hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

hibs and lack of media coverage

Yesterday we had a crowd bigger than the whole of the premier league combined excluding Celtic yet we seem to get little or no coverage in Scottish media. Why?

sportsound yesterday on way to ground never mentioned hibs game for the 40 minutes I listened
    after the game celtic celtic on radio and then Neil Lennon cause they couldn't get Derek McInnes
    today's papers have sparse coverage with Hamilton Accies game getting reports with an attendance of 1,600
    TV highlights tonight will not include hibs

With 14,500 at the game yesterday would papers and media not generate more income if they covered us?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Coaching Staff The Green Goblin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by andyf5 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yesterday we had a crowd bigger than the whole of the premier league combined excluding Celtic yet we seem to get little or no coverage in Scottish media. Why?

sportsound yesterday on way to ground never mentioned hibs game for the 40 minutes I listened
    after the game celtic celtic on radio and then Neil Lennon cause they couldn't get Derek McInnes
    today's papers have sparse coverage with Hamilton Accies game getting reports with an attendance of 1,600

With 14,500 at the game yesterday would papers and media not generate more income if they covered us?
    Official attendance was announced as over 15k. (15500-ish?)

i think we just need to focus on ourselves tbh and get promotion, whether or not the media give us attention. There was another thread recently which argued that with no huns or diet huns in the championship, the media (sportscene at least) weren't interested.

However, wasn't Lennon on Sportsound recently? And BBC mw radio covered our away game in Denmark and not the yams' game, so it's not like we have been completely ignored.

but if your point is that we should be getting more credit for our high attendances, then I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by The Green Goblin View Post
    Official attendance was announced as over 15k. (15500-ish?)
    http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/6751 give attendance as 14,508

Quote Originally Posted by The Green Goblin View Post

but if your point is that we should be getting more credit for our high attendances, then I agree.
    yes

Left by mutual consent!

We are in the 2nd tier of Scottish football, they cover the top league first. We get more coverage than all the rest of the championship clubs combined, there is no conspiracy honest

I personally think it's a good thing there are no tv cameras etc as it encourages people along, it also means we are playing every Sat at 3 pm

i think that we get more than our fair share of coverage - nevertheless I don't think we can complain about it until we're in the SPL. Let's hope they have loads to talk about this time next year.

Media coverage in the Scottish top tier boosts the zombie brained mutants who buy into the OF circus and cripples everybody else.

Don't need it. Get ample and better coverage from the club, Hibs sites and social media than the dying press or TV companies.

Left by mutual consent!
    Would rather they ignored us and we ignore them as we go about our business.

Quote Originally Posted by High-On-Hibs View Post
    Would rather they ignored us and we ignore them as we go about our business.
    I agree. Happy just to be left to get on with it without added media pressures.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    When Man City were relegated to the 3rd tier they were getting home attendances of over 30,000. Didn't bring the TV either. It's noteworthy but not much else. I'm already enjoying the same KO times for most of the season.

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Don't worry. When the SFA get round to hammering us for winning the cup we'll get a weeks front page coverage in the Record.

Testimonial Due Billychaotic182's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Billy Chaotic PSN ID: BillyChaotic
    I have Hibs TV and listen to Scottish football podcasts like The Terrace and Monday night Fitba, they cover hibs and other games in a much more entertaining way. I will watch sportscene and listen to sportsound because i like scottish football and like knowing the ins and out with it comes to it, but for my hibs media the others that i mentioned do a great job at covering us that i don't need the bbc! The media always like to play on the whole hibs'd it thing so i'm glad they are ignoring us. Don't need the likes off Allan Preston and Chick Young putting us down.

Testimonial Due Billychaotic182's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Billy Chaotic PSN ID: BillyChaotic
    Also if it means 3pm kick offs on a Saturday each week they can stay away!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Billychaotic182 View Post
    Also if it means 3pm kick offs on a Saturday each week they can stay away!!!
    I'll drink to that

Left by mutual consent!
    I fulfil all my needs with Xham... oops. Hibs.net. Everything you need for all things Hibs, is right here on this site. Who cares what some fat Hun journo with an agenda thinks about us?

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    Don't worry. When the SFA get round to hammering us for winning the cup we'll get a weeks front page coverage in the Record.
    More than a week if they dont hammer us.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by mim View Post
    I'll drink to that
    You'll drink to anything

Quote Originally Posted by ajf View Post
    You'll drink to anything
    Steady on, bro

@hibs.net private member renato's Avatar
    Richard Gordon's very quick to praise "another fantastic crowd from tiny" every second week, I presume we got the same treatment this Saturday, following his astonishment at our 16k+ for the previous game?

@hibs.net private member CraigHibee's Avatar
    The lack of media coverage imo is down to the rangers being in the premiership now, there is no longer a big interest in the championship due to this, it's good that the likes of sky are reporting us though

Good. Most of the media have never really given us much good coverage anyway (always felt we are the Irish club the media are "allowed" to treat hostile)

We can go about our business quietly. We've got a unique togetherness a lot of other clubs don't. We'll be back next year and we'll make one helluva noise

Keep building the club like this and they will soon have to take notice

First Team Breakthrough
    I don't care, we are building a real community based club that will not need to rely on the BBC or mainstream media generally.

@hibs.net private member hibees 7062's Avatar
    BBC reporter said there was a magnificent crowd at Tannadice . 7000

When we got coverage folk complained ('anti-hibs' blah, blah...) and now that there's no coverage...folk complain!

Other than the match updates being a bit basic I much prefer things as they are now.

@hibs.net private member
    Only thing I would argue is with the excitement of the championship over the last few years, the fact they are bigger Scottish teams in the league such as ourselves, United and even the likes of Falkirk, Dunfermline and Raith, that sportscene should have a championship round up showing the goals.

Quote Originally Posted by bookert View Post
    I don't care, we are building a real community based club that will not need to rely on the BBC or mainstream media generally.

Yup

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bookert View Post
    They twist the truth to suit their own ends so the least they say about us the better.
    We'll still be around when a few of them are with the dodos.

Its always good for a club to get media coverage and the lack of it is never a good thing. It was always going to be the case that media coverage dropped off as soon as Sevco got promotion.

But the one thing that has to be looked at by the blazers is the set up of the league system, even if Hibs do win the league I would still like to see the SPFL get the finger out and look at a 14 or 16 team top division.
    14 would seem ideal with a 6 / 8 split, which there is nothing wrong with if it means that teams are playing each other home and away on an equal basis. 26 games, 13 home, 13 away before the split and then each team plays home and away after the split giving bottom 8 teams 40 games and top 6 teams 36 games.

Season tickets could be sold on the basis of 18 home games and if you happen to finish in the bottom 8 and end up playing 20 home games your ST holders get 2 games for free

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    The Herald reporting that the police say there could have been deaths if they had had enough officers to stop the field invasion. Nice hypothetical diversion from the fact that a lot of them were prematurely on their way to Ibrox.
    Also, the Herald finds it necessary to reiterate that 'it was reported that 6 players were assaulted and two needed treatment.' I thought that 'report' has been proved wrong?
    If so, why the need to continue with the falsities?
    The Herald is just as bad as the DR.
    Last edited by snooky; 29-08-2016 at 02:58 PM.

@hibs.net private member malcolm's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/...h-championship

BBC Championship page that may reflect someone's idea of priority in BBC Glasgow. On the UK football page in general Scottish football comes after ladies and African football