hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheltenham 2017

New alcohol limit in place for next months Festival (4 drinks per person at a time). Can only imagine what the queues will be like.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by HibernianJK View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like Ucello Conti this year off 1lb lower than last year where he ran well for a long way before not finishing his race. He also ran really well in the Thyestes chase last time out. Think he will carry my money this year.
    O'Faolains Boy was the one that caught my eye.

Has raced of some very stiff marks yet could carry only 10st 6lbs. Blacklion at 10 10 looks interesting as well as does One for Arthur at 10 6.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    O'Faolains Boy was the one that caught my eye.

Has raced of some very stiff marks yet could carry only 10st 6lbs. Blacklion at 10 10 looks interesting as well as does One for Arthur at 10 6.
    I've been disappointed with Blaklion since he won at Cheltenham but a return to that form would give him a great chance. One for Arthur does look like to have a nice weight and would love to see him run well for the North.

I've been disappointed with Blaklion since he won at Cheltenham but a return to that form would give him a great chance. One for Arthur does look like to have a nice weight and would love to see him run well for the North.
    One thing that's interesting, as per todays Racing Post, is that Outlander, who won't run, has been given top weight and a mark of 166. That's a higher rating than Synchronised, Imperial Commander, Lord Windemere, Many Clouds, Don't Push It and Hedgehunter. All of whom had achieved far more than Outlander has. The posts theory is that in the absence of a real superstar in this years entries, think Silviniaco Conti, Neptune Collognes, Imperial Commander, Long Run, Many Clouds etc in recent years that they have tried to manufacture one by falsely raising Outlanders rating.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

One thing that's interesting, as per todays Racing Post, is that Outlander, who won't run, has been given top weight and a mark of 166. That's a higher rating than Synchronised, Imperial Commander, Lord Windemere, Many Clouds, Don't Push It and Hedgehunter. All of whom had achieved far more than Outlander has. The posts theory is that in the absence of a real superstar in this years entries, think Silviniaco Conti, Neptune Collognes, Imperial Commander, Long Run, Many Clouds etc in recent years that they have tried to manufacture one by falsely raising Outlanders rating.
    You're right. I think that the Handicapper said as much. No real superstar, but much more depth. Elliot has already said Outlander won't be going so that will change things.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    New alcohol limit in place for next months Festival (4 drinks per person at a time). Can only imagine what the queues will be like.
    When I first heard about it I thought they were limiting everyone to 4 drinks in total. I would be demanding a refund if that had happened.

United we stand here....

Yanworth made to work all the way at Wincanton, made hard work of it.

Champion Hurdle still looking a very weak race.

Jezki beaten at Gowran Park as well.

Vieux Lion Rouge and Blackliom both staking their National claims at Haydock.

Decent race between them and with weights off 10 7 and 10 10 respectively in the National both must be lively contenders.

Cue Card very impressive at Ascot over less than his ideal distance. Jumping was absolutely brilliant.

Gold Cup has turned into a bit of a race again.

For some reason Skybet still have Yorkhill as joint favourite for the Champion Hurdle even though Mullins said earlier in the week that he wants to keep him chasing. Yanworth wasn't particularly impressive, and I still think they should have sent him to the World Hurdle instead, but that's just my opinion.

Some good performances but only 1 real festival clue for me was Cue Card. I had asked myself during the week that if he did put a performance today would I consider backing him again for the Gold Cup, I probably won't but that performance won't have put anyone off.

Yanworth sluggish and Jezki probably past his best. I like Petit Mouchior for CH.

Some good performances but only 1 real festival clue for me was Cue Card. I had asked myself during the week that if he did put a performance today would I consider backing him again for the Gold Cup, I probably won't but that performance won't have put anyone off.

Yanworth sluggish and Jezki probably past his best. I like Petit Mouchior for CH.
    Last time out I thought it was Many Clouds jumping that really put the pressure on Thistlecrack. If Cue Card jumps the way he did today at Cheltenham it will again put Thistlecrack. The ground will be a factor as well, good to soft or better and I'd still fancy Thistlecrack.

Zarkandar won well today and put down a bit of a marker for the Stayers, which looks quite open this year. Whether he's good enough is another matter.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Last time out I thought it was Many Clouds jumping that really put the pressure on Thistlecrack. If Cue Card jumps the way he did today at Cheltenham it will again put Thistlecrack. The ground will be a factor as well, good to soft or better and I'd still fancy Thistlecrack.

Zarkandar won well today and put down a bit of a marker for the Stayers, which looks quite open this year. Whether he's good enough is another matter.
    The winner of the gold cup will come from neither of the above imo. Cue Card won't see it out and thitlecrack will be found wanting.

United we stand here....

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TreadsoneScot
    Yanworth strikes me as a Solwhit type in that he can mop up the races he needs to in the run up to the champion hurdle but is incapable of putting in quick times. Not lost on me that Solwhit got his festival success in the World hurdle.

Quote Originally Posted by Treadstone View Post
    Yanworth strikes me as a Solwhit type in that he can mop up the races he needs to in the run up to the champion hurdle but is incapable of putting in quick times. Not lost on me that Solwhit got his festival success in the World hurdle.
    This is his year for a Championship race over hurdles as Alan King has already said they will send him chasing next year. They might just think because CH is so open why not go for it, but your right I think he's better over further and don't think he's being allowed to show his class.

This is his year for a Championship race over hurdles as Alan King has already said they will send him chasing next year. They might just think because CH is so open why not go for it, but your right I think he's better over further and don't think he's being allowed to show his class.
    Totally agree. It'll be fascinating to see how Yanworth gets on over fences next season. He wants further than 2 miles, and for that reason I would find it hard to back him on the nose at approx. 5/1, even allowing for the CH being quite open this year, but if it does come down to a slog then he does have the staying power, so it wouldn't be a surprise if he did win it. As far as the betting for the CH goes, I suppose it's a case of which form from last seasons festival you go with, the Neptune or the Supreme Novices.

Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    Totally agree. It'll be fascinating to see how Yanworth gets on over fences next season. He wants further than 2 miles, and for that reason I would find it hard to back him on the nose at approx. 5/1, even allowing for the CH being quite open this year, but if it does come down to a slog then he does have the staying power, so it wouldn't be a surprise if he did win it. As far as the betting for the CH goes, I suppose it's a case of which form from last seasons festival you go with, the Neptune or the Supreme Novices.
    I think the Supreme form looks excellent as looking through that result there are so many subsequent winners and some really top class horses in that.

For anyone who hasn't seen it or wants to watch it again BBC2 are showing Being A.P tonight at 10.

Thistlecrack ruled out of Cheltenham with a tendon injury. Can only see it being between Native River and Cue Card now.

This seasons ante post really has gone the way of the bookies. They must be laughing.

Thistlecrack ruled out of Cheltenham with a tendon injury. Can only see it being between Native River and Cue Card now.

This seasons ante post really has gone the way of the bookies. They must be laughing.
    Looking at the long range forecast it looks like there could be some heavy rain. Soft or worse and I could be tempted by Djakadam.

That'll be a painful one for so many Ante P punters, ouch.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    That'll be a painful one for so many Ante P punters, ouch.
    That was a lump on Friday for me. Now one of the most open of the championship races.

Pretty well wide open now, and if the ground does indeed turn up heavy, Djackadam would be the logical pic. It was heavy at Haydock when Cue Card beat Coneygree, but I've always had this niggling feeling that the extra couple of furlongs at Cheltenham might be a step too far. Just my opinion though. I'd love to see Cue Card win it, but I think I'll be erring on the side of caution and going each way on Empire of Dirt.

I think the injury to Thistlecrack along with the Mullins string shows just how hard it is to keep a horse right over a long period. It really show just how special horses like Istabraq, Big Bucks, Best Mate, Kauto Star etc were to keep coming back and winning at the highest level year upon year.

Looking at the long range forecast it looks like there could be some heavy rain. Soft or worse and I could be tempted by Djakadam.
    Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    Pretty well wide open now, and if the ground does indeed turn up heavy, Djackadam would be the logical pic. It was heavy at Haydock when Cue Card beat Coneygree, but I've always had this niggling feeling that the extra couple of furlongs at Cheltenham might be a step too far. Just my opinion though. I'd love to see Cue Card win it, but I think I'll be erring on the side of caution and going each way on Empire of Dirt.
    Djakadam would definitely be a safe bet. We know he stays and goes on soft. Agree with Cue Card now at 11 that 3m 2 1/4f could be a bit far. Glad CC owners going for GC though. I like Sizing John for a place but Native River will probably carry most of my money.

@hibs.net private member cheltenhamhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Who's going down this year. I'm heading down for the Thursday and Friday as usual. There's a hibs pub in Cheltenham as well. It would be great if we had a game on at the time.
    The pub is called The Adam and Eve, it's on Townsend Street (10 minute walk from the High Street) It's run by a mad Hibby and another one works behind the bar (me) cracking wee boozer, would be great to see you and any other Hibbys travelling down.

There's a lot of good things being said locally about Ami Desbois in The Albert Bartlett Novices Hurdle, I've had a wee nibble e/w @ 25/1 at the moment, boss went to see it on the gallops yesterday morning and said it is an absolute beast of a horse
    Last edited by cheltenhamhibee; 22-02-2017 at 02:13 AM.

Limini turns over Apple's Jade at Punchestown. Throws the mares market up in the air again.

Limini turns over Apple's Jade at Punchestown. Throws the mares market up in the air again.
    Surprised at that one but the rumours were Limini was in excellent form. I was hoping to see AJ win then go CH route. Not now.

Gamer IDs

Geraghty out of festival.