hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeJay View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Overall your post is a good one IMO, but then you spoil it with "England" might have been more successful with Best, Law, Giggs, Bale" - this can only apply to a Team GB, surely? None of the players would/could have played for any team called "England" ... GB is not England and England is not GB
    Sorry, I haven't really made myself clear there. I didn't mean that the team would be called England, I meant that down the years England fans especially have mooted how much stronger a side could have been put together were players from other nations involved along with the best English players. The team itself would obviously have to be a Team GB or Team UK. England would almost certainly have the majority of the players in the squad, simply down to the fact they have biggest pool to choose from, but just as most British sports fans get behind competitors representing GB, be that at the Olympics, the Open golf, Wimbledon, Davis Cup etc, I think such a team might be easier to back than many think.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member hibee_nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    Sorry, I haven't really made myself clear there. I didn't mean that the team would be called England, I meant that down the years England fans especially have mooted how much stronger a side could have been put together were players from other nations involved along with the best English players. The team itself would obviously have to be a Team GB or Team UK. England would almost certainly have the majority of the players in the squad, simply down to the fact they have biggest pool to choose from, but just as most British sports fans get behind competitors representing GB, be that at the Olympics, the Open golf, Wimbledon, Davis Cup etc, I think such a team might be easier to back than many think.
    Be a good chance for the huns to wave their UJ flags and sing rule britania i suppose.
    45 AND RISING

Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    Yeah, guessed that, you're spot on there I think - seems strange to support a Team GB and then to say, not the football team ...

Quote Originally Posted by Nakedmanoncrack View Post
    Hibs have proved for far much longer that we are even more miles off the pace...

Of course, the other constituent parts of the UK have been totally ON the pace and we want to jump on their coattails. ..

Let's have a European national team and guarantee winning at least the Euros every singe time..

Or alternatively you are trolling or a British Nationalist pushing your agenda - or a troll.

Indeed !

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
    As long as the Home Nations current status is guaranteed, I wouldn't have a problem. Rugby seemed to manage it without any drama.
    Rugby, or at least the sevens version, appears to be more open minded about a regular nationwide side:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/37191726

Surely time to give this a rest.....?

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Ironically Scotland has a team including GB players who qualify through some very tenuous links like lots of other nations. Time to cut back on the criteria that allows players to pick one nation because they have no chance of being selected for another. I blame Jack Charlton.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
    As long as the Home Nations current status is guaranteed, I wouldn't have a problem. Rugby seemed to manage it without any drama.
    A GB team for the Olympic football would have to qualify for it meaning we would have to have a team GB in competition. This would mean the separate home nations would have to become one.

Not worth it for a competition every 4 years.

And personally, I wouldn't support it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Ironically Scotland has a team including GB players who qualify through some very tenuous links like lots of other nations. Time to cut back on the criteria that allows players to pick one nation because they have no chance of being selected for another. I blame Jack Charlton.
    This. I can understand for some people but sometimes it takes the piss. Players getting in via their gran who have never even seen Scotland is pushing it a bit.