hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Lewis stevenson

Quote Originally Posted by Gail View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My apologies scoopyboy, been a long day. Over to you Mr Brooster.
    I stand by my statement. Stevenson is a liability and should be nowhere near the team on current form.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gail View Post
    My apologies scoopyboy, been a long day. Over to you Mr Brooster.
    apology accepted.

So, it looks like Hanlon will be slotting into the vacated left back slot for the visit of Dundee United, with Foster partnering McGregor.
    This is all very well, but it merely highlights the lack of competition to Lewis Stevenson for that left back slot. Eardley, at least, has been drafted in to cover for Gray, but we have no natural cover for Stevenson - or at least cover with good experience behind him.
    This for me is unacceptable, because, despite performing poorly to average this season to date, Stevenson will simply serve his suspension and then resume business as usual and continue to offer next to nothing as a wing back, although we can expect the usual graft and effort - the minimum every pro should give. Surely Lennon is looking to address this sooner rather than later.
    Are there any decent wing backs available who happen to be out of contract, anybody?
    Last edited by Hi Heid Yin; 29-09-2016 at 10:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lennon's Lip View Post
    So, it looks like Hanlon will be slotting into the vacated left back slot for the visit of Dundee United, with Foster partnering McGregor.
    This is all very well, but it merely highlights the lack of competition to Lewis Stevenson for that left back slot. Eardley, at least, has been drafted in to cover for Gray, but we have no natural cover for Stevenson - or at least cover with good experience behind him.
    This for me is unacceptable, because, despite performing poorly to average this season to date, Stevenson will simply serve his suspension and then resume business as usual and continue to offer next to nothing as a wing back, although we can expect the usual graft and effort - the minimum every pro should give. Surely Lennon is looking to address this sooner rather than later.
    Are there any decent wing backs available who happen to be out of contract, anybody?

Paul has a lot of experience playing at LB, there's been no panic to get cover because young Crane can play in the diddy cup and league cup while Hanlon can cover in case of injury or suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Paul has a lot of experience playing at LB, there's been no panic to get cover because young Crane can play in the diddy cup and league cup while Hanlon can cover in case of injury or suspension.
    Maybe I'm asking too much, namely, 2 proper left backs, as opposed to shifting players around and disrupting the balance. Yes, I know that Hanlon has played left back, but I still feel that we need a natural and experienced left back and leave Hanlon in his best and favoured position.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Maybe I'm asking too much, namely, 2 proper left backs, as opposed to shifting players around and disrupting the balance. Yes, I know that Hanlon has played left back, but I still feel that we need a natural and experienced left back and leave Hanlon in his best and favoured position.
    There's cover there in Crane and Hanlon. we're not exactly rolling in dosh

I'd rather play Crane at LB than Hanlon. Would be foolish to move our best CB out of position when we have a decent LB ready to start.

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    I'd rather play Crane at LB than Hanlon. Would be foolish to move our best CB out of position when we have a decent LB ready to start.
    This makes more sense to me.

Playing Crane: at worst we get a roasting on their right flank; at best we get someone to challenge Lewis Stevenson and possibly improve what's clearly a divisive position in the team among the support.

Playing Hanlonn: at worst we're weak in the centre and Crane wonders why he's at the club; At best we maybe have Forster pushing to start at Centre Back.

I'd rather have Paul playing on the left in a formation that doesn't have him, and therefore Gray, crossing the halfway line.

Their strength is up front and they will roast us if we simply swap Lewis for Hanlon.

Playing Crane as a direct swap is something I wouldn't do but I wouldn't rule out Lennon throwing youngsters into the team in times of need.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    I agree and I reckon if it had been anyone other than D Utd he would probably get the nod.

Testimonial Due
    We have a first team left back (Stevenson), a young left back (Crane), and a centre half who can cover left back if needed (Hanlon).

That's a much better use of the wage budget than using two 'first team' salaries for one position where, barring injuries and suspension, managers don't tend to rotate selection.

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    I'd rather we play three at the back with Gray and Boyle as the wingbacks .
    Moving our best centre half to play leftback is crazy .
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    If Crane is ever going to be good enough, then he should be playing on Sunday. He's 20 year old already. I'm not saying it's going to be an easy game, but we're playing the weakest Dundee Utd team for a long time. If your back up left back, isn't thought of as good enough to deal with the threat of this Dundee Utd team, then that's not very promising.

I'd have Hanlon at centre half every week, he's the best one we have, doesn't make sense to move him in my opinion.

@hibs.net private member thebakerboy's Avatar
    Can Eardley not play left back as well as right back.

@hibs.net private member barcahibs's Avatar
    If Crane isn't good enough to step up as cover for a game in the first division why is he at the club?

No need to be looking to buy players imo unless what we have isn't good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by thebakerboy View Post
    Can Eardley not play left back as well as right back.
    The same thought went through my mind, but I assumed that Lennon doesn't fancy him there.

Quote Originally Posted by barcahibs View Post
    If Crane isn't good enough to step up as cover for a game in the first division why is he at the club?

No need to be looking to buy players imo unless what we have isn't good enough.
    Agree with this actually. At an age where he needs to start playing.

The same thought went through my mind, but I assumed that Lennon doesn't fancy him there.
    Lennon has said that'd he'll be in the squad but I'd imagine as a right back.

@hibs.net private member

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Enough said View Post
    Not knocking him before anyone jumps down my throat. Now maybe the chance young crane needs as Lewis will be suspended at some point!!

For goodness sake! Why on earth are you posting this rubbish now, when we have such a big game tomorrow?

Why on earth pick him out yet again when there will probably be others due suspension before him and they too will have other players waiting in the wings to take their places ..............

lay off the laddie and let him concentrate on his game.

All our squad have their own limitations isnt that why our top goal scorer is still sitting on the bench every week or cant you see that?

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stantons Angel View Post
    For goodness sake! Why on earth are you posting this rubbish now, when we have such a big game tomorrow?

Why on earth pick him out yet again when there will probably be others due suspension before him and they too will have other players waiting in the wings to take their places ..............

lay off the laddie and let him concentrate on his game.

All our squad have their own limitations isnt that why our top goal scorer is still sitting on the bench every week or cant you see that?
    It's an old post...

Quote Originally Posted by hibee_girl View Post
    It's an old post...

never noticed that when i read it!!! Too angry at the title and thought that he had been singled out yet again!

Thanks for pointing that out...... Silly me again1!

Quote Originally Posted by EdinCapitals View Post
    And you can add extra votes if yo use different browsers, eg vote on Internet Explorer, then on Chrome, etc

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Those stats also tell you that we as a team played with a diamond and we also played at such a snails pace at times that the opposition were never tested enough because we gave them the opportunity to always get themselves into a defensive shape due to our slow build up play.

Stats are all well and good but Hearts and Rangers also played with wingers, they also played with a high tempo putting the other teams on the back foot, we don't have wingers and we play a slow build up possession game, the quicker we get proper width and tempo into this team the better.
    It's all about context.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.