hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Andy Murray

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by BoltonHibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Do you really think he meant it?carrying that piece of **** of a flag over winning Wimbledon or Davis Cup.... I doubt it.
    I don't think you can doubt he meant it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/36982188

When you're called upon to carry your country's flag in front of an audience of 3 billion ahead of the world's biggest sporting event it's a pretty big deal.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Always been a wee bit disappointed that neither him or Jamie have turned up at ER to do the half time draw, though it was nice to see their mum at Hampden.

I was going to say that it would be cool, not to mention great publicity for Hibs, if he did a few practice sessions wearing a Hibs top, but I would imagine his contract with Under Armour would prevent that ...... in which case we know who our next kit supplier should be
    She is not a stranger at ER.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Falcon View Post

Fancy a wee bet on him win gold and then follow it up with his 4th grand slam win in the US open

First Team Breakthrough
    There's no question its an honour to carry the flag when entering an Olympic stadium during the opening ceremony but for me I think the last two flag bearers has a wee bit of politics behind them. 2yrs from the independence vote and we got Chris Hoy, defo a political statement at the time, and now two yrs after Andy Murray, a cemented political statement. Lets be honest! Tennis has no place in the Olympics along with a few other sports. Why was Jessica Ennis not given the flag. This is a gold medal winner who took time out to have a baby and still came back to be at the top of her sport. IMO Murray is being used as a political statement. At the same time I do not hold anything against Andy and most, if not all, would have excepted the honour.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdawg View Post
    Brilliant arena, even in the top row of seats. Still on top of the action. Generally o2 is a great visit too.
    Been down a few times to watch Murray. Great atmosphere

Always buy cheap seats. First time down there i heard a group of women asking for an upgrade. So I did to. Every time since i go to the same place and "beg " for an upgrade. Watched all matches in row A 😄

Quote Originally Posted by fulshie View Post
    There's no question its an honour to carry the flag when entering an Olympic stadium during the opening ceremony but for me I think the last two flag bearers has a wee bit of politics behind them. 2yrs from the independence vote and we got Chris Hoy, defo a political statement at the time, and now two yrs after Andy Murray, a cemented political statement. Lets be honest! Tennis has no place in the Olympics along with a few other sports. Why was Jessica Ennis not given the flag. This is a gold medal winner who took time out to have a baby and still came back to be at the top of her sport. IMO Murray is being used as a political statement. At the same time I do not hold anything against Andy and most, if not all, would have excepted the honour.
    Personally think you're reading far too much into this. In terms of a leader there was no better than hoy for the last pick.

With all that Murray has achieved in sport, including his gold and silver and Davis cup (all done under GB banner) not to mention how highly regarded he will be by all in the team makes it a fairly easy pick for me. The chef de mission won't give a flying one about politics.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RoYO! View Post
    Personally think you're reading far too much into this. In terms of a leader there was no better than hoy for the last pick.

With all that Murray has achieved in sport, including his gold and silver and Davis cup (all done under GB banner) not to mention how highly regarded he will be by all in the team makes it a fairly easy pick for me. The chef de mission won't give a flying one about politics.
    I still think that it should have been a proper Olympian, if you get what I mean.

Jessica Ennis-Hill, Mo Farah or Greg Rutherford, or one of the many 2012 Gold medalists.

No offence but I don't believe for a second that a tennis player wouldn't pick a Slam win over an Olympic Gold medal.

It's like no footballer grows up dreaming of an Olympic Gold medal.

Andy gets chances every year to shine on the Global stage, it should have been an athlete who grinds in the hours for four years in Preparation for the Olympics that should have carried the flag.

J

Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    I don't think you can doubt he meant it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/36982188

When you're called upon to carry your country's flag in front of an audience of 3 billion ahead of the world's biggest sporting event it's a pretty big deal.
    He got to do it at the world cup?

Must have missed that.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey09 View Post
    Going to watch him at the O2 in November!! Cannae wait!! Anyone been to it?! Or seen him play in the flesh?
    I was at the semi there last time. Was great but felt abit inevitable afterthe massive doubles win on the Saturday.

Almost saw him at the French but had tickets for Chatrier ratherthan Lenglen. Saw Jamie Murray and Heather Watson that day though.

With a bit better luck I'll hopefully see him again soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post
    I still think that it should have been a proper Olympian, if you get what I mean.

Jessica Ennis-Hill, Mo Farah or Greg Rutherford, or one of the many 2012 Gold medalists.

No offence but I don't believe for a second that a tennis player wouldn't pick a Slam win over an Olympic Gold medal.

Andy gets chances every year to shine on the Global stage, it should have been an athlete who grinds in the hours for four years in Preparation for the Olympics that should have carried the flag.

J
    I think Novak would give up plenty of his slams to get a career golden slam tbh.

But fair dos we see slightly differently on this one :)

Fwiw I think Rutherford is a very lucky man. The long jump field of atheltes has been poor for a while and he was the best of that bunch in 2012. He's 60 odd cm off the WR.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by RoYO! View Post

Possibly. Maybe I'm just bitter about the referendum result. I meant no un-justification to Andy Murray whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by The Falcon View Post
    Dinnae believe ye ..... I've never seen her in the pie queue in the FF not even once

Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post

J
    Once you've won 3 Grand slams (incl Wimbledon) and got enough money for 2 lifetimes, being selected to carry the British Flag in the Olympics must become an incredible honour - just as it was for him to lead the GB Team in the Davis Cup. Murray has always been patriotic (Scot & GB) and is openly more passionate about his country than many of your typical Olympians.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    He got to do it at the world cup?

Must have missed that.
    Olympics is bigger than the World Cup, hands down:

Event/Host Total Attendance Total Athletes
    2012 Olympics - London 8,200,000 10,903
    2014 Fifa World Cup - Brazil 3,400,000 736

Global viewing figures for 2016 Olympics opening ceremony:
    3.2 billion
    Global viewing figures for 2014 World Cup final: 1.1 billion

Left by mutual consent!
    Tennis was one of the core events in the inaugural summer Olympics of 1896 and has long been part of the Olympic fabric so I don't see why anyone would think it doesn't belong in the Games.

And in what way is selecting Andy Murray a political statement? He's the outstanding British sportsman of our time, arguably of all time and you just need to look at his raw emotion when representing his country at the Davis Cup to see what it means to him. As with Hoy, he was a natural choice to pick as flag bearer.

Those who seem unable to move on from the 2014 referendum read far too much into these things. Why not just congratulate Andy on being selected for such a prestigious role?

Would love to see Murray appear at ER with his Wimbledon trophy and bring the 2 great trophies into the same arena..now that would be a crowd puller ?? !! Bring them both out at half time .....

@hibs.net private member
    On BBC online now

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    Tennis was one of the core events in the inaugural summer Olympics of 1896 and has long been part of the Olympic fabric so I don't see why anyone would think it doesn't belong in the Games.

And in what way is selecting Andy Murray a political statement? He's the outstanding British sportsman of our time, arguably of all time and you just need to look at his raw emotion when representing his country at the Davis Cup to see what it means to him. As with Hoy, he was a natural choice to pick as flag bearer.

Those who seem unable to move on from the 2014 referendum read far too much into these things. Why not just congratulate Andy on being selected for such a prestigious role?
    Its my opinion that tennis is an imposter of a sport in the Olympics due to the fact that in 1896 it was amateur, certainly cant say that now. As for AM being the best sportsman in our time, I'm sorry but I don't think so. Open your mind to other sports e,g Chris Froome 3 x time tour de France winner only 7 other people have won the tour on more than 2 occasions. Look closer to home, Ricky Burns 3 x time world boxing champ at 3 different weights now that's some doing but, hang on he couldn't possibly carry the flag as he is professional and cant compete. GET THE GIST? AM is a fantastic sportsman and no one is more prouder than me that the fact he is Scottish but, I stand by my opinion that politics has played a part. Personally I would have chosen Jessica Ennis as her sport is core to Olympic tradition and what she has achieved is nothing but incredible. My Opinion of course.

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Its my opinion that tennis is an imposter of a sport in the Olympics due to the fact that in 1896 it was amateur, certainly cant say that now. As for AM being the best sportsman in our time, I'm sorry but I don't think so. Open your mind to other sports e,g Chris Froome 3 x time tour de France winner only 7 other people have won the tour on more than 2 occasions. Look closer to home, Ricky Burns 3 x time world boxing champ at 3 different weights now that's some doing but, hang on he couldn't possibly carry the flag as he is professional and cant compete. GET THE GIST? AM is a fantastic sportsman and no one is more prouder than me that the fact he is Scottish but, I stand by my opinion that politics has played a part. Personally I would have chosen Jessica Ennis as her sport is core to Olympic tradition and what she has achieved is nothing but incredible. My Opinion of course.
    Wow ...Just wow!!

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Are most olympic sports not professional now? Seems a bit unreasonable to give Tennis a hard time.

You don't hear many people looking to boot Usain Bolt out for examplr.

Left by mutual consent!
    Good solid opening win for Andy today. Hopefully he and Jamie can maintain the winning habit in their doubles match later on.

Delighted for Murray, but I agree with the point about the Olympics. Football, tennis and now golf are making it a joke. Those sports get enough exposure anyway, and have stacks of tournaments.

To me it's about track and field and minority sports like fencing and archery.

Left by mutual consent!
    No, you can't say tennis at the Olympics is amateur, but how many sports are? The Olympics have been filled with professionals since 1986 when the pros were first allowed to compete. That's 30 years ago, so I think most of us have got used to it by now. As far as I'm aware Ricky Burns could fight at the Olympics if he wanted to thanks to new legislation about boxing, and you can hardly claim Chris Froome or Jessica Ennis (both of whom are competing in Rio) are amateurs. Ennis is worth at least a couple of million a year according to recent reports. As for Andy's claim to being Britain's greatest ever sportsman, I'd contend that what he has achieved (first British Wimbledon winner in 77 years plus two further Grand Slam titles, an Olympic gold and a member of the first winning British Davis Cup team for 76 years...as well as dozens of other titles won in what is probably the most competitive ever era for men's tennis) puts him ahead of Froome and Burns, terrific as their achievements are. Tennis, for me, combines so many factors (exceptional fitness/stamina, footwork, hand-eye co-ordination, speed, tactics) that it trumps most other sports, although I'd concede boxing probably runs it close - and it's interesting that Andy draws a lot of inspiration from boxing.

Anyway, we all have our own opinions and I respect yours but I just can't see where you're seeing a political angle here.

I think even the athletes you've mentioned would disagree with you :)

Plus I didn't say "in our time". For me, it's of all time!

Opinions eh :)

There are no amateur sports at the olympics.

Don't think Jessica Ennis has reached Rio yet.

I would agree that Murray is our greatest Sportsman of all time. Possibly the UK, not just Scotland. What he has achieved in an era when he is playing against 3 of the greatest of all time is astonishing. 3 Grand Slams, an Olympics gold and a Davis Cup. Plus plenty time to add to that. It's easy to forget how big a deal it was when Tim Henman was even reaching semi finals.

That Andy and his brother (the world doubles no 1) are Hibees is the icing on the cake.

Maybe you have missed this, but there are a few sports represented at the current Olympics where the participants are being paid a few bob. I think you would rule out a lot of sports that were amateur only in 1896! Anyway for my money Murray is more than worthy of being selected and I am proud of what he is achieving. We all have our opinions about who the greatest sportspeople are, and its not easy to reach agreement. What is not in doubt is that Andy Murray has done what no Briton has ever done in Tennis and that we should celebrate having a Scotsman who excels in his sport.