hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheltenham 2017

Cheltenham 2017

With the jumps season just about to come alive I thought it about time to start the annual Cheltenham build up thread.

Just watched Thistlecrack make a very decent start over fences winning easily on the bridle at Chepstow. Third Intention won the Old Roan on Saturday past whilst Sire De Grugy flopped in the same race. Cue Card and Coneygree could both be seen in the Charlie Hall on Saturday coming.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Thistlecrack is very exciting, what a machine!

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    With the jumps season just about to come alive I thought it about time to start the annual Cheltenham build up thread.

Just watched Thistlecrack make a very decent start over fences winning easily on the bridle at Chepstow. Third Intention won the Old Roan on Saturday past whilst Sire De Grugy flopped in the same race. Cue Card and Coneygree could both be seen in the Charlie Hall on Saturday coming.
    It might be my memory playing tricks on me, but I can't remember many staying hurdle winners going on to be top notch chasers.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    It might be my memory playing tricks on me, but I can't remember many staying hurdle winners going on to be top notch chasers.
    I can't think of many of the top of my head, be interesting to see how Thistlecrack does, certainly looked the part today but the novice chase at Cheltenham in a couple of weeks and then the Kauto Star on Boxing Day will likely be far more informative.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TreadsoneScot
    Excited for the jumps season. The Gigginstown fallout with Mullins automatically ramps up the interest in the Irish graded races.

Surprising defeat for Cue Card, pushed back into 3rd by Irish Cavalier and Menorah.

Sad news breaking from the Mullins yard that Vautour has had to be euthanised after breaking a leg in a 'freak accident'.

Big loss of a real superstar of jumps racing.

Gamer IDs

Gutted about that. Ryanair was a real crack performance.

Horrible news about Vautour he really was one of the best out there.

Was looking forward to him tackling the 3m division all the way to Cheltenham this season.

Long way off but the Gold Cup looks wide open.

Coneygree, Don Cossack (hopefully), Cue Card, Thistlecrack and hopefully a young horse or 2 to shake them up.

Valseur Lido was impressive at Down Royal on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Valseur Lido was impressive at Down Royal on Saturday.
    He was that. Thought Silviniavo Conti showed plenty in defeat as well and he's one who has traditionally needed his 1st run out. Campaigned well he could still win a few decent races imo.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Aye, he jumped really well but, was no match for the winner.

Thistlecrack wins by 3 3/4 lengths at 1/7, never saw the race so, nae idea what type of performance it was.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Thistlecrack wins by 3 3/4 lengths at 1/7, never saw the race so, nae idea what type of performance it was.
    Won easy and was eased right down on the run in. Left a good novice chaser in Mariniero well behind.

In saying that there were a few jumping mistakes and he made quite a bad one at the 5th or 6th. Think Tizzard said afterwards he will likely run in the Kauto Star at Kempton on Boxing Day.

Felt a bit sorry for Minella Rocco in the last race, if it hadn't been hampered during the carnage with the loose horse I think it would probably have won.

Nicky Henderson just announced that Sprinter Sacre has been retired.

Wonderful horse and hopefully he has a good retirement. Selfishly a bit gutted as I'm down at Cheltenham on the Wednesday next year and had hoped to see him in action.

Sad news about SS but even worse news that Simonsig had to be put down after falling today. Brilliant novice with bad injury problems.

Quote Originally Posted by jackkennedy1 View Post
    Sad news about SS but even worse news that Simonsig had to be put down after falling today. Brilliant novice with bad injury problems.
    My mate was down and said it was nasty. Simonsig fell, got up, stumbled on for about 100 yards then collapsed right in front of the stands. I was watching on TV and Simon Holts voice on the commentary said it all, you knew it was bad.

Days like today and the situation with Freddie Tylicki remind you just what a tough sport it can be at times.

Anyone got any thoughts on the Betfair Chase on Saturday?

I'm quite tempted by Seeyouatmidnight at somewhere between 7s and 9s. I think Coneygree will need the run, Cue Card may be caught out if he tries to go with Coneygree from the front, Silviniaco Conti isn't the horse he was and I'm not convinced Irish Cavalier wasn't flattered last time out.

The Jockey Club have announced they have commisioned a trophy to go along with the £1M bonus for winning the 'triple crown', named after Kauto Star as the only horse to do it. Tbh looking at the crop of 3 mile chases this year I'd be suprised if it was won.

Gamer IDs

Anyone got any thoughts on the Betfair Chase on Saturday?

I'm quite tempted by Seeyouatmidnight at somewhere between 7s and 9s. I think Coneygree will need the run, Cue Card may be caught out if he tries to go with Coneygree from the front, Silviniaco Conti isn't the horse he was and I'm not convinced Irish Cavalier wasn't flattered last time out.

The Jockey Club have announced they have commisioned a trophy to go along with the £1M bonus for winning the 'triple crown', named after Kauto Star as the only horse to do it. Tbh looking at the crop of 3 mile chases this year I'd be suprised if it was won.
    Corker of a race. John Hunt on Twitter fearful a bit of the weather, could be a real slog.
    Not sure Seeyouatmidnight has the class but may not come down to that. Small interest on Coneygree.

Cue Card different league today. Coneygree probably needed that but doesn't take anything away from the winner. Would love to see Don Cossack and CC meet at Cheltenham again.

Quote Originally Posted by jackkennedy1 View Post
    Cue Card different league today. Coneygree probably needed that but doesn't take anything away from the winner. Would love to see Don Cossack and CC meet at Cheltenham again.
    Just watched the race this morning.

Cue Card looks as good as last year, Coneygree ran a stormer in 2nd and was always going to struggle to win it from the front so lacking in race fitness, Silviniaco Conti is in permanent decline and both Irish Cavalier and Seeyouatmidnight aren't grade 1 horses.

King George should be a cracker.

Gamer IDs

Thistlecrack more assured today than his last outing. Straightforward too.

Possibly not totally relevant to Cheltenham but Many Clouds just put in a very good round of jumping to win well at Aintree. Nasty looking fall for Minella Rocco in the same race, didn't look good.

Un De Sceaux just pips Sire De Grugy in the Tingle Creek. Race of the season so far imo with God's Own running on well in 3rd as well.

At mad ran on well after his blunders cost him race

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ar mad

Gamer IDs

After today the form of O O Seven looks rock solid. 16s generally available for JLT. Worth taking a chance that could be his target.

Quote Originally Posted by cammy1969 View Post
    At mad ran on well after his blunders cost him race

Plan seems to be to run him in the King George. Be interesting to see him stepped up in trip as he fairly flew up the hill.

Un De Sceaux just pips Sire De Grugy in the Tingle Creek. Race of the season so far imo with God's Own running on well in 3rd as well.
    I've lost a fair bit of money on God's Own this season. Seems to be nearly winning all the time. Always finishes strongly whether over 2m or 2m4. Very frustrating