hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There is a mowos. It's called the country music awards.

"When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression."
    Sounds terrible

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    What's your issue with the MOBOs?
    Its a form of descrimination IMO. Then point was the use of the word black vs white. Mowos would be condemned as discriminatory, using that logic so are the mobos.

They don't call it the white folks awards though.

Quote Originally Posted by beensaidbefore View Post
    Its a form of descrimination IMO. Then point was the use of the word black vs white. Mowos would be condemned as discriminatory, using that logic so are the mobos.
    Yes. Over the centuries is white folk really have been ground underfoot by black people.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Yes because going to a Jewish place of worship dressed up as someone from the Nazi party is the same as dressing up as a character from a TV show right enough.
    They aren't the same thing but you seem to be able to take context into account with one example but not the other. Blacking up is really only okay if you ignore history.

It really shouldn't be an issue to dress up as someone from a different ethnic background to yourself but unfortunately in the culture and times that we live in, where people love to be offended by everything and anything, it is.

I would therefore avoid dressing up as any non-white person, if it involves changing the colour of your skin.
    I have never met anyone who 'loves being offended by everything'. People are generally offended by things they find offensive.

You can only think that there are lots of people who enjoy being offended in our 'culture' or this is part of 'the times we live in' if you read a certain type of newspaper and are somewhat detached from reality.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Who do the MOBOs discriminate against?

Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    Yes. Over the centuries is white folk really have been ground underfoot by black people.
    What I'm trying to get at is, you are allowed to be pro quite a few things, including pro black. Society has a view that anything that is pro white is racist. Whilst it is pretty difficult to argue its not, pro black views are not considered so.

Whilst I understand them historical context, I feel that a more forward looking stance would be to avoid pro any colour as by its very inclusion hints at being anti another colour. Why should we make man difference between black and white people?

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    On the subject, I was scrolling through Facebook and seen a post that was someone as chris kamara - full sky sports news headlines and banners around him. Looked class.

Wish I was artistic enough. That with the scores flashing up from 21/5 would have been a great costume! But no, I'm Neville longbottom...
    Mon the Hibs.

I only want to say the Scottish Cup is in the bag... Sir David Gray's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    They aren't the same thing but you seem to be able to take context into account with one example but not the other. Blacking up is really only okay if you ignore history.
    It's not just "blacking up" which is being spoken about here though is it?

That suggests that you are simply dressing up as some random black person for the sake of it, like what used to happen decades ago when people did that to deliberately cause offence.

What's being proposed here is dressing up as a particular character from TV. I'm assuming the person who brought it up, wouldn't just have been painting their face black, they would also have dressed up like Mr T. I honestly don't see any racism in doing that and as far as I'm concerned it actually makes a mockery of real cases of racism which undoubtedly do still exist in the world.

As I said in my original post though, I understand the reaction that doing this is likely to attract and therefore I would steer clear of it.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    I have never met anyone who 'loves being offended by everything'. People are generally offended by things they find offensive.

You can only think that there are lots of people who enjoy being offended in our 'culture' or this is part of 'the times we live in' if you read a certain type of newspaper and are somewhat detached from reality.
    You obviously aren't looking very hard.
    HIBERNIAN F.C. - SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016

You obviously aren't looking very hard.
    It's not a case of not looking for it, I have never met anyone like this. Take my word for it. I doubt I ever will either.

Scottish Cup Victory - Witness 2016 Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post

Being offended is a choice people make. I doubt there is anyone in existence that chooses to be offended by everything.
    "If a player is not interfering with play or seeking to gain
    an advantage, then he should be."

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Being offended is a choice people make. I doubt there is anyone in existence that chooses to be offended by everything.
    I don't think a lot of people choose to be offended, I think some have the sensitivity or the awareness to realise why others may be.

Personally as a white male from northern Europe I don't feel it's my place to tell anyone what they should or shouldn't be offended by as I happen to be a member of the group which has generally done the most discriminating/offending.

If someone choose to dress up as a Nazi I don't choose to be offended but I can see why a Roma, Sinti, homosexual, disabled or Jewish person may be.

If someone chooses to sing songs about a 300 year old battle and revel in organised slaughter I don't choose to be offended but I can see why Irish Catholics may be.

Equally if someone has a comprehension of the history of blackface and chooses to black up for 'a laugh' I don't personally choose to be offended but I can see why a black person would be.

I know I am going over slightly old ground but...

Just noticed a poster on the bridges advertising a singer who is the black Maddonna, is that OK? Would that be OK to have the white Tina Turner for example?

Just noticed a poster on the bridges advertising a singer who is the black Maddonna, is that OK? Would that be OK to have the white Tina Turner for example?
    Probably racially insensitive of me, but I personally take more offence at the misspelling.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar

Black Madonna is a white DJ, named after the depiction in art of the Mother of Christ being dark skinned. It is not a black tribute act of the pop star formerly married to Guy Ritchie.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    Black Madonna is a white DJ, named after the depiction in art of the Mother of Christ being dark skinned. It is not a black tribute act of the pop star formerly married to Guy Ritchie.
    Lol. That explains it then. I did think it was a bit controversial, suppose it still in is but in a different context. Thanks for clearing that up.

Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    Probably racially insensitive of me, but I personally take more offence at the misspelling.
    What's that saying again? Everyone loves a smart arse?
    😁