hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lgbti petition

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heidtheba View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I do hope my reply to the previous post wasn't insulting. It wouldn't necessarily have to be the fans to be the ones to blame, there could well be other issues. I don't know tbh. I do think that someone might want freedom from insults etc but not actually feel like they could force the issue themselves however. I've never had to deal with issues like these personally and I've never been in the limelight so can't really comment. It seemed a good thing to share and one which can only be for the good, IMHO. I also think that discussing issues surrounding this can only be of benefit.
    Nah, it wasn't.

I agree with nearly all the Bingomeister says, apart from how some fans would respond. I strongly suspect the player in question would be the subject of much unfortunate sing-dingery from opposition supporters and god help him at ER if he was a goalie.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    Nah, it wasn't.

I agree with nearly all the Bingomeister says, apart from how some fans would respond. I strongly suspect the player in question would be the subject of much unfortunate sing-dingery from opposition supporters and god help him at ER if he was a goalie.
    Remember when Justin Fashanu signed for Hearts?

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    I believe the biggest fear for gay football players would be more the reaction from their team mates than the anonymous Joe Bloggs sat in the stand. That is what could make or break their careers.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    I believe the biggest fear for gay football players would be more the reaction from their team mates than the anonymous Joe Bloggs sat in the stand. That is what could make or break their careers.
    The Secret Footballer had a section on that. He had experience of playing with gay team-mates. In his view, it just wasn't an issue, for anyone.

Footballers aren't necessarily the macho dinosaurs that they're often painted as. They're products of the 21st century and, as such, are more tolerant and enlightened than their predecessors were...just as in the wider community.

As you say, though, it's the fear that may be the issue, rather than the reality...even though the fear may be groundless, it can be inhibiting. Initiatives like this can only help to allay that.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    Not to mention the "hilarious" innuendo from the oh-so mature sports media.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl07 View Post
    Remember when Justin Fashanu signed for Hearts?
    When was that? 20+ years ago?? You don't think society has moved on any in that time?

If anyone were to suggest that football doesn't have problems with homophobia, it would be absolutely absurd. Our own rivals sing songs that use 'gay' in a derogatory manner, and it would be worth listening to the kind of songs that a lot of away fans sing at Brighton. If I was LGBT+ and happened to be a footballer, I'd feel very far from comfortable disclosing it. Will sign this.
    Last edited by Vault Boy; 09-08-2016 at 10:50 AM.

I'm not really sure how an openly gay footballer would be treated tbh.

On the one had plenty football fans still love singing about things that range from a bit close to the bone to the downright unacceptable. Songs about Hillsborough, Munich, refugees and paedophiles are still heard regularly or were until not so long ago. Was it West Ham or Chelsea fans last season singing about 'Adolf Hitler is coming for you' at White Hart Lane? Add to that the ingrained sectarian attitudes in parts of Scottish football and it doesn't take a lot of imagination to see some still see football as a chance to indulge their own prejudices.

On the flip side I think society is finally starting to get over it's weird fixation with what consenting adults choose to do with their genitals in their own bedrooms. I read an article a while back about a gay friendly football teams parading at half time at Loftus Road, the reaction of the crowd was non existent, as it was for most half time appearance. No great applause but no outright abuse either. There is at least 1 LGBTI friendly football team competing in Scotland at the moment and the reaction to them is largely positive.

As said above I think a lot of what is stopping gay footballer 'coming out' is the fear of doing so. This isn't without foundation imo, people often cite Justin Fashanu but more recently Liam Davis of Yeovil came out and spoke very openly about the abuse he received, Graeme Le Saux was subjected to some pretty vile stuff despite not even being gay, again he has spoke openly about that. On the flip side I think all but the hardest of thinking fans of any club that had a player come out would give them great support and much like the really obvious racism of the 80s (bananas on the pitch etc) slowly died away naturally maybe homophobia would do the same. Initiatives like the above can only help that imo.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlsberg View Post
    In 2016 is it really a thing any more, sorry I find things like LGBT to extent self excluding by having such a thing in first place.

For me whatever you are isnt really a big deal anymore and if it is then thats on the people bothered by it.

I am not gay but are people still getting stick for not being straight these days?
    Every day my friend, and that's just in Scotland. Far worse happens elsewhere on a regular basis. SPFL might not be quite as international as EPL but football is the most popular sport on the planet. When fans/players/clubs show public support for acceptance and equality, irrespective of the cause, it doesn't just reach Scotland. It encourages others to do so in and out of football and all around the world, in countries where being LGBT is still taboo, hated, or even illegal.
    Last edited by seanoheimhin; 10-08-2016 at 09:04 AM.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlsberg View Post
    In 2016 is it really a thing any more, sorry I find things like LGBT to extent self excluding by having such a thing in first place.

For me whatever you are isnt really a big deal anymore and if it is then thats on the people bothered by it.

I am not gay but are people still getting stick for not being straight these days?
    Not only are be people "getting stick", they are still being assaulted because of who they love.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Someone mentioned this earlier...

https://www.theguardian.com/football...er-gay-players

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/04/30/sp...gers-football/

Not only is signing the petition a step forward, IMHO, for football in general, the discussion on forums like this is very important.