hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member
    Was worried when he wasn't in the squad but thought Fyvie stepped up and controlled the midfield in his absence

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by #FromTheCapital View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He'd be playing at a higher level than hibs if he wasn't so injury prone. I think we just need to accept that and enjoy the occasions when he is fit because he's a class act.
    Pretty much this also..

You would think we were spending £90k a week on Andy Carroll.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    Things are going good so of course .net throws up a gem of a thread like this for us to marvel at.

Dylan is a fantastic footballer, even if he plays half the games he is worth having around, his impact is plain to see for anyone that has ever watched football.

I can understand being frustrated that he doesn't play every game but to suggest we just chuck him away like piece of rubbish is utter nonsense, if you never had 8000 posts i would assume you were a jambo.

First Team Regular Highland_Hibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Amusing Munch PSN ID: Amusing_Munch
    As I stated in another thread we are blessed with class right across our midfield right now, anyone can come in and do a job. Dylan is a much valued part of our team and it would be a terrible decision to let him go. BTW is there even confirmation he was out injured? Seems a bizarre question to ask but I haven't seen anything to say he is. Might just have been a precaution if he had a strain of some kind?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    I think you've misread Wiki here Mibbes, Dylan has played 39 league games for Hibs in the last 2 seasons plus 17 in various cups. Even at 56 games over 2 seasons is worth the wage for a player of his influence, yes we only get around half a season out of him but is that not what you have a squad for.
    I'm a big fan of Dylan's but based on those stats he's missed around half our league games over the past 2 years and it's questionable how many of those he's played at 100% fitness. I recall him having to come of numerous times early and/or playing with a niggle. Lets hope yesterday was precautionary as a fully fit Mcgeouch is a very valuable asset!

Hopefully we can rest him till the 17th which is a good 3 weeks. We will need him in the tighter games so no issues with resting players for games like yesterday.

Stubbs didn't have that luxury and Lennons additions have helped that.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Here's hoping Dylan manages to play more often than half a season over the course of this season. His value when on the field is undoubted by anyone.

However, I would be surprised if we offered a new contract if the current pattern continues. Assuming he is one of the highest earners at the club, then he is a half season luxury we can't afford.

For those saying he would be somehwere else if he wasn't injury prone etc, maybe the case but the facts are the facts and if his current pattern continues then I would doubt he will get many takers in the likes of the English Championship.

Chronic conditions tend to be kept quiet by clubs, I do fear Dylan is a guy who has that kind of problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    He's played in sixty-odd games for us in the last two seasons.

There's no denying he picks up injuries and there's also no denying that the way he plays makes him probably the most fouled player we have.

Nevertheless, the injury thing is at risk of becoming overstated and I fear the perception is getting in the way of the facts. If you are averaging thirty appearances a season, then you're not exactly sitting in the stand.

No player is irreplaceable but Dylan is the heartbeat of the team - on his game, he brings everyone else in and allows us to be our best.
    Excellent post.

There's a distinct lack of actual debate on here right now with witty retorts like "That's sh**te" and no attempt to argue the point at hand.
    Refreshing to see a calmly put difference of opinion with some actual facts in it :)

Quote Originally Posted by Salt N Sauzee View Post
    Delete your account and never come back.
    Playing the man and not the ball there.
    Far too much of that on here.

He's entitled to an opinion so why not tell him why you think it's wrong?

For what it's worth I agree with what I assume your position is: it would be a bad decision to move him on - McGeogh is a class player and his time injured is not as bad as folk maybe perceive.

That said, it's annoyingly regular time out with a few games here and a few there and it stops him putting together a run in the team which is disruptive not just to the player but the squad itself - we don't want a replacement who is an obvious lower level understudy but it's hard to imagine any good quality replacement responding well to yo-yoing in and out of the starting XI due to McGeogh's little niggles.

Arguments boths sides but we badly need to get beyond the idea on here that "Shut up, you know nothing about football" is a reasonable comeback.

@hibs.net private member
    He's played in 39 league games in 2 seasons, some as a sub and some not completed. When he is fit and playing he links the play up brilliantly but the point I'm making is there better out there for his wage who could play more than 50% of the league matches. Previously he played 8 league games at Coventry and 20 games for Celtic's 1st team. So in his career he's only played 67 league games since 2011.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    If it wasn't for his injuries and he could play 90% of the games in a season he'd still be at Celtic.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    If it wasn't for his injuries and he could play 90% of the games in a season he'd still be at Celtic.
    You're correct. In another post my gut reaction was that, great player that he is, he was a bit of a liability. However, reading this thread and given that the club and the player himself realise and accept that his appearances will be restricted over the piece, l'm comfortable with it.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    No doubt that DM is a bit of real quality but like the rest of the players he has to earn his place. I would hesitate changing a winning team based on his fitness and availability.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    Why would I do that? Really my opinion is just that but yours is what? Try to bully people of a fans forum for having an opinion. You not like what I've posted but using your style of debate is anyone who differs from you must never post again.
    Well said. I also disagree with what you originally said, but you are allowed an opinion.

56 appearances in the last two seasons is hardly stats of a player who rarely plays.

This being a player who is arguably our most talented and effective. Certainly has similar effectiveness on games as McGinn.

In my opinion he has been unlucky with groin injury last season and now has hamstring injury. But reality is none of his injuries should be of serious concern like a major knee problem.

Hope if he reads this thread he reads the vast majority of posts that are very supportive.

Could you imagine this place IF Lennon did free McGeouch?! Carnage!!

I wouldn't let him go I think that would be very stupid if I'm honest. DM is a game changer and even if he's half fit he can still bring a lot to the table.

It's not even up for debate 50 odd appearances in last 2 seasons and he is the most talented player in squad...end of discussion for me tbh

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Promising Youngster
    It can be really frustrating to have Dylan starring one week, then nowhere to be seen the next but there's no way I'd be letting him go. If managing his injuries means missing every third or forth game, or limiting his minutes to 65/70 or whatever, then I'm happy enough with that because of the quality he brings when he plays. I think it was one of the very few things Stubbs didn't quite get right; he'd bring Dylan back in, make him complete the full 90 mins, then start him again 3 or 4 days later and, surprise surprise, he'd have to come off injured again. Dylan is a top class player and even only playing 2/3s of our games he'll make a big contribution to our campaign.

My issue isn't that he misses games, it was more that he goes off after breaking down in so many games. I felt that Stubbs rushed him back too often which probably didn't help.

Hopefully with the options we have lennon can manage DM through a full season and he can have maximum impact when needed. He's a real talent.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

McGeouch isn't injury prone.He has a chronic condition that can lead to different strains.The big problem is the club can carry him being on and off in this league but next season it will be difficult as a more settled team will be needed.

Can't believe this is even being discussed!

Quote Originally Posted by 3pm View Post
    Why not?

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Why not?
    You think there is merit in releasing or selling, arguably, our best player?

You think there is merit in releasing or selling, arguably, our best player?
    He's not our best player but apart from that I see nothing wrong in discussing the fact that he has a deep rooted injury problem.Tha's what I'm talking about-not whether he should be sold.All players in Scotland have their price.There were plenty on here happy to see the club take the money offered for Cummings.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Ridiculous comment. The continuing injury issues of one of our best and presumably best paid player is as worthy of discussion as any other topic.

If Dylan does have a chronic issue then contract renewal will be a factor. Until then here's hoping we manage it properly and get the most out of him. He's some player and a tremendous asset to the team when on the field.

I don't believe rough treatment from the opposition is a factor though, it is much more likely to be the effect of Oestitis Pubis and the strain it causes ( from memory, it's a groin issue that he suffers from). This injury effectively ended my own amateur football career and I know how troublesome it can be. Sore and stops you training, can't run at 100% when you do play.

I sometimes think people don't grasp the point of forums. As long as someone has a point or argument and doesn't abuse others, then surely we can have discussions about any point. If not, might as well close all forums

So frustrating having such a good player that just cannot for the life of him seem to stay fit for any decent period of time. Saying that, I bet Dylan is just as frustrated as anyone not being able to get a decent run of games together. Really feel for the guy. We really missed when him and Fyvie were out, thankfully we have Fyvie back now.

Think its going to be the same as last season with him, continuously in and out of the team through injury. I still wouldn't be looking to off load him though. One of the best players at the club.

Quote Originally Posted by Finn2015 View Post
    I sometimes think people don't grasp the point of forums.
    Ha Ha, good one!

First Team Regular Salt N Sauzee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    Why would I do that? Really my opinion is just that but yours is what? Try to bully people of a fans forum for having an opinion. You not like what I've posted but using your style of debate is anyone who differs from you must never post again.
    Haha hardly bullying mate. I actually thought you were trolling initially. Just strongly disagree with punting arguably one of our best players because he's been unfortunate with injuries. Think it's wrong whenever fans turn on players for things like that.