hibs.net Messageboard

Page 80 of 115 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast
Results 2,371 to 2,400 of 3447

Thread: Boxing!

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Fury v Wilder OCT 9th

same result as last time i reckon

2. Log in to remove the advert

Is it just me (well me and Roy Jones Jr) who thinks Joshua boxed well? For me he was just beaten by a better boxer on the night.

Sometimes you just have to give an opponent credit. Joshua tried to take the centre of the ring, he tried to use his jab to hold distance, he tried to work the body to slow Usyk down and he tried to counter with his right when the opportunity was there. Usyk had an answer to all of that. Joshua boxed well, Usyk put on probably the best performance of his career and there have been a few good ones.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member
    Not sure how either gets close to fury. Fury 3 inch taller than Joshua but with tremendous speed and skill

I thought Chisora did better than Joshua and was unlucky .....Joshua needs to go to war, he is nowhere near the technical level ....technical level in the heavyweight division doesnt ofter come into it when there is a war...thats Joshua's only hope in the rematch

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stairway 2 7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not sure how either gets close to fury. Fury 3 inch taller than Joshua but with tremendous speed and skill
    Steve Cunningham was a blown up cruiserweight the same height as Usyk and he put Fury on his arse

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Is it just me (well me and Roy Jones Jr) who thinks Joshua boxed well? For me he was just beaten by a better boxer on the night.

Sometimes you just have to give an opponent credit. Joshua tried to take the centre of the ring, he tried to use his jab to hold distance, he tried to work the body to slow Usyk down and he tried to counter with his right when the opportunity was there. Usyk had an answer to all of that. Joshua boxed well, Usyk put on probably the best performance of his career and there have been a few good ones.
    I think he boxed well but it was the total wrong plan. Apparently much of his training was geared towards out boxing Usyk. Why try to beat your opponent at his strengths and completely ignore the obvious advantages he had. It all seemed poorly managed and a bit arrogant to me

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mon Dieu4 View Post
    Steve Cunningham was a blown up cruiserweight the same height as Usyk and he put Fury on his arse
    8 years ago then got knocked out, poor example

8 years ago then got knocked out, poor example
    Right now I would take Fury to win but I would in no way shape or form be surprised if Usyk beat him

Quote Originally Posted by CmoantheHibs View Post
    I think he boxed well but it was the total wrong plan. Apparently much of his training was geared towards out boxing Usyk. Why try to beat your opponent at his strengths and completely ignore the obvious advantages he had. It all seemed poorly managed and a bit arrogant to me
    Arrogance is Joshua to a t. He’s dodged big fights his whole career, overrated donkey.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mon Dieu4 View Post
    Right now I would take Fury to win but I would in no way shape or form be surprised if Usyk beat him
    1 punch changes everything in boxing. But Joshua had 3 inches tyson would have 6. Tyson has tremendous speed movement and stamina. But usyk obviously will be dangerous to anyone. Tyson still has to beat wilder which he should but 1 punch could change that , certainly with wilder. And Joshua you would will bulk a bit and try to make the rematch more physical. Exciting times ahead

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar

Struggled with a southpaw, only his second ever professional fight against an unorthodox fighter.

IMO needs to revert more to type. He is a strong combination puncher who fights well on the inside. He’s done well to add more mobility to his game, but tonight he seemed gunshy, and unwilling to close the distance.

I heard McCracken in his corner after round 9 tell him to get behind the jab. At this point he was at least 3 rounds down. For me, he needed to be told to bite down on the gumshield, get on Usyks chest and unleash leather.

I honestly think he got bad advice tonight.

*i’ll add* against a southpaw slick boxer like Usyk, if you’re going to try and box from the outside you need to bank on winning at least 7 rounds. By not commiting to any attacks more than the odd 1-2, a KO was unlikely. Strange tactics tonight
    Last edited by MagicSwirlingShip; 25-09-2021 at 11:02 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    All night AJ threw single punches, I genuinely think it was a really poor performance from him.

Eddie Hearn needs to shut up with the nonsense, no one is buying the bull**** Eddie, Joshua was rubbish plain and simple. The ulogies about Uskys masterclass are also a bit off, whilst he is a good technical boxer this is the heavyweight division, he is too small and doesnt punch heavy, he will also get found out. But Eddie!!!! just be quiet just now

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Quote Originally Posted by pedroorange1875 View Post
    Eddie Hearn needs to shut up with the nonsense, no one is buying the bull**** Eddie, Joshua was rubbish plain and simple. The ulogies about Uskys masterclass are also a bit off, whilst he is a good technical boxer this is the heavyweight division, he is too small and doesnt punch heavy, he will also get found out. But Eddie!!!! just be quiet just now
    I heard hearn after the bout and he was very honest

He had it about 8-4 Usyk and he was basically saying Joshua was well beaten

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Callum_62; 26-09-2021 at 07:22 AM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Usyk is levels above Joshua. If you've watched him before you would see that. The doubt was over the size difference. Joshua couldn't cope with Usyk's movement and was utterly outclassed. I agree with Josh Taylor Usyk beats him 10 times out of ten. Usyk is far more than just a good technical boxer. It sounds to me like you've been had by the sky hype train.

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by Callum_62 View Post
    I heard hear after the bout and he was very honest

He had it about 8-4 Usyk and he was basically saying Joshua was well beaten

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
    Totally. Was actually surprised with how honest Hearn was about the outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Torto7 View Post
    Usyk is levels above Joshua. If you've watched him before you would see that. The doubt was over the size difference. Joshua couldn't cope with Usyk's movement and was utterly outclassed. I agree with Josh Taylor Usyk beats him 10 times out of ten. Usyk is far more than just a good technical boxer. It sounds to me like you've been had by the sky hype train.
    Not sure you have read his quotes since, not been had about anything, size and difference is everything in the heavyweight division, technical boxing is this division is long gone since Ali. The right tactics and power against Usyk and he will be shown up as a skillful cruiserweight, which is exactly what Fury will do
    Last edited by pedroorange1875; 26-09-2021 at 12:44 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    Not sure you have read his quotes since, not been had about anything, size and difference is everything in the heavyweight division, technical boxing is this division is long gone since Ali. The right tactics and power against Usyk and he will be shown up as a skillful cruiserweight, which is exactly what Fury will do
    Usyk is 6"3 hardly tiny, Andy ruiz 6"1, dillian whyte 6"4, povetkin 6"1, hollyfield 6"2 , tyson 5"10.

Its just tyson fury is a giant at 6"9. Usually someone that height is just a big bear but he dances and weaves somehow

@hibs.net private member
    1 punch changes everything in boxing. But Joshua had 3 inches tyson would have 6. Tyson has tremendous speed movement and stamina. But usyk obviously will be dangerous to anyone. Tyson still has to beat wilder which he should but 1 punch could change that , certainly with wilder. And Joshua you would will bulk a bit and try to make the rematch more physical. Exciting times ahead
    Last nights showing even getting physical doesn’t look a good option, AJ was troubled quite a few times, his legs where uneasy after a few lefts from usyk and that was before the onslaught at the end.
    Before the fight last night I thought as the fight would go on AJ’s power would win through but in any rematch I think AJ will be the fighter who needs to get it over early to have any chance and I’m not sure his chin could guarantee that tactic would work.

Quote Originally Posted by NC1875 View Post
    Arrogance is Joshua to a t. He’s dodged big fights his whole career, overrated donkey.

This.

He was questioned earlier in his career about the choice of opponents and his knockout record is meaningless due to the quality of some of them. For me he's another Bruno, a big likeable lump who changed his life around through boxing, he can certainly hit but skill levels are way below were you need to be to beat the real top guys, he can't rely on a big punch every fight to win.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicSwirlingShip View Post
    Struggled with a southpaw, only his second ever professional fight against an unorthodox fighter.

IMO needs to revert more to type. He is a strong combination puncher who fights well on the inside. He’s done well to add more mobility to his game, but tonight he seemed gunshy, and unwilling to close the distance.

I heard McCracken in his corner after round 9 tell him to get behind the jab. At this point he was at least 3 rounds down. For me, he needed to be told to bite down on the gumshield, get on Usyks chest and unleash leather.

I honestly think he got bad advice tonight.

*i’ll add* against a southpaw slick boxer like Usyk, if you’re going to try and box from the outside you need to bank on winning at least 7 rounds. By not commiting to any attacks more than the odd 1-2, a KO was unlikely. Strange tactics tonight
    I said after the 1st Ruiz fight Joshua should have considered a change of trainer. McCracken has obviously worked at the top level for a long time but sometimes a fresh pair of eyes and a knew plan can freshen a fighter up.

I likened him to Lennox Lewis who sought out Emmanuel Steward at the low point of his career. Steward found a style that suited the skill set of Lewis. He turned the jab into a monster, he taught him how to manoeuvre opponents into range and he helped him develop his infighting when required, which he had never really been good at in his early career. Take the 1st Rahman fight out of the equation, when Lewis admits he didn't train, and he created a monster and arguably the most complete heavyweight of his era.

Had Lewis not made that change I think it's entirely possible you can add another couple of losses to his record and people would have been having the same conversations about him as they are about Joshua now. It's really up to AJ, does he want to be loyal, scrap around the fringes for a couple of years then get his arse handed to him by whoever emerges dominant from a Fury v Usyk saga or does he want to seek out improvement and try something knew?
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member
    I said after the 1st Ruiz fight Joshua should have considered a change of trainer. McCracken has obviously worked at the top level for a long time but sometimes a fresh pair of eyes and a knew plan can freshen a fighter up.

I likened him to Lennox Lewis who sought out Emmanuel Steward at the low point of his career. Steward found a style that suited the skill set of Lewis. He turned the jab into a monster, he taught him how to manoeuvre opponents into range and he helped him develop his infighting when required, which he had never really been good at in his early career. Take the 1st Rahman fight out of the equation, when Lewis admits he didn't train, and he created a monster and arguably the most complete heavyweight of his era.

Had Lewis not made that change I think it's entirely possible you can add another couple of losses to his record and people would have been having the same conversations about him as they are about Joshua now. It's really up to AJ, does he want to be loyal, scrap around the fringes for a couple of years then get his arse handed to him by whoever emerges dominant from a Fury v Usyk saga or does he want to seek out improvement and try something knew?
    He would have done well to do what Fury did and go to kronk. Science obviously has a huge role is modern sport, but AJ looks to have focused to much at the gb centre. It's one thing to train olympians to wrack up points, but you need a bit grit for heavyweight boxing. To late for kronk but a change is needed , he should have been grabbing usyk into the corner and uppercutting his head off.

@hibs.net private member
    I think Joseph Parker has the perfect mix/style to really take Usyk into deep water as they say in boxing.

Joshua was built up by Hearn and co as the best, made a lot of money out of boxing without fighting anyone meaningful, in his later career he's started fighting people who can actually box, you aim for his head/eyeline he's been shaken on a few occasions now, he's good but not at that elite level of others.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by LunasBoots View Post
    Joshua was built up by Hearn and co as the best, made a lot of money out of boxing without fighting anyone meaningful, in his later career he's started fighting people who can actually box, you aim for his head/eyeline he's been shaken on a few occasions now, he's good but not at that elite level of others.
    Whyte, povetkin, Parker, klitschko, pulev. It's only wilder and fury he's not fought in the devision of note. If he managed to escape wilders bombs he'd box wilders head off, same goes for usyk wilder actually.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...f-ken-buchanan

I assume this has been posted already but the above is a documentary on Ken Buchanan.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...f-ken-buchanan

I assume this has been posted already but the above is a documentary on Ken Buchanan.
    Just watched it an excellent watch.

Whyte, povetkin, Parker, klitschko, pulev. It's only wilder and fury he's not fought in the devision of note. If he managed to escape wilders bombs he'd box wilders head off, same goes for usyk wilder actually.
    A young Povetkin would have knocked Joshua out same with Klitschko both where pretty much finished when Joshua fought them, Pulev old as well, the other two aren't at the same level both are in that average boxer range

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Any word on when JT tickets are going in sale?

Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    Any word on when JT tickets are going in sale?
    I've just asked the same question to my mate, he's seeing JT on Saturday morning so said he will ask