hibs.net Messageboard

Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Olympics - Golf

  1. #1
    @hibs.net private member Sylar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Lanark
    Age
    31
    Posts
    13,793
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: sjmcg1304

    Olympics - Golf

    Happy to be watching some golf just now but the BBC coverage is absolutely brutal.

    No idea who these commentators are but take them out to the "Bay of January" and bloody drown them.
    Okay, technically I'm a serial killer...


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2
    I've not caught any of the golf yet and I'm a bit ignorant as to how it's being played. Is it matchplay? Or a 4 round stroke play competition?
    I fell in love with football as I was later to fall in love with women,. Suddenly, uncritically giving no thought to the pain it could bring. - Nick Hornby

  4. #3
    @hibs.net private member Sylar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Lanark
    Age
    31
    Posts
    13,793
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've not caught any of the golf yet and I'm a bit ignorant as to how it's being played. Is it matchplay? Or a 4 round stroke play competition?
    4 rounds of strokeplay PB.

    As a massive golf fan, I find myself unable to get into this much. I don't know quite what it is, but I just haven't enjoyed it thus far.
    Okay, technically I'm a serial killer...

  5. #4
    @hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,169
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    4 rounds of strokeplay PB.

    As a massive golf fan, I find myself unable to get into this much. I don't know quite what it is, but I just haven't enjoyed it thus far.
    I agree. There is something unrealistic about the whole event. It would have been better if the competition involved the cream of the World's Amateur golfers.

  6. #5
    @hibs.net private member Jim44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Age
    70
    Posts
    14,312
    Blog Entries
    1
    What were the qualifying rules? USA have four men and three women, we have two men and two women for example. You would have thought that each competing country would have the same number of competitors.

  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What were the qualifying rules? USA have four men and three women, we have two men and two women for example. You would have thought that each competing country would have the same number of competitors.
    It was all of the top 15 (or at least the top 15 that wanted to go) with a limit of 4 per country. Then for the remaining 45 it was 2 per country - or something like that.

  8. #7
    Coaching Staff HibsMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Boston MA, USA
    Age
    46
    Posts
    12,344
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: HibsMax
    I would have preferred to see no Pros there at all. Sure, very few people would recognise any of the golfers but the pros already have their big competitions - they don't need more.

    When I was a lad I was always under the impression that competitors could not be Pro but obviously that is not true or never was true. I recall something about Torvil and Dean not being able to compete in the Winter Olympics after they turned pro.

  9. #8
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    10,073
    Quote Originally Posted by HibsMax View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would have preferred to see no Pros there at all. Sure, very few people would recognise any of the golfers but the pros already have their big competitions - they don't need more.

    When I was a lad I was always under the impression that competitors could not be Pro but obviously that is not true or never was true. I recall something about Torvil and Dean not being able to compete in the Winter Olympics after they turned pro.
    I think that's right about Torvil and Dean, they went pro after winning gold and couldn't compete in the olympics after that. Ifirc they did compete later when the rules changed, but were robbed off a gold medal due to the fact that they were seen as outsiders.
    [SIGPIC]

  10. #9
    @hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Narnia
    Posts
    20,576
    I'm sure George McNeil was the fasted man on the planet at one time and never competed at the olympics because he was a pro.
    The idea about golf being back at the olympics is trying to grow the game.. The top pros really couldn't care less about that as McIlroy has more or less said.
    It is refreshing to see some of them without their corporate gear on but this is just a run of the mill competition for them.

  11. #10
    @hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,169
    This tournament has all of a sudden become very interesting. Rose and Stenson tied going up the last hole so its all to play for. Huge crowds as well which is encouraging for the game of golf featuring in future Olympics.

  12. #11
    Good finish this.

    Both seem genuinely keen to win it as well.
    I fell in love with football as I was later to fall in love with women,. Suddenly, uncritically giving no thought to the pain it could bring. - Nick Hornby

  13. #12
    @hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,169
    Well played Justin Rose, a great winning birdie up the last and another gold medal for team GB.

  14. #13
    @hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Erm...........................
    Age
    49
    Posts
    9,538
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    That was excellent!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

  15. #14
    No way it should be at the olympics it's not even a sport!

  16. #15
    Testimonial Due Hibee87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Leith
    Posts
    1,905
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: hibee-87
    Quote Originally Posted by patch1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No way it should be at the olympics it's not even a sport!
    I know your trolling, but why do you say its not a sport?

  17. #16
    Maybe a bit harsh but I consider it a hobby or a pastime, there's other events I would add to the list but it shouldn't be in the olympics which is about strength fitness endurance etc walking around a park hitting a ball isn't ;-)

    They don't even carry their own bags!
    Last edited by patch1875; 17-08-2016 at 04:12 PM.

  18. #17
    @hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    19,113
    Quote Originally Posted by patch1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe a bit harsh but I consider it a hobby or a pastime, there's other events I would add to the list but it shouldn't be in the olympics which is about strength fitness endurance etc walking around a park hitting a ball isn't ;-)

    They don't even carry their own bags!
    The original Olympics had activities like archery. That is based on a good eye, co-ordination, judging wind conditions and physical strength. All of those are necessary for golf.

    And archers don't even need to walk anywhere....

  19. #18
    @hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,169
    Quote Originally Posted by patch1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe a bit harsh but I consider it a hobby or a pastime, there's other events I would add to the list but it shouldn't be in the olympics which is about strength fitness endurance etc walking around a park hitting a ball isn't ;-)

    They don't even carry their own bags!
    Have you ever tried to play ?

  20. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Have you ever tried to play ?
    Yes I enjoy it.

  21. #20
    @hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,169
    Quote Originally Posted by patch1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes I enjoy it.
    Well given your (wind up?) comments then that's really surprising but each to their own.

  22. #21
    You only have to look at the top guys in golf now to see how the game has gone. McIlroy, Spieth, Day, Fowler, Rose, Scott etc all look like athletes now, in fact scrap that, they are athletes. Look at the change in Phil Mickelsons physique in the last few years, he had to make those changes to stay competitive.

    Golf is most definitely a sport and, at the top level especially, a physically demanding one. Look at the body rotation required and the major muscles groups in both the upper and lower body engaged.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved