hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK

Worst city/town in the UK?

Have been all over the UK and seen some right ****holes, but over the past few weeks I've been in Doncaster for work and this place is almost inexplicably bad. Never have I seen a place so empty and devoid of any semblance of culture. The place and its people feel hopeless. Not that there's anything wrong with having council estates in cities, but this entire town feels like one.

It's also full of absolute radges. I was in work this weekend, and someone ran in off the street and emptied my office whilst I was in another room. Only in Doncaster.

Apologies if anyone from here is from 'Donny', but it's an absolute dive. Maybe I'm just spoiled after growing up in Edinburgh though?

So, any contenders for this award? Heard Rotherham is equally bad.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Wigton near Carlisle is a desolate place.

Testimonial Due
    Hell... sorry, Hull

Stoke on Trent.

Just utterly terrible.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    Quote Originally Posted by #FromTheCapital View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hell... sorry, Hull
    Not the city of Culture??

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Stoke on Trent.

Just utterly terrible.
    Driving through Stoke on Trent was a bit like an encounter with the death eaters....the life was just draining out of me.

Burnley for me. Where I was it was a ****hole

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Certainly agree about Doncaster and Stoke-on-Trent. Had the misfortune of visiting/lodging these towns through work. The worst in my opinion would be Newport, South wales. I think the biggest problem there though was general deprivation through lack of employment in the area and there is one of the largest council estates in Europe there so it would be a bit harsh to give it a further kicking by awarding it the Worst City/Town accolade!

Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    Certainly agree about Doncaster and Stoke-on-Trent. Had the misfortune of visiting/lodging these towns through work. The worst in my opinion would be Newport, South wales. I think the biggest problem there though was general deprivation through lack of employment in the area and there is one of the largest council estates in Europe there so it would be a bit harsh to give it a further kicking by awarding it the Worst City/Town accolade!
    I think most of the places you could mention were once synonymous with a certain industry that maintained their community and gave people a sense of pride. Even the places that have been "regenerated" haven't replaced these skilled, secure jobs adequately. How many of these jobs that are included in the figures that politicians trott out are part of this dreadful gig economy, where low pay, depressing work and zero job security and rights are the order of the day?

I was going to give Middlesbrough a kicking but I won't bother now.

My Dad had to work for a short spell down in Yorkshire in the 80s and he assures me that at that time Rotherham was hell on Earth. He's also got a few funny stories about working in some of the less well-populated Orkney islands (although I suppose this is a different sort of grim).

The worst parts of Glasgow take a bit of beating.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    I found Middlesbrough to be a depressing souless place,never seen a centre like it on a Saturday too.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Cowdenbeath.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Also a mention for Cardiff. There will definitely be worse but for being one of the UKs biggest cities it's an absolute hellhole.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Edinburgh - full of pretentious knobs
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Left by mutual consent!
    I see both Hull and Stoke-on-Trent get worthy mentions. Both are pretty grim, however any town on the Northern part of the Thames Estuary will take some beating. Thurrock, Canvey Island, Tilbury, Grays - Think pikey and that's what those places are. The outskirts are full of fields of caravans with horses/ponies tethered to road-signs. The 'proper' folk left a generation ago.

Not the sort of places you would want to take a self-catering break.

I stayed in Reading for a few days when Hibs played Millwall on that "infamous" night and thought it was a proper dump, don't know what its like now though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergey View Post
    I see both Hull and Stoke-on-Trent get worthy mentions. Both are pretty grim, however any town on the Northern part of the Thames Estuary will take some beating. Thurrock, Canvey Island, Tilbury, Grays - Think pikey and that's what those places are. The outskirts are full of fields of caravans with horses/ponies tethered to road-signs. The 'proper' folk left a generation ago.

Dunno what Grays is like now but I knew a lassie who lived there back in 1980 and it was full of "oi what are you lookin at?" tw@ts driving Ford Capris with fluffy dice and go faster stripes. Pikeys alright.

First Team Breakthrough Dav1986's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: davidmcandrew86
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Wigton near Carlisle is a desolate place.
    Drive past there quite often on the way to the inlaws in Maryport but never stopped there. Don't think I'll bother now.

My experience, Hull, Stoke and Luton are awful awful places.

At least Canvey Island produced Dr Feelgood. The view from Southend is a bit grim. It's not a great place either

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    Dunno what Grays is like now but I knew a lassie who lived there back in 1980 and it was full of "oi what are you lookin at?" tw@ts driving Ford Capris with fluffy dice and go faster stripes. Pikeys alright.
    I have the misfortune to have to visit these middens watching non-league football and I'm glad to leave with the car still in one piece. I recently visited Mill Field, home of Aveley FC and I kid you not, even the charity shop in the centre of town had been boarded up.

I had a pint in a local boozer and had to wipe my feet on the way out. Everything was bolted to the floor (although it wasn't worth choring).

I have the misfortune to have to visit these middens watching non-league football and I'm glad to leave with the car still in one piece. I recently visited Mill Field, home of Aveley FC and I kid you not, even the charity shop in the centre of town had been boarded up.

I had a pint in a local boozer and had to wipe my feet on the way out. Everything was bolted to the floor (although it wasn't worth choring).
    I actually remember my mate driving us through Aveley from these days, nasty little place from what I recall. Barking was the worst though, chased out the pub for being "f***** jocks". I assume it's still as bad?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    I actually remember my mate driving us through Aveley from these days, nasty little place from what I recall. Barking was the worst though, chased out the pub for being "f***** jocks". I assume it's still as bad?!?
    In my previous job I worked around Barking, Romford Ilford etc all pretty desperate but apparantly on the up due to their rail links to London. Not sure where the current locals will be moving on to

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by wpj View Post
    In my previous job I worked around Barking, Romford Ilford etc all pretty desperate but apparantly on the up due to their rail links to London. Not sure where the current locals will be moving on to
    Romford isn't too bad as it has the 'barrow-boy' mentality due to it's thriving market (Bruce my neighbour came from there if you recall). There is legit money there. I don't recall ever visiting Barking or Ilford and I have little reason to ever have to.

I kind of laugh at Boris' idea of building a new airport in the Thames Estuary. A tourists first impression of the UK after leaving Heathrow must be pretty grim, but it'll look like the Caribbean compared to what the journey into London from there has to offer on the eye.

Romford isn't too bad as it has the 'barrow-boy' mentality due to it's thriving market (Bruce my neighbour came from there if you recall). There is legit money there. I don't recall ever visiting Barking or Ilford and I have little reason to ever have to.

I kind of laugh at Boris' idea of building a new airport in the Thames Estuary. A tourists first impression of the UK after leaving Heathrow must be pretty grim, but it'll look like the Caribbean compared to what the journey into London from there has to offer on the eye.
    The market now is pretty much the same as the others in the area, cheap clothes etc. All the fish, butchers and produce gone now. The high St is all charity shops, money lenders and witherspoon pubs. As you say no reason to visit now. Bruce! That's a flashback......

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar
    Grimsby. Such an apt name.

Remember a story about which building you would take away from your city so for example the St James in Edinburgh was the top for Edinburgh. Cumbernauld was eh Cumbernauld in its entirety which I can agree with 100%!

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Hemel Hempstead isn't up to much. Stranraer takes the crown for me though, ****ing hate the place.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Milton Keynes must be up there, just for soulless greyness. One roundabout after a -****ing-nother.

Stoke is a good shout. Wolverhampton town centre was a depressing midden full of empty plots and bookies a few years ago, hopefully it's improved as the locals are, once you've worked out what the devil they're saying, amongst the nicest folk I've ever met.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Luton is by a long way the biggest dump I've ever spent time in. The shopping centre there is like the scene out of "Dawn of the Dead". The percentage of people living there must have the highest rate of social neglect induced mental health issues in the UK. Absolutely depressing.

@hibs.net private member Galahibby's Avatar
    Selkirk. Poisonous little ****hole, and still stuck in the 19th century!