hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheltenham 2017

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?3...76#post4880076

I'm selling tickets for the 1st 2 days of next years festival at a reduced price due to a change in plans if anyone is interested.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TreadsoneScot
    Coneygree out of King George

Gamer IDs

Big ups to the Tizzards letting Thistlecrack take on Cue Card.

Quote Originally Posted by Treadstone View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Was sure he'd go in the Kauto Novices.

Suppose Coneygree being out does open it up a bit and they may fancy they'll run into at least a place.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Not sure how much of a say Tizzard had in it. Seems like the owner's made up his mind. I have a feeling he would have rather gone for the Novice race.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by jackkennedy1 View Post
    Not sure how much of a say Tizzard had in it. Seems like the owner's made up his mind. I have a feeling he would have rather gone for the Novice race.
    Owners decision yes but Tizzard gave "full backing" don't think they would have went otherwise even though they were keen on the big one.

Owners decision yes but Tizzard gave "full backing" don't think they would have went otherwise even though they were keen on the big one.
    I always respect owners and trainers trying their luck in the bigger races. Thistlecrack would have walked the Kauto Star but they are really testing him.

The Bradstocks done it with Coneygree in the Gold Cup whe he was entered in the Ryanair and RSA and got the reward.

Don't think he could say much else to be honest but besides the point he's in there now.

Shaping up to be a great race now!

You should always go with the proven form rather than potential but, I'm loath to back against Thistlecrack.

7 confirmations for the King George

Cue Card
    Thistlecrack
    Road to Riches
    Silviniaco Conti
    Roi de Francs
    Tea fur Two
    Josses Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    7 confirmations for the King George

Cue Card
    Thistlecrack
    Road to Riches
    Silviniaco Conti
    Roi de Francs
    Tea fur Two
    Josses Hill
    Disappointed in only 7 declarations. 2nd most prestigious race in GB+I and a bit of a kick in the teeth for EW punters.

Disappointed in only 7 declarations. 2nd most prestigious race in GB+I and a bit of a kick in the teeth for EW punters.
    I have TC at 8/1 for the GC but given this is his biggest test to date in this sphere and CC loves the odd mistake, I wouldn't let 7 runners put you off having an EW bet. Do the homework right and there's potential for massive value elsewhere.. just don't ask me to name it!

Seems to be a suggestion that Altior is going to step up from the novices and run in the Desert Orchid at Kempton.

Seems to be a suggestion that Altior is going to step up from the novices and run in the Desert Orchid at Kempton.
    Would love to see that would be a great race against Sire De Grugy and Special Tiara. Would always go a decent clip with ST in the race would really put Altior's novice jumping to the test.

King George field is now only 5.

Thistlecrack
    Cue Card
    Silviniaco Conti
    Josses Hill
    Tea for Two

King George field is now only 5.

Thistlecrack
    Cue Card
    Silviniaco Conti
    Josses Hill
    Tea for Two
    Should still be a decent race, although the Tizzard horses seem to have scared off the opposition, without thinking about it too much I cannae think of a smaller KG field in recent years.

Without checking the exchanges seems to be 6-5 TC & 5/4 CC at the moment.

What a horse Thistlecrack is.

Barely even came off the bridle. A star chaser already and suddenly that price for the GC looks generous.

As I said at the start of the thread what a machine. Ended up not having a bet in the race but, it was a joy to watch.

A cracking top weight carrying performance from Native River to win The Welsh National, what a season Tizzard is having.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    A cracking top weight carrying performance from Native River to win The Welsh National, what a season Tizzard is having.
    Still only a youngster as well. Few big handicap wins in him yet. Jumps well enough to go to Aintree imo.

Altior was impressive earlier as well albeit he didn't beat a lot. Few big wins for the Mullins team as well, Cheltenham shaping up nicely.

Gamer IDs

Still only a youngster as well. Few big handicap wins in him yet. Jumps well enough to go to Aintree imo.

Altior was impressive earlier as well albeit he didn't beat a lot. Few big wins for the Mullins team as well, Cheltenham shaping up nicely.
    I get a feeling that he's going to get caught between a rock and a hard place regarding his rating. Too high for the big handicaps and not quite good enough for the top grade 1s. Should mop up the weaker races though.

I get a feeling that he's going to get caught between a rock and a hard place regarding his rating. Too high for the big handicaps and not quite good enough for the top grade 1s. Should mop up the weaker races though.
    Below Thistlecrack I think Native River is bang in the mix for the top 3m+ chaser around. Will most definitely have a say in the Gold Cup and was my early tip for the National after staying on 2nd in the 4 miler at Cheltenham

Anyone else heading to Musselburgh tomorrow? Some good horses making the trip which is good. Prize money of £30000 and £40000 on offer for a couple of races will do that.

Below Thistlecrack I think Native River is bang in the mix for the top 3m+ chaser around. Will most definitely have a say in the Gold Cup and was my early tip for the National after staying on 2nd in the 4 miler at Cheltenham
    Got to agree with the previous poster, whilst Native River is undoubtedly talented, theres a huge difference between winning a National of any variety and winning the big one at The Festival.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Got to agree with the previous poster, whilst Native River is undoubtedly talented, theres a huge difference between winning a National of any variety and winning the big one at The Festival.
    I agree. By 'have a say' I was more trying to get at 'definitely be in the mix for places' maybe I used the wrong wording but I can't look past Thistecrack and MAYBE Don Cossack. Below them there is then Native River, Don Poli (great run in Lexus), Djakadam, Coneygree. I don't think Outlander will prove to be that good at Cheltenham even though he wont the Lexus

First Team Breakthrough SmithyHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: SmithyNYG
    Anyone else heading to Musselburgh tomorrow? Some good horses making the trip which is good. Prize money of £30000 and £40000 on offer for a couple of races will do that.
    Aye I'll be heading down tomorrow, not backed anything for a good while so looking forward to a decent days racing!

Quote Originally Posted by SmithyHibee View Post
    Aye I'll be heading down tomorrow, not backed anything for a good while so looking forward to a decent days racing!
    Good day and Superb Story ground it out well for a big win for me. Also had Clondaw Kaempfer. Was on Castafiore in the 1st who was going to have a say until he fell.

Bit of a downer seeing the injury to Vinny Gambini, that really wasn't nice and was made worse by a group of 'lads' next to us jeering and laughing about it. Thankfully most people were a bit more respectful.

Left by mutual consent!
    Good day and Superb Story ground it out well for a big win for me. Also had Clondaw Kaempfer. Was on Castafiore in the 1st who was going to have a say until he fell.

Bit of a downer seeing the injury to Vinny Gambini, that really wasn't nice and was made worse by a group of 'lads' next to us jeering and laughing about it. Thankfully most people were a bit more respectful.
    On a separate point, the coverage on ITV was extremely enjoyable to watch and a breath of fresh air to the somewhat staid C4 efforts.

Promising début. Looks a proven stayer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergey View Post
    On a separate point, the coverage on ITV was extremely enjoyable to watch and a breath of fresh air to the somewhat staid C4 efforts.

Promising début. Looks a proven stayer.
    I watched a bit of it back later and thought it was a decent start. I think a lot of it was aimed at non racing fans with some pretty simple terms explained ('the mare there - that's a female horse') probably the best example. In saying that racing desperately needs a new TV audience so if that helps bring it in then so be it.

I didn find the segment with Victoria Pendleton explaining to Mick Fitzgerald how to jump a hurdle mildly amusing.