hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gary Caldwell

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar

Gary Caldwell

Sacked by Wigan. 23rd place in the league.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sacked by Wigan. 23rd place in the league.
    Not a great couple of months for hibees players and managers

Quote Originally Posted by SJNB Hibby View Post
    Not a great couple of months for hibees players and managers
    Ex Hibbys

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Always liked Gary Caldwell. Gave his best in the Hibs jersey and was another player who got a panning for wanting to maximise his earnings, which for football players, is a very short career.

Got to feel sorry for Caldwell. Had Wigan performing great last season then makes the step up and struggle for the first quarter of the season and he's out a job.

Absolutely no loyalty in fitbaw whatsoever. Same wi Stubbsy last week. What ecavtly is the remit as manager of the likes of wigan and Rotherham? These clubs ain't gonna challenge for promotion to the top flight unless managers are given time to adapt to the league and find a style of play that is successful at a higher level

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    Always liked Gary Caldwell. Gave his best in the Hibs jersey and was another player who got a panning for wanting to maximise his earnings, which for football players, is a very short career.
    I never really warmed to him when he was at Hibs. I never thought he was as good as he thought he was and I got the feeling that he thought he was way too good for us, and it wasn't really backed up by performances. Given some of the players we've watched in the not too distant past I didn't ever really think he had it in him to captain Celtic and Scotland and achieve what he did. I guess it's just me but I always saw heroic lunges with him having been in the wrong place in the first place.

Strangely I really liked him for Scotland. Scored a big goal against France and put in some top performances in big games. He was a guy you could rely on to be 100% committed, when you can't always really say that about OF Scotland players.

But the Scotland situation has sunk so low that we now look like we're even crying out for a Gary Caldwell.

I suspect that like Stubbs he's a very decent manager. It's a piece of nonsense that these guys are getting fired for their teams being down but nowhere near out after a quarter of a season. I hope they both pick up decent jobs and show Wigan and Rotherham up for the clubs that they are.

Only stayed with us because no one else wanted him at the time

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe6-2 View Post
    That's a load of embittered crap! As I recall he had some options when he came to Hibs from Newcastle but opted for us because he wanted regular first team football - signed on an extension when he could have moved on for the same reasons. He only moved on to Celtic when he was confident he could nail down a place there which he did.

He was a good steady player for us and showed by his actions that money wasn't his only god - motivated more by the promise of playing regularl football and getting in the Scotland squad.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Think that he has done enough to get another shout down south. I would guess that Wigan still have fond memories of being top flight regulars and wining the FA Cup. But Caldwell has shown he can get a team out of the third tier.

Wonder if Stubbs will be approached

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Mind the reception he got against Aberdeen at home after the news of his pre-contract with Celtic came to light, sold the first goal and I'm sure we were 2 down early doors?

And his ridiculous celebration when he scored against us at Easter Road for Celtic.

**** him.
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    Mind the reception he got against Aberdeen at home after the news of his pre-contract with Celtic came to light, sold the first goal and I'm sure we were 2 down early doors?

And his ridiculous celebration when he scored against us at Easter Road for Celtic.

**** him.
    Yes agree he couldn't wait to get away, thought he was bigger than us. He was pish that day against Aberdeen he just crashed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    Regardless of how he left Hibs it's a ridiculous sacking he won promotion last season and deserved some time and loyalty back from the support and board

I was at player of year 2005..? Caldwell won. A pin coulda dropped. Not even players in attendence clapped. Mozza wasnt chuffed but so lucky same night see eddie t get standing ovation for scotland caps denied

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenNWhiteArmy View Post
    Got to feel sorry for Caldwell. Had Wigan performing great last season then makes the step up and struggle for the first quarter of the season and he's out a job.

Absolutely no loyalty in fitbaw whatsoever. Same wi Stubbsy last week. What ecavtly is the remit as manager of the likes of wigan and Rotherham? These clubs ain't gonna challenge for promotion to the top flight unless managers are given time to adapt to the league and find a style of play that is successful at a higher level
    "Absolutely no loyalty in fitbaw" .... An apt comment on a Captain Calamity thread

Quote Originally Posted by Joe6-2 View Post
    Nope, that's not exactly true now is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    Nope, that's not exactly true now is it?
    While hibs saved him he didnt stick out as solid in a defence that let us down. Played out position at times but became better than we remember. Lucky to make 30k a week

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Was always someone else's fault with him, he'd try yet another 90 yard pass that would go out of play then he'd turn and shout at people like it was their fault, same with his defending, he'd do his usual, hand up and claim offside

First and only time that I wasn't even bothered that one of our players was leaving us for one of them

Well the 2 things I remember most about him was 1/ playing a really poor pass across the box in a derby game only for the Hearts striker to intercept it and put it in the back of the net only about 5 minutes into the game.
    2/ when he got the equalizer for Celtic against us at ER and then ran up to the Hibs fans making gestures at them. We still beat them 3-2, it was one of the games Boruc made a whole load of ****ups in.
    Didn't think he was anything special as a player at all, but we did get money for him.

Turns out Will Grigg wasn't on fire too much then. Good.

Agree

Quote Originally Posted by Mon Dieu4 View Post
    Was always someone else's fault with him, he'd try yet another 90 yard pass that would go out of play then he'd turn and shout at people like it was their fault, same with his defending, he'd do his usual, hand up and claim offside

First and only time that I wasn't even bothered that one of our players was leaving us for one of them

Aye he tried the World Cup ball over and over again and it came off once every few dozen attempts. Second touch was usually a lunge.Followed by a red card. Says how poor the International team was when you look at how many caps he got, ridiculous. Made far more out of football than his mediocre ability was worthy of, but I suppose it's not just him to be fair.
    but the thing that pissed me off about him more than any other was after he'd been at Celtic about a week, he was boasting was half a stone lighter than he'd been at Hibs with the training. Obviously didn't put his all in at Hibs then if he had half a stone to spare. End of as far as I'm concerned.

@hibs.net private member
    Caldwell was a modern footballer - made absolutely no pretence he was after the best deal he could get - was a decent player for us - had a mistake in him , but was great at driving the team
    Forward 40-50 yards with his runs and passes...I recall he tried to get a deal in Holland before he signed an extension with us ...had no loyalty to any team - looked after himself...

Quote Originally Posted by pacorosssco View Post
    I was at player of year 2005..? Caldwell won. A pin coulda dropped. Not even players in attendence clapped. Mozza wasnt chuffed but so lucky same night see eddie t get standing ovation for scotland caps denied
    Yoda?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Promoted in May, Sacked in October.

Surely the way they won the league last season, didnt really invest heavily he should have been given to January?

Down south is becoming more like Italy with the hire and fire culture!

I'm sure I read an article the other day that was about someone who was the 3rd longest serving manager in the EFL and he'd been in his job under 5 years. That sums up the cut throat nature of the business (and I use that word deliberately) down there, or anywhere for that matter.

A guy who achieved promotion last season deserves longer than 3 months in the higher league. As for Caldwell at Hibs? Good player who was prone to the odd blunder which always seemed to be held against him. He was in a no win situation after signing the deal with Celtic. Ian Murray did the same with Rangers but kept it quiet and was accused of being 'sly' and 'sneaky' and far worse, Caldwell was open about it and was called 'disruptive' and a 'Judas'.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I'm sure I read an article the other day that was about someone who was the 3rd longest serving manager in the EFL and he'd been in his job under 5 years. That sums up the cut throat nature of the business (and I use that word deliberately) down there, or anywhere for that matter.

A guy who achieved promotion last season deserves longer than 3 months in the higher league. As for Caldwell at Hibs? Good player who was prone to the odd blunder which always seemed to be held against him. He was in a no win situation after signing the deal with Celtic. Ian Murray did the same with Rangers but kept it quiet and was accused of being 'sly' and 'sneaky' and far worse, Caldwell was open about it and was called 'disruptive' and a 'Judas'.
    Spot on PB.

Signing a pre contract deal with another Club who compete in the same league as your current employer was never a good idea (for any player. )However if opportunity knocks then it must be difficult to turn down a chance to better yourself and your family.

johnbc70
    Left by mutual consent!
    Was there not a story about him cheating on his wife (whom he had married only a few months earlier) with a Rangers Cheerleader. Says a lot about the man.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    He really didn't give his best in a Hibs shirt. He could have been much better for us.

No real hard feelings, but he was similar to Chris Killen - a decent player who showed zero attachment to Hibs whatsoever.

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I am going to go against the grain here and say that I liked Caldwell as a player at Hibs, although not the manner of his re-signing or subsequent leaving.

He wasn't perfect by any manner of means, but I liked the way he drove us forward late on it games and its amazing how many times under Mowbray that bore fruit.

I also cant fault him for wanting to play at the highest level he could, many of us do that in our own day jobs.

I think there is a huge amount of double standards with football supporters (and I am as guilty as anyone) we decry people for moving on to bigger challenges / bigger pay packets but if we are honest if another employer offered us substantially more cash we would jump at it.

Quote Originally Posted by johnbc70 View Post
    Was there not a story about him cheating on his wife (whom he had married only a few months earlier) with a Rangers Cheerleader. Says a lot about the man.
    Giving rise to the fabulous "what's it like to **** a Hun" chant from the East repeatedly on the 3-2 home victory that he scored in and the Holy Goalie had a 1 man horror show.