hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 115 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Boxing!

Testimonial Due
    Ward v Kovalev on sky sports this weekend. Probably the biggest fight of the year. Should be a cracker, I'll be staying up for it with a few pals, can't wait.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by #FromTheCapital View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ward v Kovalev on sky sports this weekend. Probably the biggest fight of the year. Should be a cracker, I'll be staying up for it with a few pals, can't wait.
    Not of the same standard but Groves, Lee etc are on Channel 5 on Friday too

Ward kovalev is an interesting one,think ward will win on points but kovalev definitely has a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mon Dieu4 View Post
    Not of the same standard but Groves, Lee etc are on Channel 5 on Friday too
    Andrew Selby is fighting tomorrow on that channel 5 card, to anyone who doesn't know who this kid is then u have to see him fight, no one in Britain wants to fight him

Quote Originally Posted by Hiberniankb View Post
    Andrew Selby is fighting tomorrow on that channel 5 card, to anyone who doesn't know who this kid is then u have to see him fight, no one in Britain wants to fight him
    When I said Lee that's who I meant, I stupidly got him mixed up with his brother, I agree though, he is fantastic to watch, some of the shots and angles he throws from are crazy

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by hibs#1 View Post
    Ward kovalev is an interesting one,think ward will win on points but kovalev definitely has a chance.
    Ward is a very intelligent boxer whereas Kovalev is seen as more of a puncher, although his ring craft shouldn't be underestimated and that's what makes this fight so intriguing. Same as you, I'll go for Ward on points but it could go either way.

Ward is a very intelligent boxer whereas Kovalev is seen as more of a puncher, although his ring craft shouldn't be underestimated and that's what makes this fight so intriguing. Same as you, I'll go for Ward on points but it could go either way.
    My gut feeling is Ward schools kovalev. Would love kovalev to knock him out, definitely think I'm gonna stay up for this one, either that record and watch on Sunday morning

George Groves card starts on channel SPIKE at 6.30

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiberniankb View Post
    George Groves card starts on channel SPIKE at 6.30
    Is the Groves fight just on CH5?

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Is the Groves fight just on CH5?
    Yes

Tough fight for Groves and he simply has to win.

I like him a lot, I remember talking him up a lot before the 1st Froch fight. He's good enough to win a world title imo and when interviewed he comes across well (aside from the usual selling a fight stuff). He hits very hard and has a great attitude.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Testimonial Due
    Didn't realise this guy he's fighting has beaten GGG in the amateurs.

Groves jab is superb. When he doubles it up it's a real weapon.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

That was a good round, definitely had him rocked there, I echo everything pretty boy says about groves, I like the guy, if he just sticks to boxing instead of getting into wars then he can be world champion

I can't understand how this guy has only been stopped once (with a cut). Walks in straight lines, left hand is low and he's wild.

He must have a granite chin.

All Groves now. He's only lost 1, maybe 2 rounds imo.

Testimonial Due
    Decent fight this. All Groves, can see a late stoppage.

Ref should be having a look at this. Guy clearly struggling to see and he's absolutely shattered.

Good fitness levels by Groves, McGuigan seems like a really good fit for him

Shock horror 3 decent scorecards. Not far off spot on.

Testimonial Due
    Hopefully a title shot for Groves next and I hope he wins it. His jab is world class, one of the best in boxing at the moment.

Testimonial Due
    Eduard Gutknecht has apparently been taken to hospital after feeling unwell in the changing room, after his fight with Groves. He took some pretty severe punishment last night and his face was a mess. Hope he's ok.

Eduard Gutknecht has apparently been taken to hospital after feeling unwell in the changing room, after his fight with Groves. He took some pretty severe punishment last night and his face was a mess. Hope he's ok.
    Said a few posts back the ref ahould have been taking a closer look at him, as should his corner.

It's all very well saying he deserved to finish the fight but he was out on his feet and taking some heavy shots, should have been pulled out for his own safety. Hope it's nothing too serious.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Said a few posts back the ref ahould have been taking a closer look at him, as should his corner.

It's all very well saying he deserved to finish the fight but he was out on his feet and taking some heavy shots, should have been pulled out for his own safety. Hope it's nothing too serious.
    Agreed. There was no way he was winning that fight, so there was little point keeping him in, given the state of his face and the heavy shots he was taking right to the very end.

Agree don't see what good it does anyone watching a guy who is clearly losing take a lot of extra punishment for no reason other than too just finish a fight.

Then other times they stop fights far to early I suppose it probably is completely different in the moment for the referee
    Maybe the trainers should take a bigger say in stepping in.

Anyways not watched last night's fights yet have them recorded so will watch later on,think groves is very talented but I don't think he beats degale or smith can't say I've seen the Mexican WBO champion ramirez but he is very highly rated
    Looks likely his next fight will be WBA super or regular title
    Chudinov will probably be the opponent think if he doesn't win that then that'll be him done for.

Ps see gutknecht has had surgery wish him a full anday speedy recovery and further pushes home my earlier point.
    Last edited by hibs#1; 19-11-2016 at 07:37 PM.

Almost time!!! I'm hoping for a Kovalev to KO ward but think the classier boxing of Ward might prevail

Vegas scoring is strange, I had Kovalev winning that
    Last edited by Mon Dieu4; 20-11-2016 at 05:35 AM.

Nameless
    Left by mutual consent!
    That was a political decision if ever I've seen one. Kovalev won that fight, not by much, but he won it. Scoring is subjective, so when do you ever see all 3 judge's scoring it the same?? I feel heart sick for Kovalev, but not surprised - a Russian just got shafted by America, and elite level boxing is still corrupt.

Funny how opinions differ when scoring a fight. I had Ward by a round.

Thought Kovalev was aggressive and throwing a lot but a lot of punches bounced off arms or were blocked. Wards counter punching was pretty accurate and he landed the better shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Funny how opinions differ when scoring a fight. I had Ward by a round.

Thought Kovalev was aggressive and throwing a lot but a lot of punches bounced off arms or were blocked. Wards counter punching was pretty accurate and he landed the better shots.
    Just had a chat with my pal about the same thing, like you he had Ward winning, maybe I'm just biased ad I don't really like Wards style of trying to constantly grab and work the inside