hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Anyone been to Dewsbury? Not that bad to look at from the outskirts is probably a big selling point!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Indeed.

Variously claims to be the sunniest place in the UK, and the city with the highest proportion of people with degrees.

Still love the old joke, though. "Dundee, City of Discovery. Get there, and discover it's *****...."
    Passed through many times but never beennto town centre for a day/night out. Going there for a family xmas thing this weekend. Here's hoping its not quite so bad as all that!!😩

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    My sister lived in Dundee for a while about 10 years ago. I always enjoyed visiting and found the locals to be mostly pretty friendly types.

I've often got the impression it's somewhere that people who haven't visited like to slag off to make themselves feel better about their own surroundings.
    Last edited by Mr White; 15-11-2016 at 07:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyHanlon View Post
    Take yer pick:

Dundee
    Broxburn
    Carlisle
    Blackpool
    Sunderland
    Paisley

Minging places that should be levelled
    Away man. I grew up in north Edinburgh and now live in Broxburn. Half of Edinburgh is worse than Broxburn by a stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    My sister lived in Dundee for a while about 10 years ago. I always enjoyed visiting and found the locals to be mostly pretty friendly types.

I've often got the impression it's somewhere that people who haven't visited like to slag off to make themselves feel better about their own surroundings.
    Indeed, a bit rough round the edges and contains a few nutters, much the same as Carlisle, I've never had a bad experience in either.

I've been to Dundee plenty of times - have had nights out there after we've played at Tannadice or Dens Park and it's rancid. Locals are friendly enough, its just the city as a whole. It stinks and is run down.

Quote Originally Posted by stoneyburn hibs View Post
    Away man. I grew up in north Edinburgh and now live in Broxburn. Half of Edinburgh is worse than Broxburn by a stretch.
    Broxburn is full of manky huns. There's probably some nice people/houses there but i've only ever encountered the ****my element. The pubs there are avoided.

I've been to Dundee plenty of times - have had nights out there after we've played at Tannadice or Dens Park and it's rancid. Locals are friendly enough, its just the city as a whole. It stinks and is run down.

Broxburn is full of manky huns. There's probably some nice people/houses there but i've only ever encountered the ****my element. The pubs there are avoided.
    I bet both towns have been absolutely lit up by your sunny disposition each time you've blessed them with your presence

I bet both towns have been absolutely lit up by your sunny disposition each time you've blessed them with your presence
    Happy go lucky with a dash of Edinburgh snobbery :)

Happy go lucky with a dash of Edinburgh snobbery :)

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    This thread is brutal. I grew up in leith in the late 80s/90s and it had the reputation as being an awful place, but nothing could've been further from the truth. People make towns and cities what they are and while Edinburgh may be pretty to look at, there's a huge number of arse holes living here.

United we stand here....

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mixu62 View Post
    Any of the Lanarkshire towns deserve a mention, particularly Airdrie. Also once spent a childhood family holiday just outside Great Yarmouth. No idea what's so great about it. The seaside resort side of the town was OK I guess, though looking a bit tired, but then you walk a bit along the sea-front and find yourself in the middle of an industrial port. Beautiful.

Rubbish. I moved to Lanarkshire 15 years ago and I've never regretted it.

One of the nicest things about them is that they don't get snobby about other people's home towns.

Great Yarmouth's an industrial port? Shocking! So was Leith back in the day ...

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Take yer pick:

Dundee
    Broxburn
    Carlisle
    Blackpool
    Sunderland
    Paisley

Minging places that should be levelled
    Dundee's changed a lot for the better in recent years and is continuing to, especially around the riverside. I think it gets an unfair bad press. Add to the development work that it's got a big student population, which brings its own influence to the city's culture.

I feel a bit sorry for Paisley. That central spot, where you have the Abbey and the Town Hall in close proximity is one of the most striking public/civic spaces in Scotland IMO, especially given the size and circumstances of the town. The centre of Paisley itself has an incredible amount of listed architecture and I think the town has made its fair share to the broad history of Scotland.

The flipside is the undoubted levels of deprivation and what appears to be decades of neglect at a planning level.

With its location so close to what Glasgow has to offer, I think it has great potential. I'd be delighted to see it succeed for the City of Culture status in 2021 as it would hopefully bring the investment and attention that could return it to the glories it experienced 100-150 years ago.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    Dundee's changed a lot for the better in recent years and is continuing to, especially around the riverside. I think it gets an unfair bad press. Add to the development work that it's got a big student population, which brings its own influence to the city's culture.

I feel a bit sorry for Paisley. That central spot, where you have the Abbey and the Town Hall in close proximity is one of the most striking public/civic spaces in Scotland IMO, especially given the size and circumstances of the town. The centre of Paisley itself has an incredible amount of listed architecture and I think the town has made its fair share to the broad history of Scotland.

The flipside is the undoubted levels of deprivation and what appears to be decades of neglect at a planning level.

With its location so close to what Glasgow has to offer, I think it has great potential. I'd be delighted to see it succeed for the City of Culture status in 2021 as it would hopefully bring the investment and attention that could return it to the glories it experienced 100-150 years ago.
    Was there at the weekend. Was actually not to bad, loads and loads of new buildings going up at the waterfront and very easy to drive on brand new well thought out roads.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Preston, absolute dive

Warrington, see above

Crewe, see above.

@hibs.net private member GlesgaeHibby's Avatar
    Rochdale and the entire surrounding area near Manchester (Blackburn, Burnley etc.) has got to be the most depressing places going. I had the misfortune of having to visit the area regularly last year with work and every time it was truly ghastly. Grey and miserable every time, couldn't wait to escape.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GlesgaeHibby View Post
    Rochdale and the entire surrounding area near Manchester (Blackburn, Burnley etc.) has got to be the most depressing places going. I had the misfortune of having to visit the area regularly last year with work and every time it was truly ghastly. Grey and miserable every time, couldn't wait to escape.

........ and it's also had to put up with two of the sleasiest British MPs in the past ten years.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Preston, absolute dive

Warrington, see above

Crewe, see above.
    I like Preston, not really sure why though!