hibs.net Messageboard

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Kevin Thomson

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When I was a kid I was always deeply frustrated when we lost players to bigger clubs, especially the Old Firm. I used to think that if I was lucky enough to play for Hibs I would NEVER sign for Rangers or Celtic, but then you grow up and you just get used to it and accept that any sane person is not going to turn down the chance to triple or quadruple their salary, especially when their career is a short one.

While I still find it frustrating that talented players like Riordan, Brown etc opt for a move to Glasgow rather than taking the chance to further their careers on a bigger stage in England, in the average Scottish footballer's world Celtic and The Rangers remain a big deal. To claim you will never forgive a Hibs player for signing for them is a futile exercise, especially when you consider that Pat Stanton (arguably the most popular player ever to play for us) is among their number.

Personally, I'm grateful to have seen so many very fine Hibs players build their careers at Easter Road and would never wish any of them ill in their future careers...unless they signed for Hearts
    Pat Stanton did not want to leave Hibs .Turnbull thought his best days were behind him so swapped him for Jackie Macnamara .The rest is history

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cmcd View Post
    Pat Stanton did not want to leave Hibs .Turnbull thought his best days were behind him so swapped him for Jackie Macnamara .The rest is history
    Celtic only got a couple of seasons and 30 odd appearances from Pat Stanton whereas Hibs got a great player and servant in Jackie Mac. In hindsight ET got it right.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by cmcd View Post
    That's true, and some 20 years earlier Gordon Smith left Hibs in similar circumstances. My point was more to illustrate to the poster who claimed to regard all Hibs players who play for the Old Firm as ****ers that you can't really tar them all with the same brush.

@hibs.net private member hibbybob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Celtic only got a couple of seasons and 30 odd appearances from Pat Stanton whereas Hibs got a great player and servant in Jackie Mac. In hindsight ET got it right.
    No! Hibs could have got Jackie for a modest fee.
    Selling Pat was a huge mistake.