hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Uber decision

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The biggest problem for me would be handing over 25% of my earnings.
    Presumably, you'd be putting that away anyways

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    The biggest problem for me would be handing over 25% of my earnings.
    Aye taxi drivers like the cash jobs to avoid that I've heard...

@hibs.net private member calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbc70 View Post
    Used it a few times in Edinburgh now and great service. Always cheaper than black taxi, admittedly I don't think I am giving money to hedge funds before I order it as I am just looking to get from A to B in the quickest and cheapest way possible, which is exactly what Uber does.

It's disruptive innovation and everyone apart from those with a vested interest in traditional taxi services will probably welcome it.
    That's the way that I've always seen it. Never heard a bad word about the actual service from people who have used it.

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    Aye taxi drivers like the cash jobs to avoid that I've heard...
    It was strictly cash if you got in mines, anything over a tenner and it was upfront please.

Inevitably the world we live in promotes competition and often agrressive and hostile competiton that aims to exploit supposed gaps in the market.

I can certainly see why the black cab drivers have a problem when that competition isn't on a level playing field. The cost, time, assessment and regulation of being a black cab driver is completely different from that of those driving for Uber yet they are, in many instances, competing for the same market. I can see why that is viewed as unfair.
    I fell in love with football as I was later to fall in love with women,. Suddenly, uncritically giving no thought to the pain it could bring. - Nick Hornby

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Inevitably the world we live in promotes competition and often agrressive and hostile competiton that aims to exploit supposed gaps in the market.

I can certainly see why the black cab drivers have a problem when that competition isn't on a level playing field. The cost, time, assessment and regulation of being a black cab driver is completely different from that of those driving for Uber yet they are, in many instances, competing for the same market. I can see why that is viewed as unfair.
    apparently the uber drivers don't need to be vetted in the same was a taxi driver is - no criminal checks etc.

That was told to me by a taxi driver and I've assumed he's correct.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

Level playing field is exactly the problem. I have no problem with competition but black cab drivers pay for a whole load of training, licenses, modules, exams for the privilege of being able to be hailed on the street.

So when you see these guys trying to steal your work (I caught one guy the other night) when they're not supposed to. When you see them using bus, taxi lanes when they're not allowed. When you hear that the police are encouraging the rank marshals on busy nights to let uber/phc pick up when they are empty (which is against their license conditions) that makes you wonder why you bother.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    apparently the uber drivers don't need to be vetted in the same was a taxi driver is - no criminal checks etc.

That was told to me by a taxi driver and I've assumed he's correct.
    They need a PH licence so must be subject to police vetting procedures.

@hibs.net private member
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: FranckSauzee4
    Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    Level playing field is exactly the problem. I have no problem with competition but black cab drivers pay for a whole load of training, licenses, modules, exams for the privilege of being able to be hailed on the street.

So when you see these guys trying to steal your work (I caught one guy the other night) when they're not supposed to. When you see them using bus, taxi lanes when they're not allowed. When you hear that the police are encouraging the rank marshals on busy nights to let uber/phc pick up when they are empty (which is against their license conditions) that makes you wonder why you bother.
    That's the way it goes - the likes of Paypal have disrupted the payments business and they didn't need to do bank exams either.

Ultimately the users choose what is the best service for them at the best price and they care little about anything else. If it is important to people that their drivers are trained and licenced then they will pay for it, if users don't care about it then it becomes irrelevant.