hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 91 to 111 of 111

Thread: Cheltenham 2017

  1. #91
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    8,178
    I'll be opposing thistlecrack on the day. He's way to short a price for a novice. If he jumps well he'll almost certainly win, but there will be a few jockeys trying to pressure him into a mistake imo.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #92
    Coaching Staff HUTCHYHIBBY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    EDINBURGH
    Age
    45
    Posts
    13,527
    The value on TC has certainly gone, I never had a bet in the KG because I couldn't split the Tizzard horses before the race, I think I'll just enjoy the spectacle of the GC without a punt too.

  4. #93
    I'm just delighted I got Thistlecrack at 6s weeks back. Not a huge investment but should pay for the week if he wins. I'll probably have a punt on Many Clouds EW if he runs and the price is right as well.

  5. #94
    Coaching Staff HUTCHYHIBBY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    EDINBURGH
    Age
    45
    Posts
    13,527
    Whilst we are talking gee gees, have you ever tried to explain to a non punter why certain horses are cheered even when most folk doing the cheering haven't actually backed them?

    This link sums it up for me.

    http://www.theguardian.com/sport/200...acing.gregwood

  6. #95
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Whilst we are talking gee gees, have you ever tried to explain to a non punter why certain horses are cheered even when most folk doing the cheering haven't actually backed them?

    This link sums it up for me.

    http://www.theguardian.com/sport/200...acing.gregwood
    I was at Cheltenham when Istabraq got a brilliant send off when pulled up in his final race, I saw Big Bucks cheered into the parade ring before his final start and warmly applauded afterwards after finishing out the places, I was at Kemptom with my Grandad as barely more than a toddler when Dessie was cheered when he cantered over the finishing line sound after falling in his final start, a friend phoned me to let me hear the ovation for Kauto Star when he was pulled up in the 2012 Gold Cup.......

    I've just always loved horse racing especially national hunt and been lucky to meet a lot of people involved in the sport at various levels. Nothing bugs me more than people who make ignorant comments along the lines of 'no one actually cares about the horses' or 'it's only about money'. I'd love to hear them say that to a lad or groom who look after the horses every day. I stood with the groom of a horse called Simonsberg who was fatally injured at Musselburgh a few years ago and I've never seen someone so inconsolable.

    The great thing about the jumps especially is they give you a chance to get to know horses. I understand for some it's just about having a flutter which is fine, for others horse racing is the one bet on the Grand National and I even accept some people don't like the sport for various reasons. However if you don't understand that for some racing is about more than that it's probably best just not to say anything at all.
    I fell in love with football as I was later to fall in love with women,. Suddenly, uncritically giving no thought to the pain it could bring. - Nick Hornby

  7. #96
    @hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Corstorphine
    Age
    50
    Posts
    1,167
    Good post......I love horse racing and a day at the races is my favourite. Very rarely have a bet if I'm not at the races though. Was lucky enough to have a friend who has owned horses and the buzz round the whole thing was brilliant. Going down to Musselburgh next Fri.

  8. #97
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was at Cheltenham when Istabraq got a brilliant send off when pulled up in his final race, I saw Big Bucks cheered into the parade ring before his final start and warmly applauded afterwards after finishing out the places, I was at Kemptom with my Grandad as barely more than a toddler when Dessie was cheered when he cantered over the finishing line sound after falling in his final start, a friend phoned me to let me hear the ovation for Kauto Star when he was pulled up in the 2012 Gold Cup.......

    I've just always loved horse racing especially national hunt and been lucky to meet a lot of people involved in the sport at various levels. Nothing bugs me more than people who make ignorant comments along the lines of 'no one actually cares about the horses' or 'it's only about money'. I'd love to hear them say that to a lad or groom who look after the horses every day. I stood with the groom of a horse called Simonsberg who was fatally injured at Musselburgh a few years ago and I've never seen someone so inconsolable.

    The great thing about the jumps especially is they give you a chance to get to know horses. I understand for some it's just about having a flutter which is fine, for others horse racing is the one bet on the Grand National and I even accept some people don't like the sport for various reasons. However if you don't understand that for some racing is about more than that it's probably best just not to say anything at all.
    Great post.

    I don't mind flat racing but with that being a lot about the breeding you only really get to know the best horses for 2/3 years depending when they start racing. Some only have 3 y/o careers.

    With National Hunt you call follow a horse for 7/8 years and really fall in love with them. I was gutted when Vautour died last year and I'm sure others have felt the way about other horses. Most likely yourself with Kauto Star.

  9. #98
    Coaching Staff HUTCHYHIBBY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    EDINBURGH
    Age
    45
    Posts
    13,527
    Quote Originally Posted by jackkennedy1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Great post.

    I don't mind flat racing but with that being a lot about the breeding you only really get to know the best horses for 2/3 years depending when they start racing. Some only have 3 y/o careers.

    With National Hunt you call follow a horse for 7/8 years and really fall in love with them. I was gutted when Vautour died last year and I'm sure others have felt the way about other horses. Most likely yourself with Kauto Star.
    I prefer the jumps too, theres nothing more spectacular than a top class two mile chase, Viking Flagship epitomised everything that is great about the sport.

  10. #99
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    8,178
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I prefer the jumps too, theres nothing more spectacular than a top class two mile chase, Viking Flagship epitomised everything that is great about the sport.
    One Man winning the champions chase was the most thrilling thing I've witnessed on a race track, it was electric.

  11. #100
    Valseur Lido now out for the season.

    Gigginstown not having much luck
    I fell in love with football as I was later to fall in love with women,. Suddenly, uncritically giving no thought to the pain it could bring. - Nick Hornby

  12. #101
    Coaching Staff HUTCHYHIBBY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    EDINBURGH
    Age
    45
    Posts
    13,527
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    One Man winning the champions chase was the most thrilling thing I've witnessed on a race track, it was electric.
    IIRC we were in The Horseshoe Bar (quite apt) in Glasgow prior to the 0-0 draw with Celtic at Ibrox in The Scottish Cup and VF won The Melling Chase and most of the boozer started clapping, it was an odd few seconds for the folk that were none the wiser! :-)

  13. #102
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    8,178
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    IIRC we were in The Horseshoe Bar (quite apt) in Glasgow prior to the 0-0 draw with Celtic at Ibrox in The Scottish Cup and VF won The Melling Chase and most of the boozer started clapping, it was an odd few seconds for the folk that were none the wiser! :-)
    I love the 2 mile chases. I remember being at Musselburgh years ago and there was a 2 mile chase in the lead up to Cheltenham and 2 of the best 2 mile chasers Scotland has seen in the recent past were running. One was clay county and I think the other was moment of truth. Seeing 2 top class chasers at such close range was brilliant. I backed the winner which made it more special

  14. #103
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    One Man winning the champions chase was the most thrilling thing I've witnessed on a race track, it was electric.
    I was at Cheltenham when Master Minded won it by 19 lengths. It was incredible.

    Interestingly after Master Minded was retired following his life threatening injury in the King George he just disappeared completely off the radar. He was taken away from Paul Nicholls yard shortly afterwards and even his groom wasn't aware what had happened to him. He appeared in a channel 4 piece and then it all got a bit mysterious. A girl I know spent about 18 months tracking him down and finally found out he is living on a farm in Newmarket with a lady who spent about 2 years nursing him back to health and easing him back into being ridden.

    There's plenty things I could say about Clive Smith at this point but if you can't say anything nice and all that....

  15. #104
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    8,178
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was at Cheltenham when Master Minded won it by 19 lengths. It was incredible.

    Interestingly after Master Minded was retired following his life threatening injury in the King George he just disappeared completely off the radar. He was taken away from Paul Nicholls yard shortly afterwards and even his groom wasn't aware what had happened to him. He appeared in a channel 4 piece and then it all got a bit mysterious. A girl I know spent about 18 months tracking him down and finally found out he is living on a farm in Newmarket with a lady who spent about 2 years nursing him back to health and easing him back into being ridden.

    There's plenty things I could say about Clive Smith at this point but if you can't say anything nice and all that....
    Master minded was absolute class. Rarely has there ever been a better moving horse, it all looked so easy. Iirc he was a pretty young horse when he won his first champion chase. There was so many young French horses being brought over by pipe and nicholls at that time.

  16. #105
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Master minded was absolute class. Rarely has there ever been a better moving horse, it all looked so easy. Iirc he was a pretty young horse when he won his first champion chase. There was so many young French horses being brought over by pipe and nicholls at that time.
    5 year old. He went off at 3/1 that day which was about the best value bet I ever had. Paid for the whole week.

    He was a brilliant jumper. Really economical and lightning fast through the air.
    I fell in love with football as I was later to fall in love with women,. Suddenly, uncritically giving no thought to the pain it could bring. - Nick Hornby

  17. #106
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    8,178
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    5 year old. He went off at 3/1 that day which was about the best value bet I ever had. Paid for the whole week.

    He was a brilliant jumper. Really economical and lightning fast through the air.
    He was very similar to best mate in that respect. It's sad to hear how some of these great horses get discarded once their racing career is finished. When you think about how much master minded made for his owner it's not too much to ask that he provides a decent retirement for his horse.

  18. #107
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He was very similar to best mate in that respect. It's sad to hear how some of these great horses get discarded once their racing career is finished. When you think about how much master minded made for his owner it's not too much to ask that he provides a decent retirement for his horse.
    From what I gather his retirement is a happy one. He's out in the field and is well excercised and so on. I belive Clive Smith pays for his upkeep. It's more the shabby way Paul Nicholls and his staff who looked after the horse for so many years were treated. Basically given no info on what the plan was and the advice they offered was ignored. Not disimilar to the very public spat with the same owner re Kauto Stars retirement.

  19. #108
    Nice Scottish trained winner in the Classic Chase at Warwick in One for Arthur. Likely to be aimed at the Grand National now.

    The one to take from the race for me (with Aintree in mind) though was Houblon Des Obeaux. Stayed on from well off the pace into 4th in horrible ground following on from staying on into 3rd in the Welsh National. A wee bit further and he'll be right there. Definitely in my thoughts for the National.

  20. #109
    There's been a lot of tragedy in horse racing over the years, but in my opinion this story just about tops the lot. Brindisi Breeze, ridden by Campbell Gillies showing top class form to win the Albert Bartlett Novice Hurdle in 2012. It was a brilliant performance, beating a lot of good horses.

    https://youtu.be/80L8lxffnhE

    2 months later Brindisi Breeze was killed in a freak accident, jumping out of his paddock and killed by an oncoming tanker. A month after that Campbell Gillies drowned in a swimming pool after a night out with friends.

    Master Minded was a top class 2 mile chaser, but the two best two miler chasers I've seen were Moscow Flyer and Sprinter Sacre. All about opinions though.

  21. #110
    Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There's been a lot of tragedy in horse racing over the years, but in my opinion this story just about tops the lot. Brindisi Breeze, ridden by Campbell Gillies showing top class form to win the Albert Bartlett Novice Hurdle in 2012. It was a brilliant performance, beating a lot of good horses.

    https://youtu.be/80L8lxffnhE

    2 months later Brindisi Breeze was killed in a freak accident, jumping out of his paddock and killed by an oncoming tanker. A month after that Campbell Gillies drowned in a swimming pool after a night out with friends.

    Master Minded was a top class 2 mile chaser, but the two best two miler chasers I've seen were Moscow Flyer and Sprinter Sacre. All about opinions though.
    Campbell was a friend of mine, tragic doesn't begin to cover the story. Really nice guy and would have gone on to be one of the top jockeys, he was that good.

    I was in Dublin with friends the day Brindisi won the Albert Bartlett. He seemed to sprint the whole 3 miles. The whole pub we were in had backed Boston Bob and we got a lot of stick that no way could a Scottish trained horse get within 30 lengths of a Mullins horse. We all had a flutter on Brindisi. It was quite satisfying to see about 4 dozen Irishmen with their faces tripping them after the race.

  22. #111
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Campbell was a friend of mine, tragic doesn't begin to cover the story. Really nice guy and would have gone on to be one of the top jockeys, he was that good.

    I was in Dublin with friends the day Brindisi won the Albert Bartlett. He seemed to sprint the whole 3 miles. The whole pub we were in had backed Boston Bob and we got a lot of stick that no way could a Scottish trained horse get within 30 lengths of a Mullins horse. We all had a flutter on Brindisi. It was quite satisfying to see about 4 dozen Irishmen with their faces tripping them after the race.
    It was dreadfully sad, he actually went to the same school as some of my in-laws. It was actually one of the best Cheltenham days for me from a betting perspective, Brindisi Breeze topped off a brilliant day for me. Who knows what they both would have gone on to achieve, they both had big future's ahead of them, and as you say, Gillies was a very good up and coming jockey. Also as you've pointed out, I don't think I've ever seen a horse virtually sprint for 3 miles over hurdles, it was a remarkable performance.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved