hibs.net Messageboard

Page 19 of 34 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is he not a Raith Rovers 'supporter', oh wait
    Aye, but his favourite goal was for the Pars.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    Reminds me a bit of Kenneth Williams. I'm not judging him on appearance though when I wonder how he can possibly be the best that Scottish Labour have got to offer.
    I would love to hear Kenneth Williams doing Prime Ministers Questions!

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43367511

Mrs Abrahams said she had been victim to "aggressive, intimidating and wholly unprofessional" treatment by "certain individuals in the leader's office" over the last 10 months.

dear debbie, don't be afraid to name names....you could maybe start with the wee bearded terrorist sympathising communist, go on just say it hen, mind don't get the office communists mixed up

although some claim that she herself is a bit of a bully...
    Last edited by cabbageandribs1875; 12-03-2018 at 03:34 AM.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Corbyn sacks Owen Smith for calling for a 2nd referendum.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Hilarious stuff. More Labour members voted to Remain than voted for Corbyn as leader. I will happily wager more Labour members would vote Remain in a second referendum. Still, he gets to indulge his 1970s/80s tropes
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Shadow NI secretary expresses concern for the region and the GF agreement ahead of Brexit and calls for a rethink... and gets sacked. Even allowing for the party line aspect that's a pretty good indicator right there of why the labour party are a good distance from being electable just now despite the weakness and utter ridiculousness of the DUP propped Tory government.

It's just so sad all round that pretty much anyone with any measurable influence seems determined to shoot themselves in the foot and/or slit the throat of anyone who wants to bring some sanity to this utter madness.
    Last edited by Mr White; 23-03-2018 at 09:39 PM.

I’m astonished that twat was in the shadow cabinet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    Shadow NI secretary expresses concern for the region and the GF agreement ahead of Brexit and calls for a rethink... and gets sacked. Even allowing for the party line aspect that's a pretty good indicator right there of why the labour party are a good distance from being electable just now despite the weakness and utter ridiculousness of the DUP propped Tory government.

It's just so sad all round that pretty much anyone with any measurable influence seems determined to shoot themselves in the foot and/or slit the throat of anyone who wants to bring some sanity to this utter madness.

There's a lot of self-indulgence going on just now from people in different parties. I find the phrase 'lunatics running the asylum' a bit distasteful but the sentiment of it captures where we are just now.

As for Smith, it's yet another example of Corbyn's sheer hypocrisy. He made a principle of voting against his party on hundreds of occasions but happily accepted all the support, finance and resourcing that came from being a Labour MP, especially when it came to re-election. Not so keen on comrades voicing disagreement now though.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post

There's a lot of self-indulgence going on just now from people in different parties. I find the phrase 'lunatics running the asylum' a bit distasteful but the sentiment of it captures where we are just now.

As for Smith, it's yet another example of Corbyn's sheer hypocrisy. He made a principle of voting against his party on hundreds of occasions but happily accepted all the support, finance and resourcing that came from being a Labour MP, especially when it came to re-election. Not so keen on comrades voicing disagreement now though.
    Corbyn was never in the shadow cabinet though.

Don’t get me wrong I agree with Smith 100% on this particular issue.

J

Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    The way things are heading people will be dying in the streets of Northern Ireland in numbers again before too long. Smith wouldn't have been doing his job if he'd ignored that elephant in the room. It's a shame so many of his colleagues seem content to treat that as an inevitably.

I agree, he's spectacularly bad. However, I'm not happy at the implication that the sacking gives about the Party's Brexit position. A bad decision. Edit, or maybe a good decision for a bad reason.
    Last edited by hibsbollah; 23-03-2018 at 10:13 PM.

The way things are heading people will be dying in the streets of Northern Ireland in numbers again before too long. Smith wouldn't have been doing his job if he'd ignored that elephant in the room. It's a shame so many of his colleagues seem content to treat that as an inevitably.
    I'll admit to not having an in-depth knowledge but Smith seemed to have a degree of respect from all communities in Northern Ireland, which few ministers or shadow ministers could really claim over the decades - does that sound reasonable?

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    I'll admit to not having an in-depth knowledge but Smith seemed to have a degree of respect from all communities in Northern Ireland, which few ministers or shadow ministers could really claim over the decades - does that sound reasonable?
    It does sound reasonable but tbh I don't know much about his rep over here. From what I've read recently though I think he was spot on in the comments that lead to his removal from the shadow cabinet.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar

And that is exactly the problem b. Anyone who decides to take up a position for the greater good in British politics is either whipped into line or slapped down. It’s not about who you know, it’s about who you add up to.

GIRLS DONT LIKE BOYS GIRLS LIKE SIMON MURRAY

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    I agree, he's spectacularly bad. However, I'm not happy at the implication that the sacking gives about the Party's Brexit position. A bad decision. Edit, or maybe a good decision for a bad reason.
    I voted in the last leadership challenge but, as much as I think Corbyn is preventing Labour putting a meaningful challenge to this diabolical Tory government, Owen was not of a sufficient calibre to replace him.

I was particularly pissed off with Angela Eagle for lacking the integrity to stand.

@hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    It looks like the Labour councillors in Falkirk have just joined the Tories to oust the minority SNP administration. I wonder if Richard will have a word?

SCOTLAND CAN.

Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    It looks like the Labour councillors in Falkirk have just joined the Tories to oust the minority SNP administration. I wonder if Richard will have a word?
    Congratulations!......Probably!

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post

Relentlessly incompetant.

The government is a shambles, with a working majority of only 17 and one of the weakest front benches I've ever known, yet Corbyn can't land a single blow.

He goes from gaff to gaff, but refuses to bugger off and let someone capable take the reins.

As you say, it's utterly depressing.
    This is not meant to be a cheeky question but, is there someone available to take up the reins who IS capable?

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    This is not meant to be a cheeky question but, is there someone available to take up the reins who IS capable?
    Everyone in the Labour party is keeping their heads down so I have no idea who is competent or otherwise.

But you've quoted a post I made over a year ago so maybe I had someone in mind then.

However, my point is still valid. Labour should be miles in front of the Tories yet they're still lagging behind.

Why's that?

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Everyone in the Labour party is keeping their heads down so I have no idea who is competent or otherwise.

But you've quoted a post I made over a year ago so maybe I had someone in mind then.

However, my point is still valid. Labour should be miles in front of the Tories yet they're still lagging behind.

Why's that?
    Because politics in England has taken a huge leap to the right.

You’d think that after 19 pages, the irony would become apparent.

I’m not sure anyone who has contributed within the last two pages (apart from maybe one poster) has anything to do with the future of the Labour Party.

Plenty of people who are scared of what might happen though. Needlessly scared.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

I’m not sure anyone who has contributed within the last two pages (apart from maybe one poster) has anything to do with the future of the Labour Party.

Scared of what?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Its like an old boyfriend at the bar, desperately trying to persuade everyone that his ex is actually really ugly and stupid, again and again and again. The ex has moved on and is happy with her new life. You just wish the pub bore would find someone else who would make him equally happy.

@hibs.net private member
    The future is bright, the future is ‘free’!

So more ‘free’ stuff from Labour...this time under 25’s to get ‘free’ bus travel.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.t...ree-bus-travel

To be paid for out of existing taxation so the ‘free’ is of course a total misnomer. Tax payer subsidised would of course be rather more accurate...or in fact funded by debt since the shortfall in the spending the money is currently ear marked for is to be filled with government borrowing.

Dunno why they just don’t make the whole transport system ‘free’! Over 60’s can travel ‘free’ in a lot of the UK and over 65’s everywhere. Now we have a proposal for under 25’s which only leave the forgotten lot between 25-60 who seem to be assumed not to need ‘free’ travel.

Then there is the cost...13m saving up to £1,000 = £1.4bn according to Corbynomics.

Of course Major Khan loves the policy (despite TFL now running a £1bn deficit, not helped by his meddling) claiming the ‘investment’ will do all manner of wonderful things.

Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    The future is bright, the future is ‘free’!

So more ‘free’ stuff from Labour...this time under 25’s to get ‘free’ bus travel.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/politics/2018/apr/11/labour-announces-plan-for-under-25s-to-have-free-bus-travel

To be paid for out of existing taxation so the ‘free’ is of course a total misnomer. Tax payer subsidised would of course be rather more accurate...or in fact funded by debt since the shortfall in the spending the money is currently ear marked for is to be filled with government borrowing.

Dunno why they just don’t make the whole transport system ‘free’! Over 60’s can travel ‘free’ in a lot of the UK and over 65’s everywhere. Now we have a proposal for under 25’s which only leave the forgotten lot between 25-60 who seem to be assumed not to need ‘free’ travel.

Then there is the cost...13m saving up to £1,000 = £1.4bn according to Corbynomics.

Of course Major Khan loves the policy (despite TFL now running a £1bn deficit, not helped by his meddling) claiming the ‘investment’ will do all manner of wonderful things.
    Free bus travel for under-25s. That's the burning issue of the day isn't it? More hollow pledges from the blessed Jeremy as he looks to keep the youth vote on side, lest they start to realise he's just a rather dull old bloke.

"I'm Marc Wadsworth, you might have heard of me". Not for a while hopefully.

I would love to hear Kenneth Williams doing Prime Ministers Questions!
    Carry on Brexit

The cast:-

David Davis- Syd James
    De Pfeffel - Terry Scott
    Michael Gove - Kenneth Williams

Big effort from the young Labour activists around the capital but very limited impact.

Given the lacklustre performances in the HoC by the parliamentary party, the evolution of Labour seems still work in progress!!

I think we’ve reach peak left wing and the party needs to broaden its appeal.
    Last edited by Colr; 04-05-2018 at 05:14 AM.

Pretty poor Labour performance in English local elections. This is usually an opportunity for the opposition to win a load of seats due to the public's unhappiness with the Government. No surprise though.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    When I woke up and saw the Guardian headline " May survives", my heart sank. I've stayed silent about Jeremy Corbyn since the surprising result in the snap election, but that's a terrible result.

If Labour can't inflict a serious blow during local elections when the Tories are at each others throats, getting defeated 10 times a week in the HoL, their Prime Minister is implicated in an outrageous scandal, and their senior ministers are resigning to protect her, they stand little or no chance if removing them from government in a GE. Ever.

"Things might change so wait and see" isn't good enough for a football team never mind a political party.

If people really want the Tories out and Labour to form government, Corbyn must be replaced by a more voter friendly leader.

I suspect that winning the next general election isn't the priority for many on the left, however. I despair.
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; 04-05-2018 at 09:15 AM.