hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've criticised every single one of those listed across the forum. This thread is specifically about Labour hence my target within it.

I'd happily tear apart almost everyone at the forefront of all the major parties currently. There is a complete talent vacuum at Westminster.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Could not agree more - and it applies to Holyrood too. And to the US. The leaders are without exception devoid of both personality or any genuinely radical ideas that actually address contemporary problems.

They are uninspiring but I think that is mainly because they don't have much to say. It has been apparent since 2008 that politics needed to change to meet global and domestic challenges but the parties and people within them have just remained fossilised in their old certainties which surprise, surprise, aren't certainties and don't work anymore.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Labour now only trailing 5% behind the Conservatives in latest polls. The blairites who actively campaigned against Corbyn may be left with egg on their face.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/t...-may-rgmckfnpp

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by High-On-Hibs View Post
    Labour now only trailing 5% behind the Conservatives in latest polls. The blairites who actively campaigned against Corbyn may be left with egg on their face.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/t...-may-rgmckfnpp
    It would go down as one of the greatest political mis-steps in modern history if she ended up with a majority of 2!

@hibs.net private member
    The Tories majority would increase with the support of the Ulster Unionists

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    That certainly wouldnt help to free her from the shackles of her own right wing!!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    That certainly wouldnt help to free her from the shackles of her own right wing!!
    Very true but as the polls close the dirt will start to fly. Guaranteed if it's looking close the Tories will use 2015 tactics of Corbyn being under the control of the SNP. From my perspective I hope the Nats don't state publicly about a progressive coalition as it will damage any chance of it happening. They should be saying privately that they'll support Corbyn for PM with guaranteed second referendum

Corbyn's decision to try and make political capital out of the Manchester bombing so soon after the event will be seen as crass by many, but compared to this kind of talk from a so-called representative of Labour Corbyn's comments are moderate. This is beyond the pale:

BREAKING Labour suspends local vice-chairman over Manchester comments

BBC Surrey

Labour has suspended one of its vice-chairmen in Surrey after he suggested the government could have been behind the Manchester bombing.
    Daniel Ewen - vice-chair in Esher and Walton - wrote on Facebook: "I would not put it past our establishment, our rightwing government or Theresa May to blow up their own people in order to continue to secure power for themselves".
    The Labour party has confirmed to BBC Surrey that Mr Ewen has since been suspended.
    Last edited by G B Young; 26-05-2017 at 10:50 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    Corbyn's decision to try and make political capital out of the Manchester bombing so soon after the event will be seen as crass by many, but compared to this kind of talk from a so-called representative of Labour Corbyn's comments are moderate. This is beyond the pale:

BREAKING Labour suspends local vice-chairman over Manchester comments

BBC Surrey

Labour has suspended one of its vice-chairmen in Surrey after he suggested the government could have been behind the Manchester bombing.
    Daniel Ewen - vice-chair in Esher and Walton - wrote on Facebook: "I would not put it past our establishment, our rightwing government or Theresa May to blow up their own people in order to continue to secure power for themselves".
    The Labour party has confirmed to BBC Surrey that Mr Ewen has since been suspended.
    Really? What goes on in people's heads? Not only to think such things but for someone serving in public office to then post it on social media! What a disgusting troll.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    As could both Labour and the Tories increase their vote from Scottish Unionists if they play the independence card. They did it during the council elections and are doing now in the General Election campaign.

Great speech from Jezza.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    Could not agree more - and it applies to Holyrood too. And to the US. The leaders are without exception devoid of both personality or any genuinely radical ideas that actually address contemporary problems.

They are uninspiring but I think that is mainly because they don't have much to say. It has been apparent since 2008 that politics needed to change to meet global and domestic challenges but the parties and people within them have just remained fossilised in their old certainties which surprise, surprise, aren't certainties and don't work anymore.
    Amazing that all sides of the political spectrum on Hibsnet will probably totally agree with this post and PB's post. Well I do, for one

Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    Really? What goes on in people's heads? Not only to think such things but for someone serving in public office to then post it on social media! What a disgusting troll.
    Don't know what the dismissal process is, but an instant sacking rather than suspension would seem appropriate.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    The future of the Scottish Labour Party?

Well, when you put out banners like this, you have to wonder!

A HUGE banner saying Vote Conservative. Only when you read the small print...
    That is the saddest campaign poster I have ever seen in my life. What it conveys to me is the total submission of a party on is knees.
    Last edited by snooky; 26-05-2017 at 12:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    He's not serving in public office, just an internal Lab role. They are probably 3 men and a dog in leafy Home Counties South. What a walloper.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    That is the saddest campaign poster I have never seen in my life. What it conveys to me is the total submission of a party on is knees.
    For me, it's a reflection of the campaign thus far, at least up here.

SNP "stop the Tories"

Tories "stop the referendum"

Lib Dems "stop the Tories, and stop the referendum"

Labour "um...."

Nothing positive at all yet, sadly.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    He's not serving in public office, just an internal Lab role. They are probably 3 men and a dog in leafy Home Counties South. What a walloper.
    Ahh fair enough...but still a walloper as you say!

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Boop View Post
    Great speech from Jezza.
    Ducks out of media questioning afterwards:

Kevin Schofield
    @PolhomeEditor

Corbyn not taking questions from media after his speech because they're "phasing in" the national campaign. Worth remembering the next time Labour accuse Theresa May of running scared of questions.

[QUOTE=G B Young;5052789]Ducks out of media questioning afterwards:

Kevin Schofield
    @PolhomeEditor

Corbyn not taking questions from media after his speech because they're "phasing in" the national campaign. Worth remembering the next time Labour accuse Theresa May of running scared of questions.[/QUOTE

I wouldn't take questions from the Rat pack either. More interested in what he had to say about our ridiculous foreign policy, and cuts to vital public services.

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Boop View Post
    I wouldn't take questions from the Rat pack either. More interested in what he had to say about our ridiculous foreign policy, and cuts to vital public services.
    The point is a fair one though. He can't accuse the PM of not being prepared to face questions when he won't do so himself. The reason he won't do so is because he knows he'll be accused of hypocrisy in calling for unity over Manchester while at the same time stoking up political division. I don't have much time for Tim Farron, but his point is one many will share at the end of a highly emotive week:

Tim Farron accuses Labour of putting 'politics before people'

Commenting on Jeremy Corbyn's forthcoming speech on British foreign policy, Liberal Democrat leader Tim Farron said: "A few days ago, a young man built a bomb, walked into a pop concert and deliberately slaughtered children. Our children. Families are grieving. A community is in shock. Jeremy Corbyn has chosen to use that grotesque act to make a political point. I don't agree with what he says, but I disagree even more that now is the time to say it. That's not leadership, it's putting politics before people at a time of tragedy."

Blog Entries
    The point is a fair one though. He can't accuse the PM of not being prepared to face questions when he won't do so himself. The reason he won't do so is because he knows he'll be accused of hypocrisy in calling for unity over Manchester while at the same time stoking up political division. I don't have much time for Tim Farron, but his point is one many will share at the end of a highly emotive week:

Commenting on Jeremy Corbyn's forthcoming speech on British foreign policy, Liberal Democrat leader Tim Farron said: "A few days ago, a young man built a bomb, walked into a pop concert and deliberately slaughtered children. Our children. Families are grieving. A community is in shock. Jeremy Corbyn has chosen to use that grotesque act to make a political point. I don't agree with what he says, but I disagree even more that now is the time to say it. That's not leadership, it's putting politics before people at a time of tragedy."

Cynically speaking, one could argue that TF is doing exactly the same thing here.

(FWIW, I don't think he is. I'm just making a point).

Testimonial Due

Ouch. He didn't miss eh...

Drivel from Farron. Corbyn (and millions of others) believe that British foreign policy has contributed to a climate in which despicable attacks like this one become more likely. He has a duty to present his alternative before this election.

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Drivel from Farron. Corbyn (and millions of others) believe that British foreign policy has contributed to a climate in which despicable attacks like this one become more likely. He has a duty to present his alternative before this election.
    I accept that, but for me it's the timing that jars. I imagine that in the wake of Manchester, many won't give a s**t about the election campaigns. I certainly don't much care and I'm not surprised Corbyn is being portrayed as disrespectful in what looks like an unseemly haste to get back to government bashing. Just my view, but next week would have been a more appropriate time to pick up again on the campaigning.

I accept that, but for me it's the timing that jars. I imagine that in the wake of Manchester, many won't give a s**t about the election campaigns. I certainly don't much care and I'm not surprised Corbyn is being portrayed as disrespectful in what looks like an unseemly haste to get back to government bashing. Just my view, but next week would have been a more appropriate time to pick up again on the campaigning.
    Fair enough ... but folk can take their own view on the timing without having Tim Farron telling them how disgraceful it is. I've been extremely disappointed in Farron. The Libs had a real chance to go for the Remoaner vote with Labour all over the place.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    "remoaner vote" - if intentional, is pretty funny

As for Corbyn, I disagree with political point scoring over such tragic events but I'd question how much of it actually was that. As said above, he's presenting his alternative ahead of the vote. If he had waited for next week i doubt the backlash would have been any different.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    UK foreign policy was every bid as bad under his own party so it can be seen as a general criticism rather than one against any party. Liberal guy is at it IMO.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Was always going to happen,first to mention security was guaranteed to get a kicking. Which opens up the question if accusing him of playing politics with the tragedy isn't itself playing politics with the tragedy?

Testimonial Due
    I dont mind him saying it, i think our politics would be all the better for takiglng a more nuanced, less reactive approach to discourse.

I just dont know what the point is, the link between little girls being blown up at a pop concert in Manchester and wars fought years ago 1000 of miles away just doesnt seem strong enough to be worth the hassle to me. Im not sure i even buy the link.

Ramzi Yousef tried to blow up the WTC in the early 90s, long before iraq. Its an unstable place, at least in part due to its geograhic location at the centre of the world. And islam has historically been an aggressive religion spread via conquest and genocide through that part of the world.

Bit fair play to him for grasping this particular nettle. If he is to lose the election, i hope its not because of this.

Left by mutual consent!
    Very true but as the polls close the dirt will start to fly. Guaranteed if it's looking close the Tories will use 2015 tactics of Corbyn being under the control of the SNP. From my perspective I hope the Nats don't state publicly about a progressive coalition as it will damage any chance of it happening. They should be saying privately that they'll support Corbyn for PM with guaranteed second referendum
    Labour want the SNP to come out and say they won't prop up a Labour government, because they can scream foul and claim that the SNP want to keep the tories in government for their own political agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    I dont mind him saying it, i think our politics would be all the better for takiglng a more nuanced, less reactive approach to discourse.

I just dont know what the point is, the link between little girls being blown up at a pop concert in Manchester and wars fought years ago 1000 of miles away just doesnt seem strong enough to be worth the hassle to me. Im not sure i even buy the link.

Ramzi Yousef tried to blow up the WTC in the early 90s, long before iraq. Its an unstable place, at least in part due to its geograhic location at the centre of the world. And islam has historically been an aggressive religion spread via conquest and genocide through that part of the world.

Bit fair play to him for grasping this particular nettle. If he is to lose the election, i hope its not because of this.
    Is ISIS motivated by Western intervention? Not primarily.

Has the botched aftermath of Western intervention given ISIS the opportunity to grow? Yes

Has Western intervention been used as a propaganda tool to recruit/inspire the disaffected youth of Western Europe and the UK? Yes