hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    One thing he does still get involved in is contract talks. I'm not sure if this was public knowledge but any deals Hibs make to a player has to be given the green light by Petrie and he often sits in meetings with players with LD.

For the record much as I don't like him he's obviously helped in bringing in some good players last couple of years so through gritted teeth I'll be giving him credit for that.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Petrie's biggest failing was that through it all, through the building of a magnificent ( though unfinished IMO* ) stadium and the building of a superb training facility, he forgot that the number one priority for making a football club successful was its ability to put bums on seats. I'm not saying that the stadium and training facilities should have been neglected in order to put a team on the park, but there's no doubt that as chairman he didn't fully appreciate the football side of the business. The failure to sign Adam Rooney when we had the chance saved us a couple of hundred thousand pounds and probably cost us a couple of million .... because Rooney may well have saved us from relegation.

The thing that Dempster understands and Petrie didn't was that the business of a football club is 'football' and to be successful it must engage with the supporters in a meaningful and especially non patronising way ... under Dempster I simply cant see us coming up with a cringeworthy ST sales pitch like that stupid camouflage covered, Butcher's troops nonsense of a few years ago. She understands that in the context of Scottish football paying customers dwarf any other source of income and that a balance sheet in the black doesn't constitute success if the crowds are 35% below the potential of the club.

If Petrie deserves credit for anything its the fact that by the looks of it he finally recognised that he needed someone around the boardroom running things who understood football and football fans ...... It was just his good fortune that if the last two years are anything to go by he was lucky enough to have appointed a person who is as good, if not better, than anybody in Britain at the job ........ its only a matter of time until a bigger, richer club makes LD an offer she cant refuse ... I'm surprised it hasn't happened before now to be honest.

* ... The way Easter Road was developed is another sign, to me at least, that football related stuff should be the preserve of people who understand football and the folk who support it. I would never have left ER with such large spaces separating the end stands from the side stands, an enclosed ground is a more intimidating ground and though ER isn't at all bad for atmosphere on its day, it could have been so much more. The good news is that with the corners filled in ( not with seats ) and the roofs of the FF and South extended to meet the side stands it still can be the stadium it should be ...... perhaps if we get 7 million for John McGinn
    Regarding the bit in bold - you've given credit then immediately taken it away. In the same sentence you mention good fortune and lucky when referring to Rod appointing Leeanne. How is it lucky? If he gets pilloried for everything he got wrong, surely he gets full credit for what he got right.

One of the most annoying things about this message board over the years has been the habit of many posters to totally undermine our successes, and put them down to luck - Mowbray was lucky that the Golden Generation came along, Collins was lucky to win the cup as he inherited Mowbray's team, we were lucky to wipe out the debt due to so many good players being brought through the system into the first team at once, etc. etc. - whilst apportioning blame for all of the many things that we as a club have got wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    Regarding the bit in bold - you've given credit then immediately taken it away. In the same sentence you mention good fortune and lucky when referring to Rod appointing Leeanne. How is it lucky? If he gets pilloried for everything he got wrong, surely he gets full credit for what he got right.

One of the most annoying things about this message board over the years has been the habit of many posters to totally undermine our successes, and put them down to luck - Mowbray was lucky that the Golden Generation came along, Collins was lucky to win the cup as he inherited Mowbray's team, we were lucky to wipe out the debt due to so many good players being brought through the system into the first team at once, etc. etc. - whilst apportioning blame for all of the many things that we as a club have got wrong.
    Well Stevie, that wasn't my intention. He clearly saw the work LD did at Motherwell and based his decision on that. But in any business there is always the chance that things wont work out, from that point of view it worked out for Petrie because LD turned out to be everything he ( and we ) would have hoped for ... from that point of view there is always an element of luck. But as you say, Petrie deserves credit for an inspired appointment and I don't have any problem in giving him that.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Well Stevie, that wasn't my intention. He clearly saw the work LD did at Motherwell and based his decision on that. But in any business there is always the chance that things wont work out, from that point of view it worked out for Petrie because LD turned out to be everything he ( and we ) would have hoped for ... from that point of view there is always an element of luck. But as you say, Petrie deserves credit for an inspired appointment and I don't have any problem in giving him that.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post

I'm not sure of the truth of this as I was not involved but did the idea of bringing in Leeann Dempster not come from the 'working together' group who recognised that the club needed a CEO who was not Petrie? I understand he took a bit of persuading on that.
    I think the suggestion from the group was to bring in a CEO 'like' Leeann Dempster, so I suppose some credit must go to him for getting the actual Leeann Dempster.
    Maybe some of the working together people can confirm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Yes. He signed Dempster who signed Stubbs. Our path to winning the SC was a weird one, but Petrie had a significant role to play. Harsh not to give him credit.
    Spot on. I've no issues with the man.
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Not me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nor me.

@hibs.net private member
    Strange time for a thread like this

Should have walked the minute we were relegated. Epytomises the modern-day, failed business man with zero morals and overinflated value of self.

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    For those saying Dempster calls the shots these days it was interesting to me that in the immediate aftermath of the cup win the one that faced the media was Petrie.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    Should have walked the minute we were relegated. Epytomises the modern-day, failed business man with zero morals and overinflated value of self.
    I'm not sure he could be described as a failed business man. Done pretty well for himself I would imagine and trusted sidekick to Sir Tom for many years.

I'm sure walking after relegation would have been much easier for him. If he had there's some chance that the changes, particularly to the bank debt and the share issue, may not have happened or been executed as well.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Well done Rod, you realised what a mess you had and were making, so you went out and brought someone else in who knew what running a football club was all about.

While he remains he will always be the cause of a division within the club and the support.
    Last edited by blackpoolhibs; 25-08-2016 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    I'm not sure he could be described as a failed business man. Done pretty well for himself I would imagine and trusted sidekick to Sir Tom for many years.

I'm sure walking after relegation would have been much easier for him. If he had there's some chance that the changes, particularly to the bank debt and the share issue, may not have happened or been executed as well.
    I wouldn't say a failed business man either. As a football chairmen he's failed massively.

Most times, when things go badly wrong in an organisation, the person responsible at the top gets the sack, or resigns. At a football club, it doesn't go more badly wrong than the club being relegated.

At Hibs, the person ultimately responsible during the club's descent into relegation was Mr Petrie, although many of the players and the two clowns in charge of them at the time must take their share of the blame too.

It's good that Mr Petrie no longer appears to be directly involved in player recruitment and certain other football related matters. This now thankfully seems to be the remit and responsibility of Leeann Dempster, although I would guess that Mr Petrie still has a big say in all matters financial.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by emerald green View Post
    Most times, when things go badly wrong in an organisation, the person responsible at the top gets the sack, or resigns. At a football club, it doesn't go more badly wrong than the club being relegated.

At Hibs, the person ultimately responsible during the club's descent into relegation was Mr Petrie, although many of the players and the two clowns in charge of them at the time must take their share of the blame too.

It's good that Mr Petrie no longer appears to be directly involved in player recruitment and certain other football related matters. This now thankfully seems to be the remit and responsibility of Leeann Dempster, although I would guess that Mr Petrie still has a big say in all matters financial.
    I'm not so sure he does.

He's non-exec. He will contribute to all Board decisions as they affect the finances of the Club, and he is still the "conduit" for STF, but that's it. Day-to-day financial decisions will be LD's and Jamie Marwick's.

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    I'm not so sure he does.

He's non-exec. He will contribute to all Board decisions as they affect the finances of the Club, and he is still the "conduit" for STF, but that's it. Day-to-day financial decisions will be LD's and Jamie Marwick's.
    Fair enough CWG. That's why I put the word guess in italics in my previous post. I simply wasn't sure / didn't know.

@hibs.net private member
    I'm not so sure he does.

The reality is that there are NO material financial decisions that Petrie is not involved in ....

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    The reality is that there are NO material financial decisions that Petrie is not involved in ....
    As a Board member, of course.

But on a day-to-day basis? I'd doubt it.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by emerald green View Post

Actually pretty rare for the Chairman to go in failed businesses. Usually executives. It also depends where the failure was. We haven't been a failed business as such.

@hibs.net private member
    As a Board member, of course.

But on a day-to-day basis? I'd doubt it.
    As the chairman and active representative of the major shareholder , Petrie is active most days on many Hibs related items on a regular basis ... If the implication he is stand off non Exec chair then that's quite different from what happens

Doesn't trouble me , think it is working tbh. But he is not only involved in the big decisions. He has a view on many things and gets involved in a number of operational topics

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Actually pretty rare for the Chairman to go in failed businesses. Usually executives. It also depends where the failure was. We haven't been a failed business as such.
    Agreed. It's usually the CEO who gets the sack in business.

As a business, Hibs haven't failed, but I was referring to the club's failure where it matters - on the pitch - resulting ultimately in relegation. Which was under Rod Petrie's watch, whether one dresses it up as Chairman or CEO.
    Last edited by emerald green; 25-08-2016 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Typo

No. He ought to be gone. His stewardship of the club has been poor overall. The best thing he has done is step back and hire Leeann, but the reality is that she could be cherry picked soon enough and we will be back with RP running things or he could appoint someone in CEO terms who is more like Butcher and less like Tony Mowbray.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    As the chairman and active representative of the major shareholder , Petrie is active most days on many Hibs related items on a regular basis ... If the implication he is stand off non Exec chair then that's quite different from what happens

Doesn't trouble me , think it is working tbh. But he is not only involved in the big decisions. He has a view on many things and gets involved in a number of operational topics
    It sounds like you have a greater insight than most on here as to the Club's workings.

However, if what you say is correct, then he's clearly not "non-executive". That's a bit sneaky of the club, IMO, as that's what they've told us.

First Team Breakthrough
    [QUOTE=Ozyhibby;4801386]3 years and counting in the second tier, 5 years and counting below the mighty Ross County. We have just finished our 6th straight failed league campaign.
    Once there is sustained league success then maybe it would be worth looking at his contribution but while we remain stuck in the championship I would argue that he is still failing.

Not sure it's quite fair to blame him for all our failings for the last 3 years. If you are saying that then surely Leann would have to carry just as much of the can too seeing as how she has been there for 3 years too ? I think that the last 3 years have seen a dramatic upturn in our club in practically all aspects, including on the pitch. A blind man can see we are a vastly improved club and team. To put the failings of the team in the last 3 years on Petrie is harsh. He is there as Sir Tom's eyes and ears , and I am grateful for that. Hibs would be in far greater trouble today if Sir Tom and Petrie were not involved. All about opinions though.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    For those saying Dempster calls the shots these days it was interesting to me that in the immediate aftermath of the cup win the one that faced the media was Petrie.
    ??? You must have been watching Petrie.tv.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    Nope not at all.

LD is the boss. But, at that moment, with a pitch invasion and Der Hun losing it, we needed a calm and measured statement to the media.

Petrie was the perfect man for the occasion. Like I said above, playing to his strengths.

Coaching Staff
    It sounds like you have a greater insight than most on here as to the Club's workings.

However, if what you say is correct, then he's clearly not "non-executive". That's a bit sneaky of the club, IMO, as that's what they've told us.
    Nothing there that suggests he isn't non executive. I know the chairman of our business who is non exec still spends a great deal of his time in the business. Nothing wrong with that if it is helping to provide the required support and challenge to the management.

First Team Regular Highland_Hibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Amusing Munch PSN ID: Amusing_Munch
    The same logic that applies to Petrie being fully responsible for our failures can equally be applied to our successes. Do I think he should have walked when we were relegated? Absolutely. I however find it foolish to hold a grudge over such a period of time if someone has repeatedly shown best interests at heart. We were to be crucified after the Scottish Cup final but Rod stood up and did not allow us to stand responsible for anything other than what really happened. We are moving in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Highland_Hibee View Post
    The same logic that applies to Petrie being fully responsible for our failures can equally be applied to our successes. Do I think he should have walked when we were relegated? Absolutely. I however find it foolish to hold a grudge over such a period of time if someone has repeatedly shown best interests at heart. We were to be crucified after the Scottish Cup final but Rod stood up and did not allow us to stand responsible for anything other than what really happened. We are moving in the right direction.

spot on