are aff their nuts on coke (instant ******** powder as I tend to call it).

Gamer IDs

Thing is, I remember needing £80-£100 for a night out when I was 18, and thats 17 years ago. I would always play the fruit machines tho, and that would pay me into a club where drinks were pricier. Some lads I work with now who are between 23-26 have been known to spend over £150 on a saturday out. That includes taxis.

Clubs and pubs now taking debit cards really doesnt help tho. Luckily no matter how drunk I get I seem to avoid doing that tho. My drunken self even knows my missus would kill me

I'm out in Edinburgh tomorrow with a few work mates. We're meeting for lunch at Bubba Q's in the royal mile. Have a 9 hole pub golf route planned out, plus we have 2.5hrs booked into supercube. We've already put £80 each into the "kitty" which has paid for supercube, will cover the meal and also the drinks for the pub golf. We plan on going up the town once back in Dunfermline, so I reckon I'll spend another £60 on top.
    Last edited by CallumLaidlaw; 04-11-2016 at 09:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CallumLaidlaw View Post
    Thing is, I remember needing £80-£100 for a night out when I was 18, and thats 17 years ago. I would always play the fruit machines tho, and that would pay me into a club where drinks were pricier. Some lads I work with now who are between 23-26 have been known to spend over £150 on a saturday out. That includes taxis.

Clubs and pubs now taking debit cards really doesnt help tho. Luckily no matter how drunk I get I seem to avoid doing that tho. My drunken self even knows my missus would kill me

I'm out in Edinburgh tomorrow with a few work mates. We're meeting for lunch at Bubba Q's in the royal mile. Have a 9 hole pub golf route planned out, plus we have 2.5hrs booked into supercube. We've already put £80 each into the "kitty" which has paid for supercube, will cover the meal and also the drinks for the pub golf. We plan on going up the town once back in Dunfermline, so I reckon I'll spend another £60 on top.
    Supercube? Are all your work mates 17 year old girls?

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Geo_1875 View Post
    Supercube? Are all your work mates 17 year old girls?
    Each to their own eh Bit of fun during the day.

All about value. If I end up with a kebab and my leg over, then £100 is a no bad night.

If I wake up with nothing more than a hangover, then £70 is a right kick in the teeth.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Great thread!

My 'par' for a proper night out is £100. An all dayer would be £150. The question is, how much did we all spend on our day out on May 21st!?!

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    Great thread!

My 'par' for a proper night out is £100. An all dayer would be £150. The question is, how much did we all spend on our day out on May 21st!?!
    Nowhere near what I expected to be honest. Around £40 in the kitty before the match. £15 on my jim beam for the bus. Fiver on a four pack while stopping off at deer park, 4 or 5 pints back in Edinburgh then home to rosyth. So around £100 when including programme and half time food.

Following day I probably only spent around £30 as had a carry oot at the links.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Great thread!

About £350, I was seemingly swanning about the pub with a bottle of champagne in each hand like i was Floyd Mayweather not that I can remember

Great thread!

On the Saturday surprisingly little. A few folk got me a pint for organising our buses and post game I didn't really have many. Give or take about £50.

Sunday was a different story, in the pub from opening, at the Links then in the pub until closing and easily cleared £150 but think there were a few card rounds I've conveniently forgotten, carried on on the Monday and probably spent another £70.

Never even got a single words grief about the state of me that weekend either. Mrs PB knew what it meant and that I wasn't taking liberties.

I agree. On the bingo...

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Great thread!

Not sure but I happily lost £200 betting on Rangers.

100% correct. Though in my experience that's the norm for 20/30 year olds now rather than being a rarity. That's one of the reasons I don't work Friday or Saturday nights anymore - most of the fares are aff their nuts on coke (instant ******** powder as I tend to call it).
    It's ridiculous how many people are taking cocaine and how openly they're doing it these days. Never had any interest in it myself but the amount of cocaine being used up the town on a Friday and Saturday night should be cracked down on, it's absolutely everywhere. I'm 26 and either I was oblivious to it when I was 18-23 or so or it's got a hell of a lot worse the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Mon Dieu4 View Post
    About £350, I was seemingly swanning about the pub with a bottle of champagne in each hand like i was Floyd Mayweather not that I can remember
    I was in the persy cup final night and was also drinking champagne straight out the bottle. Quite simply the best night out I've ever had.