hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

HUNS :Not an offensive term.

It may not be an offensive term however it certainly is a term used by normal people to describe people whose behaviour is offensive.

"No one likes us

We don't care.

We hate the Celtc, the FBs,

We love to chase them everywhere"

Who but an offensive HUN would sing such stuff?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Kojock's Avatar
    If someone called me a Hun you can bet your bottom dollar I would be offended.

"The term can be classed as offensive when used in a sectarian context" ...... But that's the point, its not being used in a sectarian context and the fact that its used to insult folk many of whom are sectarian doesn't make it sectarian.

If it does and you apply that logic then that makes every insult you use against them sectarian, which is of course ridiculous ..... Hun has never been used as a sectarian insult either here or in Ireland the fact that the Huns want it to become one says more about their disgusting sectarian attitudes than the folk who use it.

So to all the Huns out there ...... I couldn't care less if you are a Protestant, Catholic, Muslim, Buddhist, Sikh, Hindu, Scientologist or an atheist .... you support Sevco and therefor you are a Hun, that's all you need to qualify ..... congratulations

It is definitely used by some members of the RC community in Ulster to describe protestants. Ive heard a catholic described as a 'hun lover' because she started going out with a protestant. So as much as we'd like to pretend otherwise, it does have a sectarian context.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It is definitely used by some members of the RC community in Ulster to describe protestants. Ive heard a catholic described as a 'hun lover' because she started going out with a protestant. So as much as we'd like to pretend otherwise, it does have a sectarian context.
    But does it ever in Scotland? One of my godsons is a former altar boy at Holy Cross and a Rangers fan. I'd quite happily wind him up about being a Hun. Rangers are desperately trying to make it sectarian. It isn't. I'd never call a Hearts supporting Orange Order member a Hun.

If it's no offensive to sevco I'll need to find something else that is

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hibee View Post
    But does it ever in Scotland? One of my godsons is a former altar boy at Holy Cross and a Rangers fan. I'd quite happily wind him up about being a Hun. Rangers are desperately trying to make it sectarian. It isn't. I'd never call a Hearts supporting Orange Order member a Hun.
    Correct. I think the appropriate term there may be diet hun!
    ​#PERSEVERED

@hibs.net private member oldbutdim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hughio View Post
    It may not be an offensive term however it certainly is a term used by normal people to describe people whose behaviour is offensive.

"No one likes us

We don't care.

I'm not keen on Celtc or Facebook either, but I'm no Hun.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I thought hun was a derogatory term for a Protestant? Or have people stopped pretending that's the case now?

well i'm a proddy and it doesn't hurt my feelings at all, being called a the rangers fan would be far worse, and hurtful

So these findings are based on a huge sample of 248 people from all around the Uk. Some who don't even know what some words mean or will never understand certain contexts.

I think the rubber stamp is still firmly in the drawer as far as I'm concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by 21.05.2016 View Post
    Pretty much confirms what everyone already knew. The huns trying to claim it as bigotry is simply a pathetic attempt to tar everyone else with the same brush as them.
    Does that make them tarriers? ;-)

@hibs.net private member Jack Hackett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    So these findings are based on a huge sample of 248 people from all around the Uk. Some who don't even know what some words mean or will never understand certain contexts.

I think the rubber stamp is still firmly in the drawer as far as I'm concerned.

Meaningless survey. The majority of participants likely to live in England, call Scots Jock because, well...you are, aren't you?

Same goes for 'Hun'. When I went to school, the definition was...and still is

Noun.
    1. a member of a nomadic and warlike Asian people who devastated or controlled large parts of eastern and central Europe and who exercised their greatest power under Attila in the 5th century a.d.

2.(often lowercase) a barbarous, destructive person; vandal.

3.Older Slang: Disparaging and Offensive. a contemptuous term used to refer to a German, especially a German soldier in World War I or II.

It was never applied to them as protestants, but because they displayed all the attributes of the definitions for 1 and 2 above.

Just another hand in their game of 'Victims'

But surely only in the context of describing said protestant as a supporter of the The Rangers Fc?

I have to say that I feel incredibly sorry for Rangers and their fans on this one, who campaigned tirelessly in order to have the term designated offensive.

I feel that we must take our share of the blame for this shabby state of affairs.

Therefore I propose, that to further their cause, we all sing GO HOME YA HUNS with increasing venom and prefix or suffix 'Hun' references with a derogatory term.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    So the Huns are still Huns, I'm waiting for the "We demand to know who this Ofgen people are! We also demand to know why this unelected bunch of Catholics at Ofwat are able to influence this type of research. We also need to know why the SFA are doing nothing while one of their founder members are being treated in an ofhand way"

Quote Originally Posted by Kavinho View Post
    But surely only in the context of describing said protestant as a supporter of the The Rangers Fc?
    I think that's unlikely given the actual context, which was abusing someone for going out with the 'wrong sort' in a community like Derry.

I don't really have a drum to beat on the subject as it were. In fact, I use the word myself, often with massive amounts of offense intended. Which probably makes me worse.

It is definitely used in NI to describe Protestants.

We all know that the term "hun" is not offensive.

It is the behaviour of the huns which is offensive.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

I think that's unlikely given the actual context, which was abusing someone for going out with the 'wrong sort' in a community like Derry.

I don't really have a drum to beat on the subject as it were. In fact, I use the word myself, often with massive amounts of offense intended. Which probably makes me worse.

Accepted.
    Slight mis-read from me over who exactly was the Hunlover..
    Not the Hunlover but the Hunlovers lover

I doubt that. they're animals. sums them up better.

I popped over to the bears den to see how apoplectic they were.

Sadly not too fussed to be honest apart from one or two.

Indeed a good few tell of the old/new firm history behind the term.

It was rangers that first used the term to celtc during or just after WWII. It seems celtc park was closed at the time as a result of rampant Irish nationalism and and a fondness for helping the Germans!

Many can remember hun chants aimed at the celtc fans as late as the 1970s.

There's a few suggesting reclaiming the term and encouraging a couple of their groups, I didn't know what the initials meant, to make banners using the word for the semi final. That would confuse them they said.

I've just ordered more popcorn!
    Space to let

Quote Originally Posted by hughio View Post

"No one likes us

We don't care.

Maybe ra Sellik could turn their song on them

"No HUN likes us

We don't care.

We hate the The Rangers, the HBs,