hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Orange Walk

Orange Walk

Just for fun
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Log in to remove the advert

someones been browsing pinterest, i love some of the art that folk do with food on there

That's tasty!

Do you's get them in Edinburgh, outta curiosity?

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelTheCelt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We do. Not that many though.

United we stand here....

Yes. Horrible things!

The Cowgate for some reason and they had a massive one at the meadows a couple of years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    We do. Not that many though.
    I'm genuinely surprised at that, thought that was exclusively a Glasgow and Ayrshire thing in Scotland. Say it every single year and so does everyone else but I really do not understand why they are allowed to march through the town centre and disrupt absolutely effing everything and leave the place in a complete mess. We had that Orange pride day thing or whatever it was called in Glasgow two years ago I think? and it was in Georges Square. Wonder what all the foreigners think of this, effing mental.

@hibs.net private member Leith Green's Avatar
    Makes me sick watching them trying to ram their outdated views on a society that couldnt give a **** about any of it. Why on earth they are allowed to come from other parts of the united kingdom , to intimidate local people who find them disgusting is strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Leith Green View Post
    Makes me sick watching them trying to ram their outdated views on a society that couldnt give a **** about any of it. Why on earth they are allowed to come from other parts of the united kingdom , to intimidate local people who find them disgusting is strange.
    They deliberately march down areas that are very much in opposition to what they are marching about and its all done to antagonise. Tin hat on here I'll probably get a bit of a slating for this, but I know Hibees like to refer to Celtic and The Rangers fans as two cheeks of the same arse or the Bigot sisters. Maybe we sing things that should maybe be left out of a football ground though its hardly what you'd say is sectarian in comparison with what that lot sing about. I do resent our association with that lot, every single Rangers fan I know who says aye I don't bother with any of that always show their true colours when they have had a few drinks or its a Old Firm game (rip). There was a reason when you were a wee boy and your mum and dad wouldn't let you out the door with a Celtic jersey on.

Tin hat firmly on!

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    I think they are a pathetic lot and laugh when I see them stomping along like a bunch of erse holes.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    I think they are a pathetic lot and laugh when I see them stomping along like a bunch of erse holes.
    Big ones in Liverpool too aren't there?

@hibs.net private member Leith Green's Avatar
    The funny thing is that to everyone outside the weirdo communities that spawned them, they look just like what they are..

Fully grown men playing kids instruments whilst wearing the most hideous outfits one could imagine. If they actually had any sort of half decent lives then they would cringe with embarrassment.

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leith Green View Post
    The funny thing is that to everyone outside the weirdo communities that spawned them, they look just like what they are..

Fully grown men playing kids instruments whilst wearing the most hideous outfits one could imagine. If they actually had any sort of half decent lives then they would cringe with embarrassment.
    Sadly they have a disturbing level of influence in Northern Ireland. Mostly because of the polarised political/religious situation here but still it's quite frightening to witness. Otherwise sane balanced individuals defending the orange order as "respectable men keeping their traditional culture alive" and "an organisation that performs a vital function in rural communities".

Aye those rural communities would be totally ****ed right enough without those respectable gentlemen and their flutes and bowler hats. ****s.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Big ones in Liverpool too aren't there?
    Don't really know as have lived in Edinburgh for the last 25 years. Either way Edinburgh,Liverpool or wherever else I may see them my feelings remain the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Don't really know as have lived in Edinburgh for the last 25 years. Either way Edinburgh,Liverpool or wherever else I may see them my feelings remain the same.
    Ah fair enough, wasn't having a go at Liverpool (the city) incase it came across like that. I just remember my Da saying theres also a big one down there. That was when he was telling me about the joys of sectarianism in Scotland and particularly the west of Scotland.

Ah fair enough, wasn't having a go at Liverpool (the city) incase it came across like that. I just remember my Da saying theres also a big one down there. That was when he was telling me about the joys of sectarianism in Scotland and particularly the west of Scotland.
    We get them in Stirling every year idiots the lot of them

It the hangers on that get me dress up in all their hun gear and walk along side it cheering them on wtf?

Paranoid erseholes who should should just go to the kirk to express their religious freedom if they feel that strongly about it.

That's not what it's about though and as our very own Doddie once said why should they be inflicted upon him and the decent people who attend his church on a Sunday.

Plenty James Connolly walks here and naebody bats an eyelid about that.

It's all part of the great West of Scotland tradition of offending the other lot.

Quote Originally Posted by ColinNish View Post
    It's an open forum (for Hibbies!). Feel free to start one if you feel strongly enough about it.

Note. I've never been on an Orange Walk or a James Connolly Walk and unlikely to ever be persuaded either way.

To be fair I'm just not keen on walking. 10,000 steps a day is more an aberration than a target.
    Space to let

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Paranoid erseholes who should should just go to the kirk to express their religious freedom if they feel that strongly about it.

That's not what it's about though and as our very own Doddie once said why should they be inflicted upon him and the decent people who attend his church on a Sunday.
    I used to see these types at the church I used to attend as a child, once a year on Remembrance Sunday when they used to belt out God Save The Queen with gusto and then I never saw them again for another 12 months.

They're no Christians.

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    I remember as a wee laddie visiting my grandparents in Girvan, was probably 8/9 years old, and was taken along the street to watch the orange walk go by the end of the road. I'd never seen one before and had no idea at the time what it meant. What I've only come to realise lately is I remember my grandad getting all dressed up in a suit and bowler hat for it and now feeling a bit shocked that he obviously had sympathies or at least a leaning or tendency towards that mindset and felt the need to express his support. Always thought my family were pretty neutral on all things political or religious.
    Later found out he was also in the masons. Each to there own only positive thing I can say about it he kept himself to himself and didn't force his views on anyone.

They deliberately march down areas that are very much in opposition to what they are marching about and its all done to antagonise. Tin hat on here I'll probably get a bit of a slating for this, but I know Hibees like to refer to Celtic and The Rangers fans as two cheeks of the same arse or the Bigot sisters. Maybe we sing things that should maybe be left out of a football ground though its hardly what you'd say is sectarian in comparison with what that lot sing about. I do resent our association with that lot, every single Rangers fan I know who says aye I don't bother with any of that always show their true colours when they have had a few drinks or its a Old Firm game (rip). There was a reason when you were a wee boy and your mum and dad wouldn't let you out the door with a Celtic jersey on.

Tin hat firmly on!
    MAYBE you sing things that should MAYBE be left out of a football stadium?

I wouldn't say there's any maybe about it.

Perhaps Celtic fans don't sing songs that are as blatantly anti-Protestant as the anti-Catholic songs that routinely come out of the stands at Ibrox but the songs your supporters sing are just as divisive, distasteful and downright objectionable as the songs from your "other cheek".

Your club is happy to lap up and play its part in creating a divide that is a constant blight on Scottish society. The songs sung every week about the IRA and The Troubles in Ireland have no place anywhere in the 21st century, never mind in a football stadium where people are supposed to be united in support of their team, regardless of political or religious affiliations.

That is why people refer to you both as two cheeks of the same arse and I have to say I wholeheartedly agree with that assessment.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post

Perhaps Celtic fans don't sing songs that are as blatantly anti-Protestant as the anti-Catholic songs that routinely come out of the stands at Ibrox but the songs your supporters sing are just as divisive, distasteful and downright objectionable as the songs from your "other cheek".

Your club is happy to lap up and play its part in creating a divide that is a constant blight on Scottish society. The songs sung every week about the IRA and The Troubles in Ireland have no place anywhere in the 21st century, never mind in a football stadium where people are supposed to be united in support of their team, regardless of political or religious affiliations.

That is why people refer to you both as two cheeks of the same arse and I have to say I wholeheartedly agree with that assessment.
    Good post. 👏👏👏

@hibs.net private member ACLeith's Avatar
    I used to see these types at the church I used to attend as a child, once a year on Remembrance Sunday when they used to belt out God Save The Queen with gusto and then I never saw them again for another 12 months.

They're no Christians.
    1980s I got caught in an orange parade in Leith Walk in my car. Kids of around 14-15 years old drinking Buckie and wine out the bottle at 10:30 underneath a banner that said "Glory and honour to our Lord Jesus Christ".

I only wish I'd had my camera with me,the picture would have caught the hypocrisy of that vile organisation.

Quote Originally Posted by ACLeith View Post
    1980s I got caught in an orange parade in Leith Walk in my car. Kids of around 14-15 years old drinking Buckie and wine out the bottle at 10:30 underneath a banner that said "Glory and honour to our Lord Jesus Christ".

I only wish I'd had my camera with me,the picture would have caught the hypocrisy of that vile organisation.
    My Granny used to love telling me about how her Granny used to live on Leith walk. When they used to parade up she used to open her window and empty the pocket of her apron, which was full of horse *****, on top of them whilst calling them 'orange *******s'.

Not very PC but the image of a wee old lad giving it tight to them always made me laugh.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Can't be arsed with both sides marching at their time of year. Both sides as bad as the other one going on about the so called glorious 12th and the other about ira terrorists.if course all in my honest opinion

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    I've seen an apple crumble but I've never seen an orange walk.
    Sheltered upbringing

Quote Originally Posted by ColinNish View Post
    Are there 'plenty'?

I thought it was an annual thing and the authorities cancelled, or tried to cancel, last years.

I remember the very early versions of these as a teenager when they went along Niddrie Mains Road. Time flies!

Can't say I disagree with what you have said. Myself I don't sing those songs however I know exactly what they are about and although there is no anti-protestant sentiment in them, it is outdated and has no part of modern day society I AGREE fully. However all of my fellow Celtic supporting friends have no interest in it either but I have many Rangers supporting friends that are fully invested in all that carry on so that always clouds my judgement when trying to form an unbiased opinion, perhaps you can forgive my bias on that part?

To be fully honest with you mate, all of it the sectarianism the hatred from both sides because of something that is now ancient history leaves me feeling disillusioned with it all. I want to be able to support Celtic and talk about Celtic without someone having a preconceived notion that I support the IRA and "the cause" or that I'm a devout catholic (I'm atheist). I know there is many Celtic fans who would think because I feel at all like that it makes me less of a Celtic fan than them, maybe I am? I do find myself losing interest these days.