hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 506
  1. #31
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,193
    [QUOTE=One Day Soon;4954611]If that's true you will be delighted. Labour knackered out of the way so that you can see off the Tories. All those Labour voters will surely vote SNP won't they?[/QUOTE]

    It seems Sadiq Khan is doing a grand job pushing them our way.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #32
    Testimonial Due Colr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    London
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,128
    [QUOTE=ronaldo7;4957441]
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If that's true you will be delighted. Labour knackered out of the way so that you can see off the Tories. All those Labour voters will surely vote SNP won't they?[/QUOTE]

    It seems Sadiq Khan is doing a grand job pushing them our way.
    Would be interesting if the SNP stood down here - pro brexit, maybe abolishing the House of Lords and replacing it with a UK federal govenment with the Hof C being the English Assembly. Wouldn't win but it would shift the agenda.

  4. #33
    Coaching Staff steakbake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Gate 38
    Posts
    7,614
    [QUOTE=ronaldo7;4957441]
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If that's true you will be delighted. Labour knackered out of the way so that you can see off the Tories. All those Labour voters will surely vote SNP won't they?[/QUOTE]

    It seems Sadiq Khan is doing a grand job pushing them our way.
    Calamitously ill-informed intervention by him today. If he's pitching to be a future Labour leader and claw back some voters from the SNP, then today he has gone the wrong way about it. Die hard unionists and lifelong Labourites might like to pretend Scottish independence is about nativism, but middle of the road no voters and the vast majority of Yes voters know it's complete nonsense.

  5. #34
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,193
    [QUOTE=steakbake;4958425]
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    Calamitously ill-informed intervention by him today. If he's pitching to be a future Labour leader and claw back some voters from the SNP, then today he has gone the wrong way about it. Die hard unionists and lifelong Labourites might like to pretend Scottish independence is about nativism, but middle of the road no voters and the vast majority of Yes voters know it's complete nonsense.
    It seems it's ok for others though.

    https://twitter.com/SadiqKhan/status/367580589307617280

  6. #35
    ADMIN marinello59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    I still live in hope.
    Posts
    28,010
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    It seems it's ok for others though.

    https://twitter.com/SadiqKhan/status/367580589307617280
    It hasn't been his day really has it?
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

  7. #36
    Coaching Staff steakbake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Gate 38
    Posts
    7,614
    [QUOTE=ronaldo7;4958509]
    Quote Originally Posted by steakbake View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    It seems it's ok for others though.

    https://twitter.com/SadiqKhan/status/367580589307617280
    Well of course, that's why you get those most curious of specimens in the east end of Glasgow: west coast Labourites who are very much pro Ireland yet when it comes to their home country, it's some kind of terrible thing.

    George Galloway types: all for self determination for pretty much any peoples of the world except where it comes to their own doorstep.

  8. #37
    Coaching Staff One Day Soon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In hope
    Age
    53
    Posts
    5,051
    [QUOTE=steakbake;4958686]
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    Well of course, that's why you get those most curious of specimens in the east end of Glasgow: west coast Labourites who are very much pro Ireland yet when it comes to their home country, it's some kind of terrible thing.

    George Galloway types: all for self determination for pretty much any peoples of the world except where it comes to their own doorstep.

    We have self-determination. We just determined what we think. Could Nicola get on with trying to run the country now for a while at least?

  9. #38
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,193
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It hasn't been his day really has it?
    https://twitter.com/LabourEoin/statu...13437901008898

  10. #39
    @hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Erm...........................
    Age
    50
    Posts
    9,596
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Even when handed gifts like todays U-turn on NI Corbyn completely fluffs any chance to make some ground on the Tories.

    Doesn't even use all his questions when has a massive opportunity to hammer May.

    Utterly depressing to be governed by this mob who can basically do what they want unless their own MPs stop her.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

  11. #40
    Coaching Staff Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    1000's of people's Barcelona
    Posts
    31,395
    Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Even when handed gifts like todays U-turn on NI Corbyn completely fluffs any chance to make some ground on the Tories.

    Doesn't even use all his questions when has a massive opportunity to hammer May.

    Utterly depressing to be governed by this mob who can basically do what they want unless their own MPs stop her.


    Relentlessly incompetant.

    The government is a shambles, with a working majority of only 17 and one of the weakest front benches I've ever known, yet Corbyn can't land a single blow.

    He goes from gaff to gaff, but refuses to bugger off and let someone capable take the reins.

    As you say, it's utterly depressing.

  12. #41
    @hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Chippenham/Bath
    Age
    37
    Posts
    4,265
    Was all for him to start. Now come to realise that England (therefore the U.K.) has shifted right that people like Corbyn just are not even at the races anymore. He's a dinosaur and if we want a semi decent opposition then he must go.

    The PLP is at the mercy of its membership, which is not in sync with the wider England.

    J

  13. #42
    Coaching Staff Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    1000's of people's Barcelona
    Posts
    31,395
    "Typical of Corbyn's compassion and sense of decency that, when confronted by someone desperately struggling, he leapt to her aid . . ."

    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...eless-thought/
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; 16-03-2017 at 01:24 AM.

  14. #43
    Testimonial Due Colr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    London
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,128
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "Typical of Corbyn's compassion and sense of decency that, when confronted by someone desperately struggling, he leapt to her aid . . ."

    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...eless-thought/
    Not a fan of the SNP but they are the only party holding the government tonaccount at the moment. They ARE the opposition.

    Maybe it shows the extent to which Labour really needed the "Tartan Mafia" of the Blair years!

  15. #44
    First Team Breakthrough
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    464
    There is none...


    (haven't read the thread)!

  16. #45
    @hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Down East
    Posts
    9,932
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    A classic case of 'the operation was a success but the patient died'.

  17. #46
    @hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Down East
    Posts
    9,932
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not a fan of the SNP but they are the only party holding the government tonaccount at the moment. They ARE the opposition.

    Maybe it shows the extent to which Labour really needed the "Tartan Mafia" of the Blair years!
    The Labour Party all but abandoned their core voters in Scotland (and in England for that matter). The Scots have opted for Hobson's choice. Nick Clegg's treacherous act of jumping into bed with the Tories killed off any chance the Lib/dems ever had of picking up disillusioned Labourites in 'Scotlandshire'.

  18. #47
    Coaching Staff Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    1000's of people's Barcelona
    Posts
    31,395
    This New Statesman article informs us that Labour's poll ratings have always dropped from this stage of a parliament and that if history is repeated again, Labour may win as few as 150 seats.

    http://www.newstatesman.com/politics...-lot-lot-worse
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; 21-03-2017 at 07:13 PM.

  19. #48
    @hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Down East
    Posts
    9,932
    Blog Entries
    1
    The future of the Labour Party


  20. #49
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,193
    Former Scottish Labour candidate moves to the SNP

    https://t.co/y75XxuYpXn

  21. #50
    Coaching Staff Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    1000's of people's Barcelona
    Posts
    31,395
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Former Scottish Labour candidate moves to the SNP

    https://t.co/y75XxuYpXn
    I thought you didn't like "Red Tories".

    All together now, sing, "Oh, Jamie Kerr, you used to be a Blairite, but you're alright now".
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned 1,789.68!



  22. #51
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,193
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I thought you didn't like "Red Tories".

    All together now, sing, "Oh, Jamie Kerr, you used to be a Blairite, but you're alright now".
    The initiation ceremony will wash it all off. Especially the steam clean, and bleach mix. The de-brief will be a bit boring though, as they've not done much recently.

    A tattoo of our "Dear Leader" (this one just for the other team), and he's ready to go.

    Red Tories is so last season. They're now the Anti European party.

    Piece from twitter.

    Events have moved so fast that our vocabulary hasn't quite caught up with them, and it's high time we updated the way we characterise certain political parties. *Scottish Labour, for example, should now quite properly be called an anti-European party - not in the sense of hating Germans or Italians, but in the more prosaic sense that they oppose our participation in European institutions. *There is no Labour proposal to reverse Brexit, and of course they dogmatically reject the only option that could keep Scotland in the EU after Brexit occurs. *They've gone all the way back to a position they last held in the 'longest suicide note in history' - their 1983 general election manifesto under Michael Foot. *They are separatists. *They want to build walls. *They think that what divides us from our European neighbours (ie. devotion to Blighty at all costs) is more important than what unites us.
    Last edited by ronaldo7; 30-03-2017 at 07:02 PM.

  23. #52
    Coaching Staff Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    1000's of people's Barcelona
    Posts
    31,395
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The initiation ceremony will wash it all off. Especially the steam clean, and bleach mix. The de-brief will be a bit boring though, as they've not done much recently.

    A tattoo of our "Dear Leader" (this one just for the other team), and he's ready to go.

    Red Tories is so last season. They're now the Anti European party.

    Piece from twitter.

    Events have moved so fast that our vocabulary hasn't quite caught up with them, and it's high time we updated the way we characterise certain political parties. *Scottish Labour, for example, should now quite properly be called an anti-European party - not in the sense of hating Germans or Italians, but in the more prosaic sense that they oppose our participation in European institutions. *There is no Labour proposal to reverse Brexit, and of course they dogmatically reject the only option that could keep Scotland in the EU after Brexit occurs. *They've gone all the way back to a position they last held in the 'longest suicide note in history' - their 1983 general election manifesto under Michael Foot. *They are separatists. *They want to build walls. *They think that what divides us from our European neighbours (ie. devotion to Blighty at all costs) is more important than what unites us.
    It's spot on, as long as Corbyn is leader.

    The pro-europeans in the LP have no voice.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned 1,789.68!



  24. #53
    Coaching Staff Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    1000's of people's Barcelona
    Posts
    31,395
    Here's an unanswerable case for Corbyn to go immediately from the Editor of the 'New Statesman'. There's a brilliant cinematic reference to a scene in 'LA Confidential', which goes someway towards providing an explanation as to why the Corbynistas fail to see what is blindingly obvious to the vast majority of the citizens of the electorate!

    http://www.newstatesman.com/politics...w-overwhelming
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned 1,789.68!



  25. #54
    Testimonial Due
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,024
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Here's an unanswerable case for Corbyn to go immediately from the Editor of the 'New Statesman'. There's a brilliant cinematic reference to a scene in 'LA Confidential', which goes someway towards providing an explanation as to why the Corbynistas fail to see what is blindingly obvious to the vast majority of the citizens of the electorate!

    http://www.newstatesman.com/politics...w-overwhelming
    Good article.

    I would tale issue with the comment at the start about who will speak for liberal Britain. I dont think the left is liberal, although i suppose it depends on your definitions.

  26. #55
    Testimonial Due
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,024
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's spot on, as long as Corbyn is leader.

    The pro-europeans in the LP have no voice.
    Was thinking about this the othet day.

    If (a big if, i realise) at the next election a party, say the lib dems, stood on a 'pro-EU' stance (leaving aside the detail of that), how would they do.

    Should Labour be taking that view, as a major policy to try and get it back in the game (it prob needs to do somethong big?)

    Also, what do thr labourites think is the reason for Corbyn's ambivalence to Europe?

  27. #56
    Left by mutual consent!
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    2,175
    I'll stand by what i've said before. Corbyn himself is not the problem with the Labour Party. It's not Corbyns policies that are causing Labour to lose support, it is the constant internal party divisions being stirred up by the right wing of the Labour Party who would much rather the Conservatives won the next election, than Labour with Corbyn as leader.

    It's so painstakingly obvious that those not getting it are choosing not to get it.

  28. #57
    Testimonial Due
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,024
    Quote Originally Posted by High-On-Hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'll stand by what i've said before. Corbyn himself is not the problem with the Labour Party. It's not Corbyns policies that are causing Labour to lose support, it is the constant internal party divisions being stirred up by the right wing of the Labour Party who would much rather the Conservatives won the next election, than Labour with Corbyn as leader.

    It's so painstakingly obvious that those not getting it are choosing not to get it.
    I blame trotsky!

  29. #58
    Coaching Staff heretoday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Corstorphine
    Posts
    9,107
    Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not a fan of the SNP but they are the only party holding the government tonaccount at the moment. They ARE the opposition.

    Maybe it shows the extent to which Labour really needed the "Tartan Mafia" of the Blair years!
    Well that's how things are at the moment. Not to say that a charismatic leader won't come along and galvanise Labour in the future.

    I certainly don't think it's a reason to cut and run for independence.

  30. #59
    Testimonial Due Colr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    London
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,128
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well that's how things are at the moment. Not to say that a charismatic leader won't come along and galvanise Labour in the future.

    I certainly don't think it's a reason to cut and run for independence.
    The strong showing from Emmanuel Macron in trhe French elections might show the way to a left leaning candidate with broader appeal than the current narrow, if well meaning, clique.

  31. #60
    @hibs.net private member Peevemor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Saint-Malo, Brittany
    Age
    50
    Posts
    16,583
    Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The strong showing from Emmanuel Macron in trhe French elections might show the way to a left leaning candidate with broader appeal than the current narrow, if well meaning, clique.
    I don't understand the Macron thing. He was polling high before he'd even hinted at any policy. He was part of the PS (French labour equivalent) government, but chose to set out on his own for the presidential election. He's standing against Benot Hamon, the PS candidate and has been endorsed by a few PS big hitters, meaning that Hamon has no chance.

    Macron makes out that he's the people's candidate but that's bull. He's centrist at best (definitely not left), his background is strange (it's suspected that he's lied about his education but he's the MSM's darling so that's been played down). His rock chick geriatric wife is upper management with LVMH and I don't think he has any idea of the everyday life of the ordinary voter.
    Last edited by Peevemor; 05-04-2017 at 09:55 PM. Reason: I

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved