hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ryder Cup 2023

Ryder Cup 2023

The European Ryder Cup team is beginning to take shape, with six automatic slots determined by the World and European rankings and six Captain picks.

The six automatic picks at the moment (25th July) are:

European List

1. Rory McIlroy – 4033.5pts
    2. Jon Rahm – 3417.23
    3. Robert MacIntyre – 1743.57

World List

1. Jon Rahm – 388.57pts
    2. Rory McIlroy – 364.59
    3. Viktor Hovland – 265.75
    4. Tyrrell Hatton – 195.51
    5. Tommy Fleetwood – 158.33

Just outside the automatic picks are Yannick Paul, Adrian Meronk, Matt Fitzpatrick (9th World Ranking), Shane Lowry, Sepp Straka and Justin Rose.

You would think that the Europe team would be made up from the twelve named above, albeit still time for one or more new entrants.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member mayo hibee's Avatar
    McIlroy, Rahm, Fitzpatrick, Hatton, Fleetwood, Lowry, Hovland, Straka and Rose I would imagine are locked in one way or the other. Sadly the other three look like weak links whoever is picked and it's going to be a big job for those nine to carry home whoever else is in the team, even with home advantage.

Ryder Cup 2023: Rory McIlroy and Jon Rahm confirmed on Luke Donald's European team - BBC Sport

Northern Ireland's Rory McIlroy and Jon Rahm of Spain have had their places on the European team for this year's Ryder Cup confirmed.

Ryder Cup 2023: USA team to face Europe contains at least three debutants - BBC Sport

Scottie Scheffler
    Xander Schauffele
    Patrick Cantlay
    Brian Harman
    Wyndham Clark
    Max Homa

Koepka, Thomas and Speith now needing a captain's pick!

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ryder Cup 2023: USA team to face Europe contains at least three debutants - BBC Sport

Scottie Scheffler
    Xander Schauffele
    Patrick Cantlay
    Brian Harman
    Wyndham Clark
    Max Homa

Captain’s pick or not, Thomas shouldn’t get anywhere near that team.

Scottie Scheffler
    Xander Schauffele
    Patrick Cantlay
    Brian Harman
    Wyndham Clark
    Max Homa

Koepka
    Morikawa
    Speith
    Burns
    Young
    Maybe Fowler because the fans love him

That would be my 6 wildcards for the USA.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Feels a bit like momentum has swung towards Europe lately.

The last Ryder Cup was a bit of a pasting and the Americans looked really strong for the foreseeable future but they've been hit by LIV and a few of their key players being out of form.

On the other side, some Europeans have been playing some great stuff and home advantage always counts for a lot during the Ryder Cup. The weaker end of the European team will probably cause some folk some concern but there always seems to be a hero who can emerge and scrape an unlikely and invaluable point or two.

I've watched the Italian Open on this course over the past few years and it shaping up to be an absolute cracker imo - can't wait.

Two tournaments to go - Czech Masters then European Masters and Bob Mac is still holding on to 3rd automatic spot, but with Paul, Meronk, Perez and Hojgaard snapping at his heels. Not sure what points are up for grabs at these two tournies but hopefully if he drops out of the top three over the next two weeks his previous win at Marco Simone will see him picked. Just hope he doesn't bomb at both.
    https://www.europeantour.com/dpworld...-nears-climax/

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Just_Jimmy View Post
    Koepka
    Morikawa
    Speith
    Burns
    Young

Pretty much the same 6 I thought. Would maybe take Glover ahead of Speith, Burns or Morikawa on current form considering he is the 2nd highest American in the FedEX cup standing.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    Pretty much the same 6 I thought. Would maybe take Glover ahead of Speith, Burns or Morikawa on current form considering he is the 2nd highest American in the FedEX cup standing.
    Possibly and you'd be hard pressed to say he didn't deserve it on form but I just feel these guys have done it and know what it takes. Young and burns would go as the two rookies (I don't think Burns has played).

Our bottom end looks less impressive but who knows. Home soil and the top end might carry us.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    Two tournaments to go - Czech Masters then European Masters and Bob Mac is still holding on to 3rd automatic spot, but with Paul, Meronk, Perez and Hojgaard snapping at his heels. Not sure what points are up for grabs at these two tournies but hopefully if he drops out of the top three over the next two weeks his previous win at Marco Simone will see him picked. Just hope he doesn't bomb at both.
    https://www.europeantour.com/dpworld...-nears-climax/
    Bob Mac will be in the team even if not an automatic pick. He has the balls for it !

Quote Originally Posted by hibeg View Post
    Bob Mac will be in the team even if not an automatic pick. He has the balls for it !
    Good round of golf from Bob this morning.

Brooks Koepka, Justin Thomas, Sam Burns, Rickie Fowler, Collin Morikawa and Jordan Spieth confirmed as Zach Johnson's six wildcard picks for the upcoming Ryder Cup.

Full team is:

Scottie Scheffler
    Xander Schauffele
    Patrick Cantlay
    Brian Harman
    Wyndham Clark
    Max Homa
    Brooks Koepka
    Justin Thomas
    Sam Burns
    Rickie Fowler
    Collin Morikawa
    Jordan Spieth

No real weakness in the above team.

Quote Originally Posted by Just_Jimmy View Post
    Koepka
    Morikawa
    Speith
    Burns
    Young

Close, but Young misses out with Thomas picked. Harsh on Young.

Close, but Young misses out with Thomas picked. Harsh on Young.
    On form that's a terrible choice. Youngs driving would make him hard to beat in a 4 ball or singles.

Thomas form has been awful but you have to think Johnson has gone for the experience and the JT/Speith/Fowler mates act.

Let's get them smashed!

The Captain's picks are:

Tommy Fleetwood
    Sepp Straka
    Justin Rose
    Shane Lowry
    Nicolai Hojgaard
    Ludvig Aberg

Ryder Cup: Ludvig Aberg to debut for Team Europe after being named as captain's pick by Luke Donald | Golf News | Sky Sports
    Last edited by theonlywayisup; 04-09-2023 at 01:35 PM.

That's a pretty solid looking European team.

The golf was great viewing on Friday afternoon. Crans Sur Sierre is a cracking venue anyway but it felt a bit surreal and totally nerve wracking watching Bob McIntyre scrambling to make the cut knowing his Ryder Cup dreams might be hanging on it.
    Last edited by Smartie; 04-09-2023 at 02:57 PM.

Sorry in advance for this 🙈 but… I think USA are decent value for a punt at around 10/11. I was guessing more like 4/9.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    I would have said Meronk should have been a captains pick, especially since he won on the same course a few months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibee87 View Post
    I would have said Meronk should have been a captains pick, especially since he won on the same course a few months ago.
    Suppose Ludvig Aberg winning in Switzerland changed things. Meronk may have been a better option than Lowry and Rose, but Donald has obviously gone for experience with those two.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    The inclusion of hojgaard instead of Meronk is a head scratcher IMO. Decent enough team either way but struggling to see the justification.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Sorry in advance for this 🙈 but… I think USA are decent value for a punt at around 10/11. I was guessing more like 4/9.
    Think you are right. Looks decent value

Ludvig Aberg looks good

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Sorry in advance for this �� but… I think USA are decent value for a punt at around 10/11. I was guessing more like 4/9.
    Betting about right but id say Europe are massively understated,

USA not won in Europe since Valhalla 2008,

9 of USA team wont have played competive tourney golf for 5 weeks when the ryder cup starts,

A lot of folk wont have heard of Aberg but he is unreal, great asset to have on the team and doesnt seem phased by anything. Played very well at wentworth at weekend.

Hovland won the fed ex and in exceptional form.

Rahm and McIlroy hugely experienced and also in amazing form.

European team met up at Marco Simone course a couple of weeks ago to practice and bonding session, great prep that went very well and no other euro team has done this before so they will be familiar with the course and surroundings when they arrive next week..

All the euro team played wentworth at the weekend and were grouped together Thursday and Friday, great preperation.

I think Europe are quietly going about there prep much better than USA and Europe would be my slight favs.

Heading over for it, fly over Thursday, tickets for the course on Friday and kick about Rome then Naples for the weekend.

Kilts on so hoping Bob Mac plays morning and afternoon sessions on Friday, which is unlikely unfortunately, probably just play 1 of the sessions.
    Last edited by macca70; 19-09-2023 at 12:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by macca70 View Post
    Betting about right but id say Europe are massively understated,

USA not won in Europe since Valhalla 2008,

9 of USA team wont have played competive tourney golf for 5 weeks when the ryder cup starts,

A lot of folk wont have heard of Aberg but he is unreal, great asset to have on the team and doesnt seem phased by anything. Played very well at wentworth at weekend.

Hovland won the fed ex and in exceptional form.

Rahm and McIlroy hugely experienced and also in amazing form.

European team met up at Marco Simone course a couple of weeks ago to practice and bonding session, great prep that went very well and no other euro team has done this before so they will be familiar with the course and surroundings when they arrive next week..

All the euro team played wentworth at the weekend and were grouped together Thursday and Friday, great preperation.

I think Europe are quietly going about there prep much better than USA and Europe would be my slight favs.

Heading over for it, fly over Thursday, tickets for the course on Friday and kick about Rome then Naples for the weekend.

Kilts on so hoping Bob Mac plays morning and afternoon sessions on Friday, which is unlikely unfortunately, probably just play 1 of the sessions.
    I must admit, Europe look to be the value to me.

Home advantage is huge and their preparation looks meticulous, with lots of players in very good form.

Obviously the Americans have a lot of talent but they've been hit harder by the LIV effect, must surely be concerned about Thomas' form and there seems to be a wee air of complacency about their preparation.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    Anyone know roughly the time this starts next week? I was going to maybe take the day off and suggest meeting a mate or 2 in the pub for it, but not sure when it will start to try and arrange it

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I must admit, Europe look to be the value to me.

Home advantage is huge and their preparation looks meticulous, with lots of players in very good form.

Obviously the Americans have a lot of talent but they've been hit harder by the LIV effect, must surely be concerned about Thomas' form and there seems to be a wee air of complacency about their preparation.
    We’ll soon find out but Europe would have to be around 2/1 before I considered them close to value. I think most expect it to be close and should be great viewing - but I just have a hunch that USA will take it without too much trouble this time.

And they’ll be quite comfortable with JT if he plays like he did this weekend passed.

Anyone know roughly the time this starts next week? I was going to maybe take the day off and suggest meeting a mate or 2 in the pub for it, but not sure when it will start to try and arrange it
    Early doors on the Friday morning I think… be teed off before pubs open but you’ll still get a full day once you’re in 👍

Friday 29 September: Four foursome (alternate shot) matches in the morning and four fourball (better ball) matches in the afternoon.

Morning schedule

6:35 Foursomes match 1

6:50 Foursomes match 2

7:05 Foursomes match 3

7:20 Foursomes match 4

Afternoon schedule

11:25 Fourball match 1

11:40 Fourball match 2

11:55 Fourball match 3

12:10 Fourball match 4

Saturday 30 September: Four foursome (alternate shot) matches in the morning and four fourball (better ball) matches in the afternoon.

Morning schedule

7:35 Foursomes match 1

7:50 Foursomes match 2

8:05 Foursomes match 3

8:20 Foursomes match 4

Afternoon schedule

12:25 Fourball match 1

12:40 Fourball match 2

12:55 Fourball match 3

13:10 Fourball match 4

Sunday 1 October: 12 singles matches before closing ceremony.

11:35 Sunday singles (12 players tee off every 12 minutes (approximately 17:00 finish).

The home captain chooses which format is played in the morning and which in the afternoon on the first two days

Good wee video of the Team rooms. Shows how the memory of Seve still plays a huge part. He is their 13th man.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDo5c_NUQIE