This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We weren't lucky this time.

No no jokes please.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    Two wins is two wins.

We will turn the style on as we settle in, I don't doubt that. We will also strengthen the squad with players who our opponents couldn't attract.

When we were seeking promotion in 98-99 we started slowly - four points from the first nine, eight from the first eighteen.

We are six from six against two of the better teams in this league. I'm comfortable with that.
    When it's the same players as last year with the same problems as last year I don't really see where you're confidence is coming from.

3 points is great but we found out last year that if you consistently struggle to put teams away and keep scrapping narrow wins its inevitable we'll drop points. We should, and need to be putting these teams away and start gubbing them by 3 and 4, if we do that teams might start to defend nervously against us.

Hopefully a couple of new signings might make a difference and it's unlikely any team will run away with the league like has happened the last couple of years so I'm not saying it's all doom and gloom, I am a little concerned though.

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby

No luck in the stats. We were good enough because we won.

We're never happy. If it's a choice of results or performance, for this season I choose results. The performance will come, I'm sure of it

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    One of our goals being a howler of an og says otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    I don't think we were lucky but we got away with it. The formation isn't suiting anyone and keeping missing chances will come back to haunt us if it keeps happening like last year.

McGeough and Boyle made a difference when they came on but McGinn is playing too deep and we have no proper centre forward cover, we had no strikers on the bench to bring on.

We've got 6 points out of 6 against two tough teams which is brilliant so very happy about that. Tuesday however was a disaster and the worrying thing for me is the tactics and lack of cover, both of these things were in evidence today. Maybe the formation he's playing is due to the injuries in midfield so time will tell.

@hibs.net private member
    Very poor performance. But we've won 2 out of 2 in the league and that'll do me for a start.

Quote Originally Posted by CallumLaidlaw View Post

No luck in the stats. We were good enough because we won.

We're never happy. If it's a choice of results or performance, for this season I choose results. The performance will come, I'm sure of it
    That's quite simplistic Callum.

we won't win the league by winning today, people are allowed to discuss the performance as well as the result.

IMO if we play like that every week we will struggle to win the league, that's got to be relevant to this discussion surely?

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Not bothered at all about performances this season, all about the points for me. Would settle for this every week.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    Very poor performance. But we've won 2 out of 2 in the league and that'll do me for a start.
    I'm not having that. Your post could almost be considered positive where will this end

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member
    Winning ugly is what we needed to add from last season IMO

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    That's quite simplistic Callum.

we won't win the league by winning today, people are allowed to discuss the performance as well as the result.

IMO if we play like that every week we will struggle to win the league, that's got to be relevant to this discussion surely?
    That all depends on how strong you think Dunfermline are. If they push us all the way and finish second, today's result and performance will be looked upon as a great result. Time will tell, but it's too early to judge imo.

United we stand here....

Get points on the board early and the performances will come. Really need a couple of new faces in, we need to freshen things up a bit.

Two league games and only Cummings has scored. We need to address that.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adhibs View Post
    One of our goals being a howler of an og says otherwise
    Both goals were poor defending from them under pressure from us. If we'd lost those goals would you say we were unlucky?

That was winning ugly. A great sign if you ask me.

Much more to come from us.

First Team Breakthrough HibeeLR's Avatar
    We haven't played great over the two games, but to start the season getting 6 points from them is good, plus that's us 5 points ahead of both Falkirk and Dundee United who are our most likely challengers for the league. 👍

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    That all depends on how strong you think Dunfermline are. If they push us all the way and finish second, today's result and performance will be looked upon as a great result. Time will tell, but it's too early to judge imo.
    Hope so but my impression today was that it was all to familiar from last season.

Fwiw I actually thought Dunfermline were quite good in spells and a lot better than most teams from last season, I still want to see a lot more from us this season though.

6 points from 6 is great, no arguments from me.

Play like that every week and we'll throw away daft points though so the performance is up for discussion imo. We improved a lot when McGeough came on, we need to keep him fit.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Good 3pts but agree with the OP. Got to hope Lennon's upbeat post-match comments mask his true feelings and he realises that the team structure and tactics need some work.

6 pts, two wins, against two tight opponents is vg start, though.

First Team Regular Highland_Hibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Amusing Munch PSN ID: Amusing_Munch
    What game were folk at that say we didn't get lucky!? We won via an own goal and a defensive howler. I'll take getting lucky when we get 3pts though. We lost 3-1 and bounced straight back with a win in the league so I'm happy.

Listen last two seasons we played great in games and drew or lost. We had folk screaming it's points that matter. Today we should have been 3 up before they scored 1. Wasn't as bad as folk are saying as we created a fair few chances again.

Winning ugly is how leagues are won, we can't always have it both ways.

Also Hibs play much better playing 4-4-2 and funnily enough "the diamond" shape that Lennon seemed to go with when he made the subs.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Highland_Hibee View Post
    What game were folk at that say we didn't get lucky!? We won via an own goal and a defensive howler. I'll take getting lucky when we get 3pts though. We lost 3-1 and bounced straight back with a win in the league so I'm happy.
    Those goals were bad defending from Dunfermline - that's not luck. Saying that we were lucky to win implies that Dunfermline were unlucky to lose - that certainly wasn't the case. They were more in the game than I wanted them to be, but we were superior in every measurable way today, and well deserved winners.

Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    Listen last two seasons we played great in games and drew or lost. We had folk screaming it's points that matter. Today we should have been 3 up before they scored 1. Wasn't as bad as folk are saying as we created a fair few chances again.

Winning ugly is how leagues are won, we can't always have it both ways.
    Winning ugly is great and so is the 100% league record but I think the point folk are making is you won't get 3 points every week if you have performances like that. We have to stop being in a one goal up situation in this league, we need to start putting teams away or we will drop needless points. We seen it on Wednesday and we seen on a good few occassions last season. The squad looks a bit bare just now and we really need to add to it. Other teams in this league don't have our budget so we have to make it count and not give teams hope late in games.

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    6 points is the bottom line and that's what matters but I thought we were really poor.

That formation will have McGinn goosed by the end of September

He is asked to do the job of 3 men

Its no accident that we were cut apart at their goal today as we were by QOTS

If we don't have midfielders tracking runners the central defenders get sucked out of position and a couple of quick ones two's and boom they are in.

Keatings for all he is a fine footballer, couldn't tackle a fish supper and is continuously caught on the wrong side.

I don't blame him, he is being asked to fulfil an unfamiliar role.

Playing 3 central defenders and a holding midfielder and not being able to keep a clean sheet at home to Dunfermline is an indication its not working

Bartley for all his attributes is worse than a man short going forward.

Stevenson and Gary are easily shut out the game and their delivery's aren't reliable enough to create much

I would go 442

Its obvious we are going to need to create barrowloads of chances to score, same as in previous years and 3-5-2 wont do it

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomtownHibeys View Post
    Winning ugly is what we needed to add from last season IMO
    Sign Steve Fulton and quick.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    When it's the same players as last year with the same problems as last year I don't really see where you're confidence is coming from.

3 points is great but we found out last year that if you consistently struggle to put teams away and keep scrapping narrow wins its inevitable we'll drop points. We should, and need to be putting these teams away and start gubbing them by 3 and 4, if we do that teams might start to defend nervously against us.

Hopefully a couple of new signings might make a difference and it's unlikely any team will run away with the league like has happened the last couple of years so I'm not saying it's all doom and gloom, I am a little concerned though.
    That's not what's happening though. We've played two games, without our final squad, against two of our strongest opponents and we've taken six points.

By the end of the window I believe we will have brought in better players than our opponents - do you really think Dunfermline will bring in someone better? Are they going to sign Liam Henderson? Could they have bought Grant Holt?

In reference to your other point, when we sailed to promotion in 98-99, we didn't gub teams by three or four that often. We won the league comfortably but we didn't dispense that many thrashings.

I understand your concern and I would be lying if I said it doesn't lurk at the back of my mind also, but simply put, we are getting the points on the board, we know we are missing key players who will come back and we know we will acquire better players than our opponents can prior to the window closing.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    I suspect we are playing this formation out of necessity, although I would have had Martin instead of Bartley.

It's obvious to a blind man that it worked better 442, but as I said I think he didn't want to introduce McGeogh too early.

Incidentally, Fonts was unlucky to be hooked as he got to everything with his head.

I'm more concerned with Holt at the moment, we need some striking options.

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    That's not what's happening though. We've played two games, without our final squad, against two of our strongest opponents and we've taken six points.

By the end of the window I believe we will have brought in better players than our opponents - do you really think Dunfermline will bring in someone better? Are they going to sign Liam Henderson? Could they have bought Grant Holt?

In reference to your other point, when we sailed to promotion in 98-99, we didn't gub teams by three or four that often. We won the league comfortably but we didn't dispense that many thrashings.

I understand your concern and I would be lying if I said it doesn't lurk at the back of my mind also, but simply put, we are getting the points on the board, we know we are missing key players who will come back and we know we will acquire better players than our opponents can prior to the window closing.
    All good points and I'm not going to go out my way to argue negatives from what was a good win. Ultimately watching it I wasn't overly enthralled watching that today and that's what I was basing my judgement on, hopefully you're right about the improvements before the end of the window.

Regards to the 98/99 season, my memory from that is a slow start but pumping loads of teams quite convincingly? Long time ago though so you might be right
    Last edited by bingo70; 13-08-2016 at 05:38 PM.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    Not bothered at all about performances this season, all about the points for me. Would settle for this every week.

Absolutely spot on! Couldn't care less if it wasn't a "Barca style" performance, the 3 points are the most important if we want to get out of this league!

Will take this every week, if it results in us winning the league and getting this club back to where it belongs.

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    Exactly.

It's like Andy Murray said the other night, ' I won, that's all that matters'