hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stevenson

Stevenson is back to the scapegoat. He was 2nd for a while behind Oxley!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How bad was his attempt at a pass with his right foot. Nowhere near good enough for me, got to sign a left back soon
    Nowhere good enough? 2 Cups, and every Manager has played him...Another scapegoat.........
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

@hibs.net private member
    The most obvious and poor thing about the OP and some of this mad thread is the fact that there were many question marks in yesterday's game...the missed chances, poor finishing from our new striker , Bartley struggling at times, static defending for their goal etc etc. Yet we worked hard and got a victory ....this poster then chooses to blame Stephenson...whilst not as his best, was far from the biggest area for improvement yesterday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    I'm not making him a scapegoat.

Please let us know who we can offer constructive criticism to.

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    I'm not making him a scapegoat.

Please let us know who we can offer constructive criticism to.
    No one is immune from constructive criticism, however Lewis gets singled out every time. It's tiresome, he gives 100% every week, yes he has faults, but the only player to hold both Cups in his locker, should at least cut him some slack......

I can see Lewis having bad games, but I still love him, a true team player who never hides.....Heart of a lion.....

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    Countless Hibernian Managers have seen the merits of Lewis Stevenson and have obviously thought that he is/was worthy of inclusion in the team.

I'll trust their judgement rather than a few of the terracing tams on here most of whom have probably never kicked a ball in their lives.
    Are you really using Butcher, Calderwood, Mixu and Fenlon to back your stance?

Coaching Staff The Green Goblin's Avatar
    How bad was his attempt at a pass with his right foot.
    10+ years service to Hibs. 300+ games. League Cup winner. Scottish Cup winner.

But the post above is your summary of him....

There's folk on the thread defending your right to criticise and have an opinion, and like all posters, you have that right of course, but your comment above is neither of those things. It's just cheap mockery.

I would like to see us sign a left back too, and I didn't think LS had a particularly great game yesterday, like the whole team, but bad game or not, I look at it within the context of everything LS has done for Hibs.

So you go ahead and make your cheap shots at him based on a split second moment in a game he helped us win, and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt given his two cup wins and whole career loyalty to Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by The Green Goblin View Post
    10+ years service to Hibs. 300+ games. League Cup winner. Scottish Cup winner.

But the post above is your summary of him....

There's folk on the thread defending your right to criticise and have an opinion, and like all posters, you have that right of course, but your comment above is neither of those things. It's just cheap mockery.

I would like to see us sign a left back too, and I didn't think LS had a particularly great game yesterday, like the whole team, but bad game or not, I look at it within the context of everything LS has done for Hibs.

So you go ahead and make your cheap shots at him based on a split second moment in a game he helped us win, and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt given his two cup wins and whole career loyalty to Hibs.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldy Foghorn View Post
    No one is immune from constructive criticism, however Lewis gets singled out every time. It's tiresome, he gives 100% every week, yes he has faults, but the only player to hold both Cups in his locker, should at least cut him some slack......

I can see Lewis having bad games, but I still love him, a true team player who never hides.....Heart of a lion.....
    I agree with that and I think he gets slack. Just look at it on here when anyone dares to mention he didn't play that well...

It frustrates me that managers keep asking him to be our attacking threat when it's beyond him.

I agree with that and I think he gets slack. Just look at it on here when anyone dares to mention he didn't play that well...

It frustrates me that managers keep asking him to be our attacking threat when it's beyond him.
    Agree, but that is the Manager's fault not LS.....

@hibs.net private member
    Absolutely.

Absolutely.
    The sooner we sign wide players with pace the better, or use the players we do have at our disposal, like Boyle, Carmichael etc

How bad was his attempt at a pass with his right foot. Nowhere near good enough for me, got to sign a left back soon
    Gonny post on Leicester Citys forum suggesting that they should ditch Vardy as well after his fresh air yesterday.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar

does my head in and it's lucky this great wee character just gets on with doing what he's asked, even if the way he's being asked to play isn't always ideal for him.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

First Team Regular
    Generally a solid player, however, he quite often has the chance to go down the wing and he just comes to a shuddering halt and passes inside.

In a 3-5-2, he needs to get down the line and get crosses in from the byline. If he can't do that then we need someone else.

We had 3 CBs and Bartley playing, we should have just played a winger as the wingback.

Have we ever had a better class of scapegoat? Anyone who thinks Lewis is nowhere near good enough needs their head examined.

Thank you BF !!!
    Post of the thread
    Says it all for me

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    How bad was Cummings trying to strike a ball with his right ( on three occasions)
    Or when he should have shot with his right and then cuts back on his left.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdawg View Post
    Generally a solid player, however, he quite often has the chance to go down the wing and he just comes to a shuddering halt and passes inside.

In a 3-5-2, he needs to get down the line and get crosses in from the byline. If he can't do that then we need someone else.

We had 3 CBs and Bartley playing, we should have just played a winger as the wingback.
    Ah another aspiring manager
    Good luck

Deary deary me......

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Have we ever had a better class of scapegoat? Anyone who thinks Lewis is nowhere near good enough needs their head examined.
    What exactly is he the scapegoat for?

Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post
    Some folk are not happy unless they're whining about something.

Stupid and crap thread - Stevenson is not all things to all men - if he had everything in his locker he would have been nicked off us years ago. BUT equally if he didn't bring so much to the table he would never have made 300 appearances, won two cup medals and been picked regularly and unceasingly by god knows how many managers.

Stevenson is a very tidy footballer - he RARELY puts a foot wrong and works like a trojan for the team - he's grown over the years into a CLASS player IMO and is deservedly one of the first names on the team sheet week after week. His forward play used to be a weakness owing to lack of confidence but he's got better at that as well. The criticism of Lewis in this thread is churlish and unwarranted - wind yer neck in OP.
    This!

Even before I'd starting reading this thread I was ready to post something similar but you've saved me the effort of pointing out the bleeding obvious.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jdships View Post
    Ah another aspiring manager
    Good luck
    Point is that the guys right.

The 352 formation our manager seems to want to play means that there is an enormous amount of space on either flank. This is defensively demanding for the wing backs and also places a lot of attacking responsbility on them. Lewis is a lionhearted man, no questions, but he's not got the attributes to provide all that the role demands.

Lennon needs to consider personnel and perhaps make the tactics suit what we have, rather set out with aspirations that are unmeetable from the guys concerned. Also , All game long I found the wing backs were not supported by the guys inside them, so there is also serious room for imorovement from the other midfielders too.

Ask yourself this, do we really need three centre halfs and a defensive central midfielder against most of the teams we face in this league?

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    Point is that the guys right.

The 352 formation our manager seems to want to play means that there is an enormous amount of space on either flank. This is defensively demanding for the wing backs and also places a lot of attacking responsbility on them. Lewis is a lionhearted man, no questions, but he's not got the attributes to provide all that the role demands.

Lennon needs to consider personnel and perhaps make the tactics suit what we have, rather set out with aspirations that are unmeetable from the guys concerned. Also , All game long I found the wing backs were not supported by the guys inside them, so there is also serious room for imorovement from the other midfielders too.

Ask yourself this, do we really need three centre halfs and a defensive central midfielder against most of the teams we face in this league?
    As usual all down to opinions which we are all entitled to express
    I wish just one of these experts would " grasp the nettle " and have a go at managing a football team
    I played "Pro" for a while and one of the fun thongs was to read the comments and critcisms by Pundits and Fans virtually none of whom had done more than kick a ball about a public park
    Express opinions by all means but just think a bit before posting

Testimonial Due
    Whenever anyone slags Lewis off, if they're challenged on it they immediately revert to "Amn't I allowed an opinion?", "How is it trolling?", "Luckily folk who actually go to games agree with me" and other overly defensive nonsense.

Yet one poster on this thread suggested he was the best left back in Scotland, and was immediately told his acceptance of Stevenson "shows how far we have fallen", and that his opinion was "ridiculous".

Isn't it a little bit sad that we attack anyone who has a positive opinion of our players, while we're expected to accept people relentlessly slating them because "I'm allowed an opinion"?

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    As I have stated earlier in this thread I like Lewis but some people are way over the top in their defence of him.

Anybody who dares criticise him on a Saturday night or Sunday morning gets slaughtered by mainly the same guys who simply can't see past him.

IMO he has no divine right to avoid criticism any more or any less than other Hibs players.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    As I have stated earlier in this thread I like Lewis but some people are way over the top in their defence of him.

Anybody who dares criticise him on a Saturday night or Sunday morning gets slaughtered by mainly the same guys who simply can't see past him.

IMO he has no divine right to avoid criticism any more or any less than other Hibs players.
    I think its more the continual having a go at him that annoys folk, he was no worse than the rest of our defence yesterday, fontaine and hanlon were done big time for dunfermlines goal but we dont see post after post having a go at them

Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post

I like Lewis and defend him when I see the criticism is way ott, I will also say when he's had a bad day, not his best yesterday but definitely not the worst, especially to warrant 2 threads about him.

Still to see a thread started about Holt who was by far the worst player for Hibs yesterday, hopefully that was a one off but his inability to jump and the open goal misses were very poor indeed but still no thread, lets have a go at wee Lewis it's easier eh!

What exactly is he the scapegoat for?
    Good question. Appears to be for an average team performance yesterday. No one aside from McGinn played great yesterday, no idea why Lewis is being singled out.

How can Lewis be nowhere near good enough when he was brilliant in the cup final? He is good enough to win cups but not for this division?

Lewis isn't perfect but he is good enough for this Hibs team and has proved it many times.