hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 120 of 498
  1. #91
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    10,208
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Labour Party has always been an evolving entity. The party of Bevan was a very different one from that of Attlee which in turn differed from that of Benn and Foot and so on. New Labour was just another stage in that morphosis.

    The constant pining for 'core values' is tiresome. Labour, or any party, changes over time. The Conservative manifesto released this week had phrases in it that would have had Thatcher scratching her head for example. To be relevant a party has to adapt to the society it lives in, the SNP have done so with great success in recent years and a part of that has been shifting their social and economic stance dramatically.

    Corbyn, Abott, McDonnell et al are stuck in a time warp and their performance is reflective of that.
    You criticise the performance of Labour but what about May, Hammond and Fallon or Rudd? They refuse to meet people or even do interviews with Sky news. They've just produced an uncosted manifesto but the MSM have ignored that. Labours manifesto offers real change regardless of the personalities involved


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #92
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You criticise the performance of Labour but what about May, Hammond and Fallon or Rudd? They refuse to meet people or even do interviews with Sky news. They've just produced an uncosted manifesto but the MSM have ignored that. Labours manifesto offers real change regardless of the personalities involved
    I've criticised every single one of those listed across the forum. This thread is specifically about Labour hence my target within it.

    I'd happily tear apart almost everyone at the forefront of all the major parties currently. There is a complete talent vacuum at Westminster.

    Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

  4. #93
    @hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Corstorphine
    Age
    50
    Posts
    1,602
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You criticise the performance of Labour but what about May, Hammond and Fallon or Rudd? They refuse to meet people or even do interviews with Sky news. They've just produced an uncosted manifesto but the MSM have ignored that. Labours manifesto offers real change regardless of the personalities involved
    I think that makes​ it all the more galling that the Tories aren't up to much but Labour can barely lay a glove on them. Corbyn, McDonnell & Abbott together with the names you mention has to be the most uninspiring bunch of senior politicians ever.

  5. #94
    First Team Breakthrough
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    386
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You criticise the performance of Labour but what about May, Hammond and Fallon or Rudd? They refuse to meet people or even do interviews with Sky news. They've just produced an uncosted manifesto but the MSM have ignored that. Labours manifesto offers real change regardless of the personalities involved
    Unfortunately, it shows where we are just now. If Labour had a more personable leader, with that manifesto and campaign, they'd be destroying the Tories.

  6. #95
    @hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Amityville
    Posts
    22,823
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You criticise the performance of Labour but what about May, Hammond and Fallon or Rudd? They refuse to meet people or even do interviews with Sky news. They've just produced an uncosted manifesto but the MSM have ignored that. Labours manifesto offers real change regardless of the personalities involved
    Which makes even less sense for Corbin to pass up the leader debate. The media are horrifically right wing at present and he had watching millions as a platform yet choose not to go on. If he was serious he would have been on there highlighting May not being present. Incredible own goal IMO.

  7. #96
    Testimonial Due Colr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    London
    Age
    50
    Posts
    1,996
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Grieves View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Unfortunately, it shows where we are just now. If Labour had a more personable leader, with that manifesto and campaign, they'd be destroying the Tories.
    I'm not convinced by all of the manifesto but you're defininately right that this Tory party are there for the taking. As a well known Labour figure said recently, Labour can win if it wants to.

  8. #97
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    10,208
    Labour now up to 39% in England if Scotland comes onboard polls would level. Clearly the positive message is getting through. Corbyn could pull off yet another stunning victory

  9. #98
    Testimonial Due
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    36
    Posts
    2,868
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Labour now up to 39% in England if Scotland comes onboard polls would level. Clearly the positive message is getting through. Corbyn could pull off yet another stunning victory
    It would certainly be stunning!

    Still cant see it though, but then we all thought the same about trump!

  10. #99
    The last seats predictions based on polling that had Labour on 34% had them taking between 177 and 190 seats. Even allowing for a comeback to rival Lazarus in Scotland that would leave just a bit of a deficit.
    I fell in love with football as I was later to fall in love with women,. Suddenly, uncritically giving no thought to the pain it could bring. - Nick Hornby

  11. #100
    @hibs.net private member GlesgaeHibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,738
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Labour now up to 39% in England if Scotland comes onboard polls would level. Clearly the positive message is getting through. Corbyn could pull off yet another stunning victory
    Source?

    Not sure what relevance Scotland has. The way Scotland votes very rarely has an impact on who wins an election.

  12. #101
    Coaching Staff steakbake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Gate 38
    Posts
    7,600
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Labour now up to 39% in England if Scotland comes onboard polls would level. Clearly the positive message is getting through. Corbyn could pull off yet another stunning victory
    Saw that earlier. It has crossed my mind to go Labour this time out, only to be able to have voted for the most left manifesto and leader that we've seen for many years and are likely to see for many years.

    The idea though that Kezia will 'commandeer' my vote as one against an indyref puts me off. I think the party on Scotland has missed an opportunity by trying to out-union the Tories.

    I'll put my cards on the table to say that if Corbyn won and if I saw the UK moving in a direction to a better, more social democratic and more progressive country, I wouldn't necessarily be too concerned by indyref.

    If the opposite happens, it'll be business as usual for me.

  13. #102
    @hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The 'Mains
    Posts
    2,712
    Quote Originally Posted by steakbake View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Saw that earlier. It has crossed my mind to go Labour this time out, only to be able to have voted for the most left manifesto and leader that we've seen for many years and are likely to see for many years.

    The idea though that Kezia will 'commandeer' my vote as one against an indyref puts me off. I think the party on Scotland has missed an opportunity by trying to out-union the Tories.

    I'll put my cards on the table to say that if Corbyn won and if I saw the UK moving in a direction to a better, more social democratic and more progressive country, I wouldn't necessarily be too concerned by indyref.

    If the opposite happens, it'll be business as usual for me.
    This is fairly close to my own thoughts. I am a bit keener on the indepence side of things tho!

    Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    "The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
    --Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback & sports analyst.

  14. #103
    Coaching Staff steakbake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Gate 38
    Posts
    7,600
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Alf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is fairly close to my own thoughts. I am a bit keener on the indepence side of things tho!

    Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    I'm still a stick on yes, but I'm more happy to see how Corbyn goes than to feel the cold hard effects of the double-whammy of Brexit and the Tories.

    So there we go, Lucky - two people in a short space of time who'd be willing to give Labour a go. Can you ask them to tone down the Alan Roden influence?
    Last edited by steakbake; 20-05-2017 at 09:32 PM.

  15. #104
    @hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    25
    Posts
    6,745
    Quote Originally Posted by steakbake View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Saw that earlier. It has crossed my mind to go Labour this time out, only to be able to have voted for the most left manifesto and leader that we've seen for many years and are likely to see for many years.

    The idea though that Kezia will 'commandeer' my vote as one against an indyref puts me off. I think the party on Scotland has missed an opportunity by trying to out-union the Tories.

    I'll put my cards on the table to say that if Corbyn won and if I saw the UK moving in a direction to a better, more social democratic and more progressive country, I wouldn't necessarily be too concerned by indyref.

    If the opposite happens, it'll be business as usual for me.
    That's pretty much bang on where I am.

    I'm also curious as to what the Scottish labour manifesto will hold. Is there a chance that many policies will be omitted or altered from the labour manifesto of last week?

    I also find myself agreeing with you that a progressive UK government making decisions I agree with, or at least couldn't feasibly see a different outcome at hollyrood, would dampen my appetite for independence. Conversely, if this is the most progressive manifesto a major party can put forward and it's overwhelmingly rejected in favour of a poorly constructed conservative manifesto focused on tax breaks for the wealthy and cutting support to kids and the elderly then I'm not sure where that leaves us...
    Mon the Hibs.

  16. #105
    Testimonial Due
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    36
    Posts
    2,868
    These last few posts are interesting, and would suggest that the SNP's biggest threat (at least to some of its supppeters on here) would be a labour revival.

    Ironic how symbiotic the SNP amd Tory relationship is becoming.

  17. #106
    Testimonial Due Colr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    London
    Age
    50
    Posts
    1,996
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    These last few posts are interesting, and would suggest that the SNP's biggest threat (at least to some of its supppeters on here) would be a labour revival.

    Ironic how symbiotic the SNP amd Tory relationship is becoming.
    MsDonnell and Gardiner did quite well on TV this morning.

  18. #107
    @hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The 'Mains
    Posts
    2,712
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    These last few posts are interesting, and would suggest that the SNP's biggest threat (at least to some of its supppeters on here) would be a labour revival.

    Ironic how symbiotic the SNP amd Tory relationship is becoming.
    I've said it before.... There's many SNP voters that would see SNP well behind Labour, Tory or Green as their 1st choice when voting in an iScotland Holyrood election.

    After a probably honeymoon victory in the 1st election for SNP I could easily see Labour in power, I also think a Scottish flavour of Tories will have a proper revival and could form a government at some time as well (they'd have finally broken the link with Thatcher). It's one of the reasons I get a wee bit () fed up when folks go on about SNP performance as a reason to vote against independence, it's not really related.
    "The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
    --Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback & sports analyst.

  19. #108
    Testimonial Due
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    36
    Posts
    2,868
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Alf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've said it before.... There's many SNP voters that would see SNP well behind Labour, Tory or Green as their 1st choice when voting in an iScotland Holyrood election.

    After a probably honeymoon victory in the 1st election for SNP I could easily see Labour in power, I also think a Scottish flavour of Tories will have a proper revival and could form a government at some time as well (they'd have finally broken the link with Thatcher). It's one of the reasons I get a wee bit () fed up when folks go on about SNP performance as a reason to vote against independence, it's not really related.
    I agree, and your point about snp performance is correct imo. But when one party becomes so closely identified with it, its hard to separate the two.

    To keep this thread on topic though, i find the lab situation interesting, as it could be that if corbyn does well enough, he can firm up his grip, without winning, which would be the worst outcome for the centreist wing of the lab party.

  20. #109
    @hibs.net private member Golden Fleece's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    between a brewery & distillery
    Posts
    11,142
    The future of the Scottish Labour Party?

    Well, when you put out banners like this, you have to wonder!




    A HUGE banner saying Vote Conservative. Only when you read the small print...
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

  21. #110
    @hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The 'Mains
    Posts
    2,712
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree, and your point about snp performance is correct imo. But when one party becomes so closely identified with it, its hard to separate the two.

    To keep this thread on topic though, i find the lab situation interesting, as it could be that if corbyn does well enough, he can firm up his grip, without winning, which would be the worst outcome for the centreist wing of the lab party.
    I WAS trying to keep it on topic... Honest!

    In a long winded way I was trying to say that if Scottish Labour was running on an independence ticket they'd grab a good many seats off the SNP
    "The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
    --Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback & sports analyst.

  22. #111
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    7,774
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The future of the Scottish Labour Party?

    Well, when you put out banners like this, you have to wonder!




    A HUGE banner saying Vote Conservative. Only when you read the small print...
    That's a genius poster...both NS and the Conservatives given more prominence than the message being conveyed (or not as the case maybe!) dear oh dear.

  23. #112
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    10,208
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's pretty much bang on where I am.

    I'm also curious as to what the Scottish labour manifesto will hold. Is there a chance that many policies will be omitted or altered from the labour manifesto of last week?

    I also find myself agreeing with you that a progressive UK government making decisions I agree with, or at least couldn't feasibly see a different outcome at hollyrood, would dampen my appetite for independence. Conversely, if this is the most progressive manifesto a major party can put forward and it's overwhelmingly rejected in favour of a poorly constructed conservative manifesto focused on tax breaks for the wealthy and cutting support to kids and the elderly then I'm not sure where that leaves us...
    It's very similar but with a Scottish theme. It will contain renewal of Trident but does not say when.

  24. #113
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    10,208
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Alf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I WAS trying to keep it on topic... Honest!

    In a long winded way I was trying to say that if Scottish Labour was running on an independence ticket they'd grab a good many seats off the SNP
    Is there any real evidence off this? Also it would costs votes as well. I'm not sure a Labour uturn on independence is a vote winner for Labour

  25. #114
    @hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Amityville
    Posts
    22,823
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The future of the Scottish Labour Party?

    Well, when you put out banners like this, you have to wonder!




    A HUGE banner saying Vote Conservative. Only when you read the small print...
    Pretty laughable given the Aberdeen council.

  26. #115
    @hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The 'Mains
    Posts
    2,712
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is there any real evidence off this? Also it would costs votes as well. I'm not sure a Labour uturn on independence is a vote winner for Labour
    Evidence? not really to be honest.

    Its based on my own position and many that I've spoken too, its a mixture of mates in pubs after games, at work etc... SNP still seem to be ahead but easily 50% maybe a bit more would lean towards Labour, Tories & Green (in that order with Labour being the most significant). Just my opinion mind! but I do think there's something in it.. is it enough though??
    "The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
    --Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback & sports analyst.

  27. #116
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    10,208
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Alf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Evidence? not really to be honest.

    Its based on my own position and many that I've spoken too, its a mixture of mates in pubs after games, at work etc... SNP still seem to be ahead but easily 50% maybe a bit more would lean towards Labour, Tories & Green (in that order with Labour being the most significant). Just my opinion mind! but I do think there's something in it.. is it enough though??
    Fair enough. I'm just not convinced that a change of policy would be a vote winner across the U.K. If independence ever happens then we could see a complete change in politics in Scotland but probably not for at least one term after the start.

  28. #117
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Brandenburg
    Age
    51
    Posts
    8,779
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Alf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I WAS trying to keep it on topic... Honest!

    In a long winded way I was trying to say that if Scottish Labour was running on an independence ticket they'd grab a good many seats off the SNP
    I couldn't trust them not to go back on that, especially if the votes won in Scotland were essential to them holding power in Westminster.

  29. #118
    @hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The 'Mains
    Posts
    2,712
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fair enough. I'm just not convinced that a change of policy would be a vote winner across the U.K. If independence ever happens then we could see a complete change in politics in Scotland but probably not for at least one term after the start.
    Yup. 100% agree with that.

    Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    "The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
    --Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback & sports analyst.

  30. #119
    @hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The 'Mains
    Posts
    2,712
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I couldn't trust them not to go back on that, especially if the votes won in Scotland were essential to them holding power in Westminster.
    Indeed... Who trusts politicians, of whatever flavour, these days!

    Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    "The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
    --Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback & sports analyst.

  31. #120
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I couldn't trust them not to go back on that, especially if the votes won in Scotland were essential to them holding power in Westminster.
    They'd have to formally separate from UK lab.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved