hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast

Lennon predicting a busy week in the transfer market.

Don't want to include a link to the The Daily Ranger, but apparently the Birmingham game pleased Lennon who was given "...food for thought." Despite this, he anticipates a busy week in the transfer market for us. Not sure who the latest targets are though...any updates?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Henderson

Logan

Commons

Moravcik

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wee Effen Bee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Don't want to include a link to the The Daily Ranger, but apparently the Birmingham game pleased Lennon who was given "...food for thought." Despite this, he anticipates a busy week in the transfer market for us. Not sure who the latest targets are though...any updates?
    Kenny Millar of The Sun reckons maybe two or three in this week.

If that's correct I can see a few going out as well, we can't just have the squad getting bigger and bigger.

A few out on loan or contracts terminated perhaps.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    HIBS boss Neil Lennon is keen to add to his squad in spite of an impressive 1-0 friendly victory against Birmingham City on Sunday.

Neil Lennon admits he has plenty of food for thought after watching his second string stars dump Birmingham.

The Hibs gaffer made TEN changes to the side which suffered an agonising Europa League exit on penalties despite beating Brondby 1-0 on Thursday night in Denmark.

Only Liam Fontaine kept his place as Lennon afforded those who excelled in Copenhagen a deserved rest, with James Keatings staking his claim for a starting place with a clinical winning goal on the hour.

Martin Boyle also rattled the bar during an afternoon which was only tempered by the news that Danny Handling - who didn’t feature yesterday - will be out for up to six weeks with knee cartilage damage.

While Lennon is desperate to bolster his squad in the coming days, he admits he will be “loathe” to axe those who outplayed the Blues.

Lennon said: “To go out there and stake their claim for a place - that was the challenge we threw down to them at the start of the game and none of them disappointed.

“I’m really pleased. I got everything I wanted from it. The condition of the players looks really good and the football was great. It was a very high standard. There were a lot of really good things to come out of that game.

“I hope it will be a busy week in terms of getting people in - but I’ll be loathe to take players out after what I saw a
    Boyle and the excellent Danny Carmichael both stung the palms of Tomas Kuszcak from the edge of the box in the opening exchanges, while Stephen Gleeson almost skewed a wayward clearance into his own net.

Kuszcak made a magnificent reflex stop with his legs to deny the hosts a deserved opener on the half-hour when Fontaine rose highest to meet an Alex Harris corner.

The Hibees eventually claimed the lead after 62 minutes, with Boyle slipping the ball inside the box to Keatings, who spun on a sixpence before lashing a fine finish into the roof of the net.

Keatings almost returned the favour when he found Boyle with a deep cross, only for the former Dundee man to head against the bar.

“I thought Hibs were bright and look a really good side,” praised defeated Blues boss Gary Rowett. “I know they had several first-teamers absent and it looks like they have a really strong squad.”
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; 25-07-2016 at 09:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Callum_62 View Post
    Henderson

Logan

Commons

Moravcik
    Commons registered for Celtics Euro game this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Callum_62 View Post
    Henderson Logan Commons Moravcik
    Are these predictions or have you heard this somewhere?

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hfcnic View Post
    Are these predictions or have you heard this somewhere?
    Moravcik is 51 so hope not

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stantonhibby View Post
    Moravcik is 51 so hope not
    He'd still score for fun in this division

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Danny Handling injured again. He's had some terrible luck.

As always, pre-season games, as heartening and encouraging as they have been, are not always an accurate indicator to how things will pan out in the cut and thrust of competitive games.
    The reality is that last season the squad was not good enough for either automatic (or through the playoffs) promotion. Yes, mitigating factors such as prolonged cup runs contributed - but not wholly.
    Thus, I feel that we need another 3 or 4 in to bolster our squad.
    It's encouraging to know that Neil Lennon has top level contacts and he might, just might, surprise us with an unexpected face or two.

Hope so would be great to see a few fresh faces we will see

Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post

If that's correct I can see a few going out as well, we can't just have the squad getting bigger and bigger.

Perhaps Insall would benefit from another loan spell, perhaps to a scottish league 1 or lower championship side to see how he fairs at that level. Had a food season with East Fife but the jump from East Fife to hibs is pretty big. Think he's got potential but don't think he's ready yet for us.

Maybe let Stanton and Harris go? Not terrible players and i'm sure they will find another club but I'm not convinced they'll make the grade at hibs unfortunatly.
    Last edited by 21.05.2016; 25-07-2016 at 10:43 AM.

@hibs.net private member

We've no longer got Stokes, Dagnall, Thomson, Henderson, Gunnersson, Oxley and Logan from the squad that ended last season and only brought in Holt. Even with Stanton and Harris being part of the squad, we're down on numbers from last season and our squad wasn't huge then. I We need strength in depth.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    We've no longer got Stokes, Dagnall, Thomson, Henderson, Gunnersson, Oxley and Logan from the squad that ended last season and only brought in Holt. Even with Stanton and Harris being part of the squad, we're down on numbers from last season and our squad wasn't huge then. I We need strength in depth.
    Stokes, Hendo & Gunner are a big miss. The others? Naw.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Danny Handling injured again. He's had some terrible luck.
    Agreed, a real shame for the guy who was just starting to get going again after a long injury. Its setting back his development and unless he manages to get fit soon and stay fit he sadly may not have a future at hibs anymore.

You could also argue that we have gained Martin, crane, forster, laidlaw, harris and holt. All of whom look likely to be in the first team squad this year.

I do not think we need much at all. A goalkeeper, Henderson and a striker and we are good imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Marvin View Post
    You could also argue that we have gained Martin, crane, forster, laidlaw, harris and holt. All of whom look likely to be in the first team squad this year.

I do not think we need much at all. A goalkeeper, Henderson and a striker and we are good imo.
    Stanton and Insall back as well.

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    I think we might see the goalkeeper from west brom this week tae.

We need a left sided midfielder / winger in the same mould as Boyle. Carmichael for me has not taken his limited chances he has had to show he has what it takes to be a regular first teamer.

A goalkeeper and a pacey left winger is all we really need IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by HibbyAndy View Post
    If we sign the young keeper from west brom still feel we'll need another experienced keeper. Hope that's not 2 of 3 or 4 - feel we just need 1

Quote Originally Posted by MacGruber View Post
    If we sign the young keeper from west brom still feel we'll need another experienced keeper. Hope that's not 2 of 3 or 4 - feel we just need 1
    Okay - that reads rubbish! Hope from the 3 or 4 signings Lennon is quoting that only 1 is a keeper, and an experienced keeper at that.

That's what I was thinking.

I reckon we are 3 or 4 short, when you take into account that Harris, Stanton and Forster are back.

Quote Originally Posted by HibbyAndy View Post
    Rather not.

Off the top of my head first team squad as follows

Virtanen
    Laidlaw

Gray
    Stevenson
    McGregor
    Forster
    Hanlon
    Fontaine

Harris
    Carmichael
    Boyle
    Bartley
    Fyvie
    McGeouch
    Handling
    McGinn
    Stanton

Cummings
    Holt
    Keatings

That is 20, add in possibly Crane, Martin and Insall we are up at 23. Bringing in 2 or 3 takes us up to 25 or more, that's too many and we won't run with that.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Nick T Muir
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    We need a left sided midfielder / winger in the same mould as Boyle. Carmichael for me has not taken his limited chances he has had to show he has what it takes to be a regular first teamer.

A goalkeeper and a pacey left winger is all we really need IMO.

I like what I've seen from Carmichael in the few games he's played in. Needs to stay fit but with a run of games, I think we have a decent winger there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent!
    Pawlett Hendo and a GK or ST?

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Off the top of my head first team squad as follows

That is 20, add in possibly Crane, Martin and Insall we are up at 23. Bringing in 2 or 3 takes us up to 25 or more, that's too many and we won't run with that.
    The official site has those 3 listed as first team players now, and as you have it, totals at 23. But then if another keeper comes in, Virtanen will surely go out on loan, and same with Insall maybe and a couple of others. Happy to see Martin & Crane given some more first team exposure tho

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    I wouldn't be averse to giving Laidlaw the gloves for the time being.
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

We can't be relying on Stanton and Harris. They aren't consistent enough at all and have had plenty of chances.

Coaching Staff
    I'd stick Crane in the first team squad based on what I have seen of him, and wouldn't moan if Stanton was also added as a squad man.

Sadly I don't think Harris has a long term future at ER though, and Danny Handling's unfortunate battle with injuries must put a question mark over him too.

Keatings definitely deserves a reasonable run in the first team too.