hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Arnold Palmer

Blog Entries

Arnold Palmer

Just heard on the news that Arnold Palmer has passed away at age 87. RIP.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    After watching some of the most brilliant golf ever last night this was a sad thing to wake up to.

The professional game owes a lot to this man.

RIP Arnold.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Seen him play once, at my first ever Open at St Andrews in 1995. He failed to make the cut but it was superb to see him play his last time in the UK.

A genuine gentleman of the game and responsible for my favourite drink!

Rest in peace Mr Palmer.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    I remember well the Big 3 golf series featuring Arnie, big Jack and Gary Player. "Arnie's Army " used to love his flamboyant style and often unpredictable play. He was a great Champion on the course and a perfect gentleman off it. RIP Arnie, yet another of my boyhood heroes has sadly departed.

@hibs.net private member ACLeith's Avatar
    Very sad to hear the news, but simply the march of time, at least he wasn't taken as early as Seve.

Only time I saw him play was at my first Open, at Carnoustie in 1968. Followed him on the last day (Saturday back then), he was always a few shots off the leaders, but I remember him in particular playing the short 8th. A very poor tee shot left him short and right with a bunker to negotiate. We expected him to lay it stiff, even out of the rough, but he fluffed it right in and there was a stunned silence from the gallery. Then a very average recovery and 2 putts for a double-bogey.

He shot a 77, the worst of the top 12 and finished 8 shots behind. His prize money was £402!! And no, I don't have a photographic memory, Wiki is wonderful for stuff like this.

But in spite of seeing him play, shall we say, not at his best, there was an aura about him, exciting to watch and as a young lad I felt privileged to have seen such a man play, even poorly.