hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Bartley

Bartley

I love big Marv but whenever he's on the park our play is so slow. He's the type of player we need to see a game out not to drive the team forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by TheMentalHibees View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I love big Marv but whenever he's on the park our play is so slow. He's the type of player we need to see a game out not to drive the team forward.

I think Marv is ideally suited to games when we might get hit on the break - like tonight.

He had one or two superb moments when he jockeyed a guy out to the wing then caused them to lose the ball themselves.

I don't think we need 3 centre-halves as well as Marv playing at home though.

He didn't look quite fit yet to me and I thought we most the game in centre-midfield in the second half. Bartley and McGinn fell out the game badly but Keatings was excellent throughout.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    i thought marv played well

I like big Marv he very rarely losses a tackle and mops up plenty mistakes by others, but he can be a bit negative at times. I will him to burst into the box and have a shot at goal, but he always hits the 18 yard box and panic passes, today once in each half he he burst forward up to the box and slowed down to look for a pass.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I think Marv is ideally suited to games when we might get hit on the break - like tonight.

He had one or two superb moments when he jockeyed a guy out to the wing then caused them to lose the ball themselves.

I don't think we need 3 centre-halves as well as Marv playing at home though.

He didn't look quite fit yet to me and I thought we most the game in centre-midfield in the second half. Bartley and McGinn fell out the game badly but Keatings was excellent throughout.
    100%

I think what some others are saying is right. He's excellent at what he does, but what he does isn't always what we need. 3 at the back with him isn't a great set up at home. When we went to a flat 4-4-2 he looked lost and not mobile enough to keep up at times, it was too late at that point however.

I would much rather see Martin play his role more often. From the two displays this week and what little I've seen of Martin I feel he may be the better option to play in midfield.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    I thought he was poor, but I thought the whole team was poor collectively. He had some solid defensive moments but his decision making in advanced positions was poor. You

Not Marv fault, it was the formation. 2 in the middle asks far too much of him, he is a technically limited anchor man.

Marv as a defensive midfielder is what his position should always be when he plays. As a "creative" midfielder he just doesn't have that in his locker. Made McGinn look like a lost wee boy tonight having to be the only midfielder trying to move us forward and he just got swallowed up by their midfield.

Effectively we only had 2 recognised midfielders tonight. Keatings ran his heart out just off the top 2 strikers but he is NOT a midfield player. That experiment didn't work tonight IMO.

Marvin Bartley was our best player in this game, no doubt. looked a bit sluggish early on but he then became very forward thinking and was driving us on, early on and for a good part of the second half cant see how he could be blamed for anything, at all.

Quote Originally Posted by monktonharp View Post
    Marvin Bartley was our best player in this game, no doubt. looked a bit sluggish early on but he then became very forward thinking and was driving us on, early on and for a good part of the second half cant see how he could be blamed for anything, at all.
    Keatings was our best player in my opinion. Bartley was ok in the 1st half but the game passed him by in the 2nd half particularly when Dobie came on. He shouldve won the header in the build up to their 2nd goal. He is decent back up but not a first pick in my opinion. Too slow on the ball and doesnt appear to know what do do when has the ball at feet. We need Hendo, Dylan and Fraser back pronto.

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by monktonharp View Post
    He was my MOTM.

Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    i thought marv played well
    He was bloody awful. I was sitting next to a proper old Hibs legend last night and he could not believe why Bartley played the whole game.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    He was bloody awful. I was sitting next to a proper old Hibs legend last night and he could not believe why Bartley played the whole game.
    Funny how different opinions can be. I also thought he was awful. I like big Marv but I just felt he got totally overran last night and had said about 60 mins in that he needs to be subbed.

Big marv is a player every team needs in there midfield, strong no nonsense, hard tackling type but him and McGinn didn't work tonight, that was McGinns worse game in a Hibs jersey which can be forgiven but he needs to improve at the weekend.. can't expect Marv to do the Mcgeouch role or even the McGinn one, his job is to break up
    play and give the ball to the more attack minded players, so they can push forward as he sits a convers them..

Thought he played well. John McGinn was worse than Marv last night!

We should never have to play 3 at the back and a defensive midfielder at home against anyone in this country, barring maybe Celtic, Huns, Aberdeen and Hearts.

Bartley has his place in the team but when he plays we lack any speed/tempo in midfield and it puts alot of pressure on McGinn, who also faded badly last night. Hopefully once Fyvie and McGeough are back it will give us more options/bite/creativity in midfield

Quote Originally Posted by smithy_hibees View Post
    Big marv is a player every team needs in there midfield, strong no nonsense, hard tackling type but him and McGinn didn't work tonight, that was McGinns worse game in a Hibs jersey which can be forgiven but he needs to improve at the weekend.. can't expect Marv to do the Mcgeouch role or even the McGinn one, his job is to break up
    play and give the ball to the more attack minded players, so they can push forward as he sits a convers them..
    But he didn't do his defensive job...in the last 30 mins he was like a lost old man. Miles of the pace, and not even attempting to close down. Its easy to play his role in a game when we are dominating like we did in the first 50 mins...but we needed energy when they got back in to the game. Martin was the simple substitution yet we bring on a winger??

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    Thought he played well. John McGinn was worse than Marv last night!
    Didn't think he was too bad either F, but pushing forward as an attacking midfielder isn't his game, also not convinced he's fully fit. Agree re JM, thought he was a bit subdued on Saturday too, not sure if him being only one of two in the middle of the park means he needs to be more disciplined but he's just not getting involved enough and doing what he is good at imho.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    Didn't think he was too bad either F, but pushing forward as an attacking midfielder isn't his game, also not convinced he's fully fit. Agree re JM, thought he was a bit subdued on Saturday too, not sure if him being only one of two in the middle of the park means he needs to be more disciplined but he's just not getting involved enough and doing what he is good at imho.
    i think if we are playing the 3 at the back we need to go with a 5 midfield...mcGinn needs another creative player next to him - wether that be Dylan or Henderson. playing 4 midfield of JM, Bartley, Stevenson, Gray is never going to give us much creativity.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    i think if we are playing the 3 at the back we need to go with a 5 midfield...mcGinn needs another creative player next to him - wether that be Dylan or Henderson. playing 4 midfield of JM, Bartley, Stevenson, Gray is never going to give us much creativity.
    Totally agree with that. Add to that strikers who don't win a lot in the air so we don't have the option of a long ball up to them to break things up now again. Until NL gets more players in we will still have the same failings as last year.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: JonnyLifeForce
    Marv was superb I thought holt was useful apart from missing sitter what we lacked was creativity from midfield.
    McGinn had poor game by his standards. Keatings put in a lot of effort but little end product. The difference came down to two decent saves and poor defending at the end

But he didn't do his defensive job...in the last 30 mins he was like a lost old man. Miles of the pace, and not even attempting to close down. Its easy to play his role in a game when we are dominating like we did in the first 50 mins...but we needed energy when they got back in to the game. Martin was the simple substitution yet we bring on a winger??
    We're you at the game?? Easy to play his role?? Did McGinn at any point help out in the defensive role you talk about ?? Miles of the pace?? We controlled first 45mins didn't turn up the 2nd half at any point.. All players not just Marv... I don't make the subs but that's a question you can ask Lennon although why would you bring on Martin to try and score a goal and get back into the game?? Surely bringing Boyle on was our best and only opportunity to try a change it

I thought marvin Was one of our best players along with holt, McGinn was by far the worst but appear immune to criticism

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by dp00 View Post
    I thought marvin Was one of our best players along with holt, McGinn was by far the worst but appear immune to criticism

Bartley was good last night - McGinn was shocking, his first touch was all over the place. I think he wants to be on the move so much that he is trying to knock the ball somewhere he can run on to but last night it was just flying away from him.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Agree he should have been subbed as Dobbie was allowed to wander in to totally unmarked positions at will. Wouldnt say the 3 centre backs covered themselves in glory defensively either. McGinn was poor also however didnt get great support either wide or alongside.

Quote Originally Posted by dp00 View Post

Love McGinn and he's been a cracking player since signing but people like to point the finger at players around him if he plays bad..

Can't have 11 McGinn types in a team it wouldn't work and people can't expect certain players to play his way