hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mo Farah retains 10000m title

Some achievement after recovering from a mid race fall, he's like a modern day Alf Tupper! :-)

2. Log in to remove the advert

Up there with Gebrasallassie as the best distance runner of all time. With a personality to match.

Farah's a phenomenal athlete, and a nice guy too. In terms of measuring him against long distance runners of the past, I suppose I'd say he's very like Yifta (I guessing at the spelling), nicknamed 'Yifta The Shifter', who was deadly at 5000 and 10000 metres. The only thing I'd say against putting him right at the top is that he's not broken the world records in either of them, several athletes before him have run faster times, and there must be a slight question against how good the opposition are, but that's not his fault at all, he can only beat what's in front of him, and he does that regularly. Great athlete with a great attitude.

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Dave1875
    Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Farah's a phenomenal athlete, and a nice guy too. In terms of measuring him against long distance runners of the past, I suppose I'd say he's very like Yifta (I guessing at the spelling), nicknamed 'Yifta The Shifter', who was deadly at 5000 and 10000 metres. The only thing I'd say against putting him right at the top is that he's not broken the world records in either of them, several athletes before him have run faster times, and there must be a slight question against how good the opposition are, but that's not his fault at all, he can only beat what's in front of him, and he does that regularly. Great athlete with a great attitude.
    I think in regards to beating WR and OR mo farah has to contend with a lot of tactics against and attempts at spoiling meaning he has to sit normally at the back of the pack and let others set the pace so he has an idea of how other athletes are going about the race, if he was the one setting the pace I believe he'd have troubled those records more, his 10,000 the other night he ran the last mile in 4:03 that tells me he wasn't really troubled by the early pace set or his unfortunate fall and that was with the kenyans publicly stating they where going to run the strong finish out of mo

Quote Originally Posted by Matty_Jack04 View Post
    I think in regards to beating WR and OR mo farah has to contend with a lot of tactics against and attempts at spoiling meaning he has to sit normally at the back of the pack and let others set the pace so he has an idea of how other athletes are going about the race, if he was the one setting the pace I believe he'd have troubled those records more, his 10,000 the other night he ran the last mile in 4:03 that tells me he wasn't really troubled by the early pace set or his unfortunate fall and that was with the kenyans publicly stating they where going to run the strong finish out of mo
    He also ran the final 100m in 13 something seconds! unbelievable muscle power he must have.

Yeh, some fair points there, but I always get the impression Farah is more concerned with winning than breaking records. I wasn't counting the race the other day when he fell. To be fair to him, he can only beat what's in front of him, but he's not the first distance runner to have a finishing kick on him, and some of the others have also broken world records. As you say, others try tactics to beat him obviously, but I'm just not totally convinced, apart from Farah, that they're world class track athletes. Most of them seem to be better in the road races, where Farah isn't nearly as good. I should emphasize I like Farah, he's a great advert for athletics.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    How do the tactics work? What's to stop Farah going out to run his best possible time in any given race?

Here we go.
    Go on mo, the double double and a chance to be considered the Greatest ever.

What an athlete. Superb is all I can say.

Advertises quorn, so it's a big no from me.

Left by mutual consent!
    Part of the Nike Oregon Project - Trained in Kenya before they brought in doping control - Then moved to Ethiopia as no OoC Doping Control in place - Couldn't hear his doorbell nor mobile phone when the dope checkers came a calling to his London apartment - He's Somalian.

He's an African with all circumstantial evidence pointing to the fact he dopes.

Sorry - He's a fraud.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergey View Post
    Part of the Nike Oregon Project - Trained in Kenya before they brought in doping control - Then moved to Ethiopia as no OoC Doping Control in place - Couldn't hear his doorbell nor mobile phone when the dope checkers came a calling to his London apartment - He's Somalian.

Sorry - He's a fraud.
    I agree. As Greg lemond says - there are no miracles. Top level athletics is as blighted by performance enhancement as it has been for the entire last 40 years. I suppose you just have to accept it for what it is. Especially when someone like Seb Coe is in charge of the clean up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by ihibs7 View Post
    I agree. As Greg lemond says - there are no miracles. Top level athletics is as blighted by performance enhancement as it has been for the entire last 40 years. I suppose you just have to accept it for what it is. Especially when someone like Seb Coe is in charge of the clean up.

Listen, ihibs7 - you can't agree with me. No one ever agrees with me. This is a forum first so you can delete your post

You mention Seb Coe - he's a politician who will do everything possible to cover-up misdemeanour's in drug anomalies. FFS - He's recruited Paula Radcliffe as his right hand aide. You couldn't make this sh]t up.

The Ethiopian who broke the 10k record in the women's race was one of the most farcical sporting frauds ever broadcast. Both the IOC and WADA no Ethiopia don't drug test yet they let them race without question.

The whole thing is a farce and is akin to FIFA at football...but probably worse, if that is possible.

I doubt many are 100% clean.

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Here we go.
    Go on mo, the double double and a chance to be considered the Greatest ever.
    Super athlete, excellent achievement. I heard Brendan Foster saying that Farah must be regarded as the greatest British sportsman; I don't think I'd go that far and Foster has a habit of selecting athletes as greatest overall. Roger Black was more measured, agreeing that comparing across sports is too subjective to be definitive, but that Farah has a fair claim to be the greatest track athlete. With his success will unfortunately come innuendo, but most of the accusations I've seen are from trolling blowhards who are best ignored and pitied.
    ​#PERSEVERED

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar

Sorry - He's a fraud.
    Blah blah blah

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by superhibi1 View Post
    Blah blah blah
    Man from Grangemouth speaks.

I didn't really expect conversation on the subject!

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar

says it all one of the biggest crooks going...and a 'sir' tae mind you though, philip green is a 'sir' as well

absolutely sickening

Man from Grangemouth speaks.

I didn't really expect conversation on the subject!

What has where i stay have to do with anything. You talk more rubbish than anyone on this board so you get a reaction

Left by mutual consent!
    What has where i stay have to do with anything. You talk more rubbish than anyone on this board so you get a reaction
    Why don't you answer the specific point I raised...one by one? In case you need them again, here they are:

Sorry - He's a fraud.
    Look at them closely - think carefully before you reply to each one...

...and by the way, I've never noticed you on the forum before tonight, so don't get too worked up.

Totally disagree with Sergey, but I love Mo Farah to the extent that he could be mainlining ketamine up his jacksie prerace and it wouldn't really bother me. Drugs are just a form of nutrition, after all.

Why don't you answer the specific point I raised...one by one? In case you need them again, here they are:

Look at them closely - think carefully before you reply to each one...

...and by the way, I've never noticed you on the forum before tonight, so don't get too worked up.
    So the evidence is circumstantial but you post it as fact, and please dont speak to me like im an idiot, if anything your posts make you sound like an idiot, and to be honest i dont really care if you notice me on a board. Im not here for the attention like yourself

Left by mutual consent!
    So the evidence is circumstantial but you post it as fact, and please dont speak to me like im an idiot, if anything your posts make you sound like an idiot, and to be honest i dont really care if you notice me on a board. Im not here for the attention like yourself
    Oh dear - you're clearly not very good at this internet thing, but I'll let you off because of your location.

I'll just drop you into my ignore folder and be done with you.

I want him to be clean, like most of the superstars but... There's always that doubt.

It might be circumstantial evidence but it breeds doubt.

@hibs.net private member

Sorry - He's a fraud.
    I'm also suspicious of anyone successful - thing is he's never been close to a world record; is he not taking enough?

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs Class View Post
    most of the accusations I've seen are from trolling blowhards who are best ignored and pitied.
    Trolling? Nah, believe want you want to believe. Ignore? That's entirely up to you. Pitied, whatever.

I go back to my earlier point that there are no miracles. There is an awful lot of implausible stuff going on in athletics, like the women's 10k where four of the fastest five times ever were run, and the drug world record of the Chinese was broken by 14 seconds.

Every games is the cleanest ever until the cheats are picked up, it's absolutely ridiculous.

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

Hasn't he recently opened up his bloods history? I find it crazy we're in a time where to be a successful athlete you have to be accused of doping before you can be celebrated, mo was closely followed by an American guy in his 5000m race does that mean he's also doping to have kept up with him?

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

Trolling? Nah, believe want you want to believe. Ignore? That's entirely up to you. Pitied, whatever.

I go back to my earlier point that there are no miracles. There is an awful lot of implausible stuff going on in athletics, like the women's 10k where four of the fastest five times ever were run, and the drug world record of the Chinese was broken by 14 seconds.

Every games is the cleanest ever until the cheats are picked up, it's absolutely ridiculous.

I think in that race the majority of the women ran at least a PB, normally in a race the idea is to win therefore keep up...or try to keep up in this case with the person in the lead if that person is breaking world records you can almost guarantee the rest will have ran quicker than normal surely.

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar

Sorry, wasn't directed at you. It's reasonable to question the extent to which doping has taken place. Where it becomes tiresome is when other posters, convinced of their own infallibility, repeatedly cast accusations against Farah (& Radcliffe too) without any hard evidence. And then when challenged have little more to offer beyond personal insult.

First Team Breakthrough
    I think in that race the majority of the women ran at least a PB, normally in a race the idea is to win therefore keep up...or try to keep up in this case with the person in the lead if that person is breaking world records you can almost guarantee the rest will have ran quicker than normal surely.

The first 13 runners ran personal bests. Maybe it was a quick track, but the evidence of the other races suggests it's not that. Normally you need pacemakers to get that kind of record too. I think you should always go with the evidence of your own eyes, and I seen a miracle. I don't believe in miracles.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs Class View Post
    Sorry, wasn't directed at you. It's reasonable to question the extent to which doping has taken place. Where it becomes tiresome is when other posters, convinced of their own infallibility, repeatedly cast accusations against Farah (& Radcliffe too) without any hard evidence. And then when challenged have little more to offer beyond personal insult.
    Fair enough :)