hibs.net Messageboard

Need a new car. Best dealership recommendations?

As it says on the tin!

Looking for a new car, best places to go?

Ideally less than 10,000 miles on the clock and just a few years old.

Heard bad things about nearly all dealers in edinburgh?!

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JennaFletcher View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As it says on the tin!

I always buy privately, I have a real hatred for car dealers. All they will do is try and sell you whatever car is not sfelling well that week. They will then offer you a warranty that isn't worth the paper it's written on. Loo, on gumtree and take a mechanic with you would be my advise..

United we stand here....

Find a car that you want, then see what dealers have one.

Not all dealerships are bad, far from it actually these days.

I'd always buy from a dealer as you're covered with warranties and they must adhere to sale of goods act, fir for purpose etc..

Try taking a private seller to smalls claims court for something like that!

Quote Originally Posted by JennaFletcher View Post
    As it says on the tin!

We were in the same position a few months ago and were looking for something similar. We were after a Hyndai i30 and decided to go to Macklin on Calder road as they had a car advertised online with about 7000 miles, 64 plate for £10k. On getting there we discovered that that specific car wouldn't be available until the "sale" was over in a months time but we could have a car with a higher mileage for £500 more right now. After a bit of toing and froing and amateur dramatics from them we decided to tell them to shove it and let them know that we didn't appreciate their tactics.

Arnlod Clark have their down sides but their size and way they operate can work to your advantage as they get ex rental and fleet cars to sell on on an industrial scale.
    We discovered that they had a lot of cars priced exactly the same but while they had the same spec, the mileage differed quite a bit, 7000 to over 20000 in some cases and if you see one at the right time you might get a good deal. There'll normally be lots of them with very similar plates, sometimes dotted around the country but that won't matter as they'll bring it to you.

We ended up getting a decent car from their Bankhead branch which was originally in Glasgow. I suppose it depends what you're after but there's no harm in looking at their website. Guarantees aren't really an issue either as Hyundais are boringly reliable. :-)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I always buy privately, I have a real hatred for car dealers. All they will do is try and sell you whatever car is not sfelling well that week. They will then offer you a warranty that isn't worth the paper it's written on. Loo, on gumtree and take a mechanic with you would be my advise..
    Will it be big enough to take two?

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I remember being at Arnold Clark and the guy says to me "so if I was to say to you that you can have the car, a full tank of petrol, and Arnold Clark cover how much do you think it would cost you a month" like he was giving me a great bargain

His patter was rank rotten so I just went in really low at £80 a month, his face was a picture when he had to tell me it was £150

I tried to PM you Jenna. Clear your inbox.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jimmy View Post

cleared!

thanks for all the info everyone

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jimmy View Post

Before buying any used car run the reg through a free app on your phone called Vehicle Smart. It gives the full service and mileage history along with the car make\model details...i can say it's possibly one of the best apps I've seen.
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

Quote Originally Posted by Wembley67 View Post
    Before buying any used car run the reg through a free app on your phone called Vehicle Smart. It gives the full service and mileage history along with the car make\model details...i can say it's possibly one of the best apps I've seen.

Thanks, downloaded! I'll also be using AutoTrader value my car tool as that tends to show a fair price for the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    We were in the same position a few months ago and were looking for something similar. We were after a Hyndai i30 and decided to go to Macklin on Calder road as they had a car advertised online with about 7000 miles, 64 plate for £10k. On getting there we discovered that that specific car wouldn't be available until the "sale" was over in a months time but we could have a car with a higher mileage for £500 more right now. After a bit of toing and froing and amateur dramatics from them we decided to tell them to shove it and let them know that we didn't appreciate their tactics.

Arnlod Clark have their down sides but their size and way they operate can work to your advantage as they get ex rental and fleet cars to sell on on an industrial scale.
    We discovered that they had a lot of cars priced exactly the same but while they had the same spec, the mileage differed quite a bit, 7000 to over 20000 in some cases and if you see one at the right time you might get a good deal. There'll normally be lots of them with very similar plates, sometimes dotted around the country but that won't matter as they'll bring it to you.

We ended up getting a decent car from their Bankhead branch which was originally in Glasgow. I suppose it depends what you're after but there's no harm in looking at their website. Guarantees aren't really an issue either as Hyundais are boringly reliable. :-)

Wife and i were both looking for a new car. She saw the one she wanted in an Arnold Clark, we went to see it. I was a bit narked coz it was a cracking car, and figured we'd never find another one. 15 minutes after getting home, found the same model, same spec, same year with 8k less on the clock in a branch even closer. They are definitely worth hunting through if you have an idea of which car, mileage and price range in mind.

Most of the additional stuff is a waste of money though.

Does anyone lease a car on here? It's something I'm currently looking into doing rather than buying from a garage.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Got my latest car from Redpath and McLean in Salamander Street, they were excellent.
    http://www.redpathmclean.co.uk/used-cars

Quote Originally Posted by skyehibee View Post
    Does anyone lease a car on here? It's something I'm currently looking into doing rather than buying from a garage.
    I've got a 4 year lease on my car. It's working fine so far.

Basically we pay a monthly amount rather than a full amount up front.

Let me know if you have any specific queries and I'll try and answer.

Used Arnold Clark twice .. both cars are fine , just got to play them at there own game, check the car over fully and don't let them rush you into anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leasing is the way to go now car delivered straight to your door.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Try these sites. The discounts they get on most new cars are fantastic and they'll arrange PCP too.

There are others.

https://broadspeed.com

https://www.drivethedeal.com
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skyehibee View Post
    See my post above.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    We got one of our cars from arnold clark. Cant say we had any issies, the guy tried the usual selling extra things like MOT's and services etc which we said no to start with and he came back with another offer. Our other car is leased which is ok if you dont want to own the car, we done it through audi and have to say the service was excellent

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Pike & Bambridge great deals on leased cars.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    I've worked in the motor trade and I'd always say do your research into what deals you can get - be clear with what you want for how much and don't be too aloof. Be willing to compromise - you'll always get good deals on new cars in stock so if it's a different colour or is lacking a feature or has a couple of extras be willing to consider them.

Car salespeople may have an awful reputation thanks to those those who preceded them 20 years ago but the experience I have of them is they're outstandingly hard working people. There are a few bad eggs in amongst them but it's the same with any profession.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction