hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Olympics - Golf

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304

Olympics - Golf

Happy to be watching some golf just now but the BBC coverage is absolutely brutal.

No idea who these commentators are but take them out to the "Bay of January" and bloody drown them.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I've not caught any of the golf yet and I'm a bit ignorant as to how it's being played. Is it matchplay? Or a 4 round stroke play competition?
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've not caught any of the golf yet and I'm a bit ignorant as to how it's being played. Is it matchplay? Or a 4 round stroke play competition?
    4 rounds of strokeplay PB.

As a massive golf fan, I find myself unable to get into this much. I don't know quite what it is, but I just haven't enjoyed it thus far.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    4 rounds of strokeplay PB.

As a massive golf fan, I find myself unable to get into this much. I don't know quite what it is, but I just haven't enjoyed it thus far.
    I agree. There is something unrealistic about the whole event. It would have been better if the competition involved the cream of the World's Amateur golfers.

Blog Entries
    What were the qualifying rules? USA have four men and three women, we have two men and two women for example. You would have thought that each competing country would have the same number of competitors.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    What were the qualifying rules? USA have four men and three women, we have two men and two women for example. You would have thought that each competing country would have the same number of competitors.
    It was all of the top 15 (or at least the top 15 that wanted to go) with a limit of 4 per country. Then for the remaining 45 it was 2 per country - or something like that.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: HibsMax
    I would have preferred to see no Pros there at all. Sure, very few people would recognise any of the golfers but the pros already have their big competitions - they don't need more.

When I was a lad I was always under the impression that competitors could not be Pro but obviously that is not true or never was true. I recall something about Torvil and Dean not being able to compete in the Winter Olympics after they turned pro.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HibsMax View Post
    I would have preferred to see no Pros there at all. Sure, very few people would recognise any of the golfers but the pros already have their big competitions - they don't need more.

When I was a lad I was always under the impression that competitors could not be Pro but obviously that is not true or never was true. I recall something about Torvil and Dean not being able to compete in the Winter Olympics after they turned pro.
    I think that's right about Torvil and Dean, they went pro after winning gold and couldn't compete in the olympics after that. Ifirc they did compete later when the rules changed, but were robbed off a gold medal due to the fact that they were seen as outsiders.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    I'm sure George McNeil was the fasted man on the planet at one time and never competed at the olympics because he was a pro.
    The idea about golf being back at the olympics is trying to grow the game.. The top pros really couldn't care less about that as McIlroy has more or less said.
    It is refreshing to see some of them without their corporate gear on but this is just a run of the mill competition for them.

This tournament has all of a sudden become very interesting. Rose and Stenson tied going up the last hole so its all to play for. Huge crowds as well which is encouraging for the game of golf featuring in future Olympics.

Good finish this.

Both seem genuinely keen to win it as well.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Well played Justin Rose, a great winning birdie up the last and another gold medal for team GB.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    That was excellent!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

No way it should be at the olympics it's not even a sport!

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    Quote Originally Posted by patch1875 View Post
    No way it should be at the olympics it's not even a sport!
    I know your trolling, but why do you say its not a sport?

Maybe a bit harsh but I consider it a hobby or a pastime, there's other events I would add to the list but it shouldn't be in the olympics which is about strength fitness endurance etc walking around a park hitting a ball isn't ;-)

They don't even carry their own bags!
    Last edited by patch1875; 17-08-2016 at 03:12 PM.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Maybe a bit harsh but I consider it a hobby or a pastime, there's other events I would add to the list but it shouldn't be in the olympics which is about strength fitness endurance etc walking around a park hitting a ball isn't ;-)

The original Olympics had activities like archery. That is based on a good eye, co-ordination, judging wind conditions and physical strength. All of those are necessary for golf.

And archers don't even need to walk anywhere....

Have you ever tried to play ?

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    Have you ever tried to play ?
    Yes I enjoy it.

Yes I enjoy it.
    Well given your (wind up?) comments then that's really surprising but each to their own.

You only have to look at the top guys in golf now to see how the game has gone. McIlroy, Spieth, Day, Fowler, Rose, Scott etc all look like athletes now, in fact scrap that, they are athletes. Look at the change in Phil Mickelsons physique in the last few years, he had to make those changes to stay competitive.

Golf is most definitely a sport and, at the top level especially, a physically demanding one. Look at the body rotation required and the major muscles groups in both the upper and lower body engaged.