hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
Results 541 to 570 of 635
  1. #541
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    12,464
    The phrase whipping boy comes from when a member of the royal family would appoint someone to take the punishment for the member of the aristocracy. Apparently it was a much coveted role and many whipping boys went on to hold impressive titles

    GIRLS DONT LIKE BOYS GIRLS LIKE SIMON MURRAY


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #542
    Enoch Powells famous speech never actually contained the phrase 'rivers of blood'.

  4. #543
    Testimonial Due Since90+2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Leith
    Posts
    3,045
    Packets of crisps always go out of date on the same day of the week - a Saturday.
    Last edited by Since90+2; 05-01-2018 at 11:55 AM.

  5. #544
    Russe Blanc is the only racehorse currently in training who's registered colour is white.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

  6. #545
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    12,464
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Russe Blanc is the only racehorse currently in training who's registered colour is white.
    Thatís absolutely bizarre. How does that work? I always thought that all grey horses were born black and got gradually whiter as they aged. Is this horse an albino?

    GIRLS DONT LIKE BOYS GIRLS LIKE SIMON MURRAY

  7. #546
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thatís absolutely bizarre. How does that work? I always thought that all grey horses were born black and got gradually whiter as they aged. Is this horse an albino?
    Grey horses have black/dark skin and their hair is darker when they are younger (chestnut or black) and as you say lightens as they age. Look at Desert Orchid at 8 and 20 to see that in action.

    White horses have pink skin (noticeable about the mouth and eyes) and are born with a white coat.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

  8. #547
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    12,464
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Grey horses have black/dark skin and their hair is darker when they are younger (chestnut or black) and as you say lightens as they age. Look at Desert Orchid at 8 and 20 to see that in action.

    White horses have pink skin (noticeable about the mouth and eyes) and are born with a white coat.
    The explanation makes sense, but itís the fact that only 1 horse in training is classified in that way is what I find remarkable.
    Itís truly an interesting fact and a useless piece of information.

    GIRLS DONT LIKE BOYS GIRLS LIKE SIMON MURRAY

  9. #548
    @hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Blackpool
    Age
    58
    Posts
    48,615
    The pool on the titanic still to this day is full of water.

  10. #549
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The pool on the titanic still to this day is full of water.
    😊😊😊😊

  11. #550
    @hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Down East
    Posts
    12,130
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The pool on the titanic still to this day is full of water.
    ... I could swim in all day to a band playing.
    Last edited by snooky; 26-01-2018 at 05:40 PM.

  12. #551
    @hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    8,852
    A fire has burned beneath the mostly abandoned ex-mining town of Centralia in Pennsylvania since 1962. Interesting article about a church there on the BBC this week.

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42781736

  13. #552
    #dotnettopboiz Haymaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Chatham, NJ, USA
    Age
    33
    Posts
    8,886
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A fire has burned beneath the mostly abandoned ex-mining town of Centralia in Pennsylvania since 1962. Interesting article about a church there on the BBC this week.

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42781736
    That was a cool read thanks
    21.05.2016. I Was There.
    .net PM board "Biggest Slaver of the year 2014"
    The Famous Haymaker
    Less talk, more gifs. :

  14. #553
    Testimonial Due Just Jimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Fife
    Age
    32
    Posts
    3,841
    The saying "give the whole nine yards" comes from the fact the ammunition belts on the P-51 Mustang were 9 Yards long.

    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

  15. #554
    Testimonial Due Since90+2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Leith
    Posts
    3,045
    How do Sky Sports news get results from all the games on a weekend? Do they have a reporter at literally every ground that messages in with the scores?

  16. #555
    @hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    21,857
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How do Sky Sports news get results from all the games on a weekend? Do they have a reporter at literally every ground that messages in with the scores?
    They listen to the radio. Doh.


    How does the snowplough driver get to his work in the morning?

    Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

  17. #556
    @hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    8,852
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They listen to the radio. Doh.


    How does the snowplough driver get to his work in the morning?

    Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk
    Sleeps in his cab?

  18. #557
    @hibs.net private member Eaststand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Eastside
    Age
    60
    Posts
    699
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sleeps in his cab?
    I think some gritters get to take their loaded up gritting lorry home the night before bad weather is expected.
    A sensible move to ensure they can get on the road plowing/gritting straight away

    GGTTH


    GGTTH

  19. #558
    @hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    21,857
    Quote Originally Posted by Eaststand View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think some gritters get to take their loaded up gritting lorry home the night before bad weather is expected.
    A sensible move to ensure they can get on the road plowing/gritting straight away

    GGTTH
    It wasn't an altogether serious question.

    I actually discovered one answer when I was visiting a pal out near Middleton/Gorebridge years ago. There's an enormous mountain of grit there....... with lots of yelly lorries.....beside some houses.

    So... Midlothian's Mr.Plow stays at his work.

  20. #559
    #dotnettopboiz Haymaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Chatham, NJ, USA
    Age
    33
    Posts
    8,886
    Quote Originally Posted by Eaststand View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think some gritters get to take their loaded up gritting lorry home the night before bad weather is expected.
    A sensible move to ensure they can get on the road plowing/gritting straight away

    GGTTH


    My neighbour is my local gritter/plougher and he keeps the truck at his
    21.05.2016. I Was There.
    .net PM board "Biggest Slaver of the year 2014"
    The Famous Haymaker
    Less talk, more gifs. :

  21. #560
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    12,464
    96% of the universe is made of stuff we canít see or detect.

    GIRLS DONT LIKE BOYS GIRLS LIKE SIMON MURRAY

  22. #561
    @hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Down East
    Posts
    12,130
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    96% of the universe is made of stuff we canít see or detect.
    How would we know? Or was that a whoosh?

  23. #562
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    12,464
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How would we know? Or was that a whoosh?
    Itís definitely not a whoosh. We know because without the 96% the universe wouldnít be possible in its current form. Dark matter makes up a large part of the universe. We canít see it, but we know itís there due to the way that normal matter behaves. Itís either that or everything we think we know about the universe is wrong. It wouldnít be the first time that science has been led down a dead end street.

    GIRLS DONT LIKE BOYS GIRLS LIKE SIMON MURRAY

  24. #563
    Testimonial Due Geo_1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In my Joy Division Oven Gloves
    Posts
    4,078
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Itís definitely not a whoosh. We know because without the 96% the universe wouldnít be possible in its current form. Dark matter makes up a large part of the universe. We canít see it, but we know itís there due to the way that normal matter behaves. Itís either that or everything we think we know about the universe is wrong. It wouldnít be the first time that science has been led down a dead end street.
    Theoretical physics is just a guessing game. Much of it is accepted until someone makes a better guess.

  25. #564
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    12,464
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo_1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Theoretical physics is just a guessing game. Much of it is accepted until someone makes a better guess.
    I totally agree. In fairness some of the things they come up with are educated guesses. The problem is that they canít all be right.

    GIRLS DONT LIKE BOYS GIRLS LIKE SIMON MURRAY

  26. #565
    @hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Down East
    Posts
    12,130
    Blog Entries
    4
    "...As we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns — the ones we don't know we don't know" - Donald Rumsfeld

    In a nutshell Donnie Boy

  27. #566
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    12,464
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "...As we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns ó the ones we don't know we don't know" - Donald Rumsfeld

    In a nutshell Donnie Boy
    Wise words.

    GIRLS DONT LIKE BOYS GIRLS LIKE SIMON MURRAY

  28. #567
    First Team Breakthrough
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    187
    The most common password used on the Internet is 123456

  29. #568
    Testimonial Due hibby6270's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Leith, Edinburgh
    Age
    59
    Posts
    1,724
    Ewan McGregorís brother Colin is a pilot in the Royal Air Force.

    His RAF nickname is Obi Two.

  30. #569
    #dotnettopboiz Haymaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Chatham, NJ, USA
    Age
    33
    Posts
    8,886
    Quote Originally Posted by hibby6270 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ewan McGregorís brother Colin is a pilot in the Royal Air Force.

    His RAF nickname is Obi Two.
    21.05.2016. I Was There.
    .net PM board "Biggest Slaver of the year 2014"
    The Famous Haymaker
    Less talk, more gifs. :

  31. #570
    @hibs.net private member Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    North stand
    Posts
    16,356
    The last time a Premier League game was played without any substitutions being made was 22 March 2003 - Manchester United v Fulham

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved