hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 91 to 117 of 117
  1. #91
    Left by mutual consent!
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    A perpetual situation comedy.
    Posts
    763
    I heard the complainers frustration on the news last night. I can't help feeling that he missed the point.

    The best way to promote freedom of one group is not to attack the freedom of another. I hate to use the word snowflakes, but at times I feel the rainbow alliance is putting the advances in civil liberties which have been achieved in jeopardy.

    They should be careful what they wish for. Most people are reasonable but when activists start going to excess like this, and hit the wrong target, it sends out the wrong message.

    For example, a museum in London had been forced to change its exhibition praising the contribution of "womXn" in society.

    Google what's that about, and you start to feel that there are much more important jobs to be getting on with.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #92
    @hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    22,701
    Peter Tatchell's take on it.

    He's not always my favourite guy, but IMO he's spot-on here.

    https://rightsinfo.org/peter-tatchel...of-expression/

    Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

  4. #93
    Left by mutual consent!
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    A perpetual situation comedy.
    Posts
    763
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Peter Tatchell's take on it.

    He's not always my favourite guy, but IMO he's spot-on here.

    https://rightsinfo.org/peter-tatchel...of-expression/

    Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    Like the way he phrased it, "a gay baker doesnt have to bake a cake with a homophobic message".

  5. #94
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Peter Tatchell's take on it.

    He's not always my favourite guy, but IMO he's spot-on here.

    https://rightsinfo.org/peter-tatchel...of-expression/

    Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    Hard to argue with any of that. Spot on covers it.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

  6. #95
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Brandenburg
    Age
    53
    Posts
    10,245
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Peter Tatchell's take on it.

    He's not always my favourite guy, but IMO he's spot-on here.

    https://rightsinfo.org/peter-tatchel...of-expression/

    Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

  7. #96
    Coaching Staff Smartie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Age
    41
    Posts
    7,960
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Peter Tatchell's take on it.

    He's not always my favourite guy, but IMO he's spot-on here.

    https://rightsinfo.org/peter-tatchel...of-expression/

    Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    I normally can accept people holding an alternative view and can understand why someone I disagree with holds their opinion, but Tatchell nails it 100% and I find it hard to understand how anyone can disagree with his position on this?

  8. #97
    Coaching Staff NAE NOOKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Galashiels
    Posts
    10,396
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Peter Tatchell's take on it.

    He's not always my favourite guy, but IMO he's spot-on here.

    https://rightsinfo.org/peter-tatchel...of-expression/

    Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    . More or less what I was saying in my posts.

  9. #98
    Testimonial Due
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    1,300
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I used to think that Bert and Ernie were just pals who shared a bed.
    They have seperate beds.

    Supposed to just be good buddies..according to producers.

  10. #99
    @hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    22,701
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I used to think that Bert and Ernie were just pals who shared a bed.
    You're thinking of Eric and Ernie.

    They were camper than Butlin's.

  11. #100
    Testimonial Due Colr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    London
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,785
    Where can one buy a gay cake?

  12. #101
    First Team Breakthrough
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    199
    Quote Originally Posted by Chic Murray View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I heard the complainers frustration on the news last night. I can't help feeling that he missed the point.

    The best way to promote freedom of one group is not to attack the freedom of another. I hate to use the word snowflakes, but at times I feel the rainbow alliance is putting the advances in civil liberties which have been achieved in jeopardy.

    They should be careful what they wish for. Most people are reasonable but when activists start going to excess like this, and hit the wrong target, it sends out the wrong message.

    For example, a museum in London had been forced to change its exhibition praising the contribution of "womXn" in society.

    Google what's that about, and you start to feel that there are much more important jobs to be getting on with.
    if its the Wellcome exhibition you are referring to, they weren't in any way "forced to change the name". It was the museums own choice, and it has been widely derided and mocked by womens groups, and they ultimately issued an apology accepting they got it wrong.
    It does change your point somewhat, unless it is a different event...

  13. #102
    @hibs.net private member Scouse Hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    51
    Posts
    16,925
    Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Where can one buy a gay cake?
    Fairy cakes are widely available.
    "If a player is not interfering with play or seeking to gain
    an advantage, then he should be."

  14. #103
    @hibs.net private member Peevemor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Saint-Malo, Brittany
    Age
    51
    Posts
    17,694
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fairy cakes are widely available.
    You'll go to the burny hot place for that.

  15. #104
    Left by mutual consent!
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    A perpetual situation comedy.
    Posts
    763
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    if its the Wellcome exhibition you are referring to, they weren't in any way "forced to change the name". It was the museums own choice, and it has been widely derided and mocked by womens groups, and they ultimately issued an apology accepting they got it wrong.
    It does change your point somewhat, unless it is a different event...
    Yes it was. People complained, and they changed it.

    Help me out, why did they call it WomXn in the first place, and why was that offensive to some.

    I honestly didn't have a scooby what the piece was about, and it all seemed a bit trivial to me.

    For me, somebody somewhere had taken things too far. I'm pretty open minded, but to be honest I thought the whole lot of them could surely be finding something more important to argue about.
    Last edited by Chic Murray; 24-10-2018 at 12:19 PM.

  16. #105
    @hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    22,701
    Quote Originally Posted by Chic Murray View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes it was. People complained, and they changed it.

    Help me out, why did they call it WomXn in the first place, and why was that offensive to some.

    I honestly didn't have a scooby what the piece was about, and it all seemed a bit trivial to me.

    For me, somebody somewhere had taken things too far. I'm pretty open minded, but to be honest I thought the whole lot of them could surely be finding something more important to argue about.
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.b...mp/uk-45810709

    Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

  17. #106
    Coaching Staff lyonhibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Zurich
    Age
    33
    Posts
    11,922
    Quote Originally Posted by Chic Murray View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes it was. People complained, and they changed it.

    Help me out, why did they call it WomXn in the first place, and why was that offensive to some.

    I honestly didn't have a scooby what the piece was about, and it all seemed a bit trivial to me.

    For me, somebody somewhere had taken things too far. I'm pretty open minded, but to be honest I thought the whole lot of them could surely be finding something more important to argue about.
    Your last sentence summarises perfectly my gut reaction to an awful lot of the stooshies I see in the news of late.

    "Is this really the most important thing going on in their lives right now. Will this really further their cause (whatever that may be) meaningfully??"

  18. #107
    Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Your last sentence summarises perfectly my gut reaction to an awful lot of the stooshies I see in the news of late.

    "Is this really the most important thing going on in their lives right now. Will this really further their cause (whatever that may be) meaningfully??"
    There definitely seems to be a growing trend to make something out of nothing. I saw something the other week about Kleenex being bombarded with complaints about mansize tissues because a little girl had asked her Mum 'can Mummies use them too?' or similar. Firstly that never happened, secondly if it did are we really so stupid we can't explain that to a child. thirdly I've become something of a regular at Mothercare in the last couple of years; it's never once crossed my mind, until today, to complain to them about the name and suggest that as an equal, valuable and contributing partner in my daughters upbringing they really should rename their store Motherandfathercare. Of course that excludes same sex and other 'non traditional' parents so it should really be motherandfatherorfatherandfatherormotherandmothero rsingleparentfamilyornonnucleartraditionalfamilyor nonbinarygendernonspecificcare.

    Ridiculous of course but no more so than not being able to comprehend and explain mansize tissues to a child in a world in which genuine inequality still exists.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

  19. #108
    Left by mutual consent!
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    A perpetual situation comedy.
    Posts
    763
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There definitely seems to be a growing trend to make something out of nothing. I saw something the other week about Kleenex being bombarded with complaints about mansize tissues because a little girl had asked her Mum 'can Mummies use them too?' or similar. Firstly that never happened, secondly if it did are we really so stupid we can't explain that to a child. thirdly I've become something of a regular at Mothercare in the last couple of years; it's never once crossed my mind, until today, to complain to them about the name and suggest that as an equal, valuable and contributing partner in my daughters upbringing they really should rename their store Motherandfathercare. Of course that excludes same sex and other 'non traditional' parents so it should really be motherandfatherorfatherandfatherormotherandmothero rsingleparentfamilyornonnucleartraditionalfamilyor nonbinarygendernonspecificcare.

    Ridiculous of course but no more so than not being able to comprehend and explain mansize tissues to a child in a world in which genuine inequality still exists.
    So many looking to be offended by any challenge to their values that they see problems where they don't exist.

    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...d-persons.html

  20. #109
    Quote Originally Posted by Chic Murray View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So many looking to be offended by any challenge to their values that they see problems where they don't exist.

    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...d-persons.html
    I just hope I'm a good enough parent that I manage to raise a daughter who is strong enough not to get upset about a mansize tissue or a Gentlemans Club Sandwich.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

  21. #110
    Left by mutual consent!
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    A perpetual situation comedy.
    Posts
    763
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just hope I'm a good enough parent that I manage to raise a daughter who is strong enough not to get upset about a mansize tissue or a Gentlemans Club Sandwich.
    The kids know better, try explaining to them what gender neutral means come Christmas time.

  22. #111
    @hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    22,701
    Quote Originally Posted by Chic Murray View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So many looking to be offended by any challenge to their values that they see problems where they don't exist.

    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...d-persons.html
    In my childhood, I was confused as to why gingerbread men were emasculated (in case the swearfilter doesn't allow "cocks".)
    Last edited by CropleyWasGod; 25-10-2018 at 02:15 PM.

  23. #112
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In my childhood, I was confused as to why gingerbread men were emasculated (in case the swearfilter doesn't allow "cocks".)
    It does.

    What about Action Man? He was also gender specific but had no cock. I'm more confused now than I was as a child. And how did Barbie and Ken get it on?
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

  24. #113
    Left by mutual consent!
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    A perpetual situation comedy.
    Posts
    763
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In my childhood, I was confused as to why gingerbread men were emasculated (in case the swearfilter doesn't allow "cocks".)
    I am starting to worry about you.

  25. #114
    @hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    22,701
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It does.

    What about Action Man? He was also gender specific but had no cock. I'm more confused now than I was as a child. And how did Barbie and Ken get it on?
    **** off.

    Barbie was too pure. Anyways, she was just what they call a "beard" for Ken. The Gaydar machine went off the scale for him.

    Action man didn't have a cock, to enable him to be virtually impervious to the worst torture that those nasty Jerries or Japs could inflict upon him.

  26. #115
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    **** off.

    Barbie was too pure. Anyways, she was just what they call a "beard" for Ken. The Gaydar machine went off the scale for him.

    Action man didn't have a cock, to enable him to be virtually impervious to the worst torture that those nasty Jerries or Japs could inflict upon him.
    There has to be a joke in there about a 'Japs eye' but I'd probably have to ban myself if I made it.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

  27. #116
    I suppose we will be seeing an end to lady finger bananas and sponge fingers soon. Can't be having such gender based stuff.

    Slightly off topic, I saw a photo in yesterday's metro where it was all jokes and laughs that cara delvigne (sp) was tweaking a male models nipples. #metoo👍👍

  28. #117
    @hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Chippenham/Bath
    Age
    38
    Posts
    4,882
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It does.

    What about Action Man? He was also gender specific but had no cock. I'm more confused now than I was as a child. And how did Barbie and Ken get it on?
    Scissoring.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved