hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Olympics-Boxing

Olympics-Boxing

I've just been watching 2 bouts, both of them were really awful decisions. 1 of them was the Irish boxer, Conlon, who lost the bout, quite wrongly in my opinion. The other was the heavyweight final, where a Russian won it, and that was an even worse decision. The judges who gave those decisions should never be allowed to judge Olympic boxing matches again in my opinion.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Boxing continues to be tainted with awful decisions whether pro or amateur. Disgusting

Conlon didn't hold back in his TV interview with RTE. Declared amateur boxing was corrupt from top to bottom and that he was cheated.

His language was intersting to put it mildly. You could argue it was sour grapes but anyone who watched the fight can see he was spot on. He was cheated.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

An absolute disgrace and he was quite right to be so emotive in his interview with RTE. I don't really follow amateur boxing much but apparently there have been some scoring rule changes and a lot of the judges are screwing things up? Either way it's not a good look for an already suspect organisation. Conlon will go on to have a very decent pro career IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Exile View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    An absolute disgrace and he was quite right to be so emotive in his interview with RTE. I don't really follow amateur boxing much but apparently there have been some scoring rule changes and a lot of the judges are screwing things up? Either way it's not a good look for an already suspect organisation. Conlon will go on to have a very decent pro career IMO.
    Amateur boxing used to be scored with a point for each punch that landed in a 'scoring zone'. Judges had to hit a button within a certain time frame to award a point.

It's been changed now and is scored in roughly the same way as the 10 point system used in pro boxing.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Joe Joyce robbed of a gold. More dubious judging there.