hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar

Just how good could John McGinn turn out to be?

He's only 21, he's part of an elite group of players to lift the Scottish Cup with Hibs, he's been player of the season, he's made his international debut and been MOTM, he's been selected again by Strachan - how good could he be?

IMO he's far better than Ryan Gauld when he signed for Lisbon - the boy is a £5m player. Unlimited potential and if he's guided correctly he could go on to play in any premier league in Europe, quite easily, in three years time.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's only 21, he's part of an elite group of players to lift the Scottish Cup with Hibs, he's been player of the season, he's made his international debut and been MOTM, he's been selected again by Strachan - how good could he be?

IMO he's far better than Ryan Gauld when he signed for Lisbon - the boy is a £5m player. Unlimited potential and if he's guided correctly he could go on to play in any premier league in Europe, quite easily, in three years time.
    You forgot to add that he has a League cup winners with St Mirren and a runners up medal with us .... that's two winners medals and a runner up medal and he hasn't even kicked a ball for one of the old firm. If he goes on at this rate he will be the most decorated non OF player since the 1980s. If we win the league and he continues to progress and becomes a top player in the Premiership he could well be a 5 million player.

Left by mutual consent!
    He's so good that some day Pele will admit to an illegitmate child conceived in the West of Scotland yesteryear.

@hibs.net private member

I'm not going to argue that McGinn is a better player than Gauld, he may well be but I'm not 100% as I haven't seen Gauld in a while, but to say he is "far" better is a stretch IMO.

McGinns potential is huge tho and I can see him becoming Scotland captain in a few years.

@hibs.net private member
    Gauld and McGinn are hard to compare - they are quite different players ...Gauld is more like Scott Allan.

It seems that McGinn grows his performance each year. He looks like one of those who will get better each time he steps up to play against better players ...should go far

JMcG is a good young player who'll have a decent career with Celtic or a lower ranked EPL club. Reminds me a lot of Pat McGinlay at this stage of his career.

Nameless
    Left by mutual consent!
    I think, with the obscene riches now on offer to any player in the EPL, he will head south in a few years. A WBA or Stoke to start with, but potentially good enough to land a move to a team like Everton or spurs.

First Team Breakthrough

Celtic will be waiting

Just as Celtic gained entry to the champions league I thought immediately with the extra 22 million they will target Mcginn sooner than later. Sevco and Celtic wonder why we don't want them to be successful in Europe as with the money they make they buy our best players.

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar
    The one thing that will stop him becoming a top player is his lack of pace but he will still become a fantastic player and we should enjoy him while he is with us.

It's a difficult one because of the crazy money flying about nowadays.

I hope (along with Cummings) that Mcginn realises that to become a top player,he should establish himself fully at different levels before leaving. He's far too good for the championship but if he stays for another 2 or 3 years that's a lot of first team appearances with us.

Once he's developed with us it's then about finding the right club with the right manager. There's no point rushing off to the first club that offers bit bucks he needs to find a club with principles that will give youth a chance and tries to play football.

In terms of ability he has this in abundance and he also seems to have his head screwed on so I have high hopes for the lad that when he retires, he can look back on his career and say "yep, I made the most of that"

Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    JMcG is a good young player who'll have a decent career with Celtic or a lower ranked EPL club. Reminds me a lot of Pat McGinlay at this stage of his career.
    Thank goodness your not his agent with comments like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringothedog View Post
    The one thing that will stop him becoming a top player is his lack of pace but he will still become a fantastic player and we should enjoy him while he is with us.
    Lack of pace???? Boys a machine

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Enough said View Post
    Lack of pace???? Boys a machine
    He may run for ever but that does not mean he has pace, he is very one paced. That is not a criticism of him as he will progress into a fantastic player with the correct coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenNWhiteArmy View Post
    It's a difficult one because of the crazy money flying about nowadays.

I hope (along with Cummings) that Mcginn realises that to become a top player,he should establish himself fully at different levels before leaving. He's far too good for the championship but if he stays for another 2 or 3 years that's a lot of first team appearances with us.

Once he's developed with us it's then about finding the right club with the right manager. There's no point rushing off to the first club that offers bit bucks he needs to find a club with principles that will give youth a chance and tries to play football.

In terms of ability he has this in abundance and he also seems to have his head screwed on so I have high hopes for the lad that when he retires, he can look back on his career and say "yep, I made the most of that"
    I think he will stay another couple of years ,help us get promoted and then get at least a season in the SPL under his belt. I hope he does what Jason does and signs a contract to ensure we get decent money when he goes. He definitely will go for a lot of money but due to the low standing of our game I doubt it will be over £4m.

First Team Regular Highland_Hibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Amusing Munch PSN ID: Amusing_Munch
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringothedog View Post
    He may run for ever but that does not mean he has pace, he is very one paced. That is not a criticism of him as he will progress into a fantastic player with the correct coaching.
    Zidane and Steven Gerrard made pretty decent careers out of having no pace. We already know John is better than at least one of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of all the young players who have moved South in recent years from our leagues, McGinn is the most established, most gifted and most likely to succeed and a premiership team, probably mid table like a Stoke/West Brom/Newcastle (When they are back up)/Swansea.

Genuinely believe he has more potential than Scott Brown and will be a mainstay in the Scotland set up for years to come. 1 or 2 more seasons with us, he will get a big move!

He reminds me of a young Brown but lets hope he goes south rather than west, I fear Brown wasted himself by staying at Celtic and not testing himself at a higher level, MvGinn has the potential to play for a majority of the EPL teams and with great success, it's really all up to him now.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar

He could turn out to be that good he could be away by Wednesday after a last minute big money bid!!

He can tackle, he can pass, he can run with the ball and beat a man, he can shoot. All round brilliant player love the guy.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    He could turn out to be that good he could be away by Wednesday after a last minute big money bid!!
    A concern of mine as well, him and Jason Cummings.

To lose either would be a blow.

Quite confident it won't happen though.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    All I can say is that if he continues to play like he has been for the last year and a bit then he will go on to great things.

Whoever got him signed up on a 4 year deal is a genius.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    A concern of mine as well, him and Jason Cummings.

To lose either would be a blow.

Quite confident it won't happen though.
    Wouldnt be hugely surprised if the lesser greens came sniffing especially if we are possibly trying to get them to do deals for players the other way.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Wouldnt be hugely surprised if the lesser greens came sniffing especially if we are possibly trying to get them to do deals for players the other way.
    Wouldn't surprise me either. However, with the Champions' League challenge ahead of them, they might hopefully be after more experience

Cant see Celtic coming in for JC or McGinn. They are going to need players that will help them compete in the Champions League and as good players as they are they are not on that level.

Either of them will only go down south likely to a Championship club.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by s.a.m View Post
    Wouldn't surprise me either. However, with the Champions' League challenge ahead of them, they might hopefully be after more experience
    Yep you would assume they would want tried and tested however John may be on a list if they dont get their intended target.

Few things..

McGinn needs to add goals to his play.

I would like to see him dominate games more often. Whenever he's on the ball he is usually quality but for me he is good enough to run the midfield every week. However we do have Fyvie, Dylan and now Shinnie in there also.

Henderson was the same - lack of goals and drifted in and out of games.

You could see its part of development but I believe SJM is good enough to go to the next level (down south) in years to come.

Basically enjoy watching him while we can!

@hibs.net private member
    I think he's a cracking player and will continue to develop but there were lots on here claiming McGeough was a better player than SJM so if SJM worth £5m how much is DM worth?

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    I think he's a cracking player and will continue to develop but there were lots on here claiming McGeough was a better player than SJM so if SJM worth £5m how much is DM worth?
    His value would rise significantly if he could play a full season, teams won't take a chance paying a fee on somebody who misses so many games.

McGeough is a better player IMO but his value is not as high due to his injuries. Technically Dylan is the best player by some distance at the club.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    He's the 2nd best player in the world behind David Gray.

United we stand here....