hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Allardyce

Allardyce

On BBC Sport website it says Allardyce will be appointed as the new England manager within the next 24 hours.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport

Not a total surprise, but can't help thinking they could have made a better choice than that. Still, what do I know. I'm sure it was Rio Ferdinand who said after England were beaten by Iceland that anybody would go for it- cos they couldn't do any worse than the ones they've had recently. Hodgson seemingly got £3.5 million, so you'd think it'd be attractive to a few.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member SouthMoroccoStu's Avatar
    Getting Big Sam in = England want to avoid relegation

@hibs.net private member
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: pesus-ab
    Weird and very rushed decision.

They decided they wanted an Englishman in charge.
    In the absence of any standout candidates I'd imagine Big Sam falls into the 'what's left' category? Don't really care tbh.
    Though I'd imagine he's likely to do at least as well as Hodgson.

I think he might surprise. Not the big name people are used to for the job, but I think he deals with the media well which is one of the biggest issues with being England manager. Plus, I'd say he'll remove whatever 'fear' that seemed to be present when they were playing Iceland. They couldn't even pass the ball 15 yards!

@hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    He'll make them hard to beat which I guess is a good foundation to build on. I don't think his style of play will go down too well though.

I don't really get this appointment at all.

Gives us a good chance of qualification for the World Cup.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    England will still qualify and Scotland won't so business as usual with Big Sam at the helm.

He has a track record of getting results I guess, but I'd expect any coach to get England to qualify for tournaments, that's not their problem.

Whether he can do better than his recent predecessors when the tournament gets going or not, I guess only time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by McKenzie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Gives us a good chance of qualification for the World Cup.
    Based on what? Think they will be harder to beat but will still not be world beaters.

@hibs.net private member
    England will knock down all the weak teams in the qualifiers as per norm, think they are world beaters and then won't have the guile or tactical know how when they come across one of the top 10 teams in the world. Standard practice for England teams

He's unlikely to massively inprove them. England will remain at about their level; 1st knock out round, maybe 1 stage further at a push.

He'll have the media gunning for him early doors as a lot of them and the fans still believe they are one of the big boys on the international stage. Personally I think Klinsmann may have been the man but that was never going to happen.

He gets results - it's his style that seems to be the issue!

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    I actually think he is the best "English" manager around. Question is..will England's superstars want to play for him ?

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    I think it's an interesting appointment. Allardyce has had success, most notably with Bolton but elsewhere too, while he's shown himself capable of going into teams and pulling them out of relegation, so he's got that balance of getting teams to perform better at both ends of the table.

He's meant to be really big on sports science and seems to be seen favourably in terms of his man-management style which are probably the critical elements for a job that really comes down to maximising performance for a couple of weeks every two years.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    I actually think he is the best "English" manager around. Question is..will England's superstars want to play for him ?
    Is there much competition for that title? I honestly can only think of him and Eddie Howe as English managers in the EPL although I'm sure there must be others. I think Howe will go on to be a far better manager than Allardyce as well.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Good appointment in my opinion. I think he'll do well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Is there much competition for that title? I honestly can only think of him and Eddie Howe as English managers in the EPL although I'm sure there must be others. I think Howe will go on to be a far better manager than Allardyce as well.
    Pardew

ITV News at 10 just had Butcher on singing the praises of Allardyce. He must be good then.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Sean Dyche has come back up with Burnley but the point's a valid one.

If you take the big five in England, three of them haven't had an Englishman in charge for more than twenty years, Liverpool squeak in with Roy Evans, but weren't able to sustain a league challenge all the way when he was in charge and Man City's English managers came before the really big money started flowing.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Think he'll do well.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by givescotlandfreedom View Post
    He'll make them hard to beat which I guess is a good foundation to build on. I don't think his style of play will go down too well though.
    I'm not sure England fans will care. They just want to win.

I think he's a perfect fit. English, thinks a lot of himself, likes #bantz, generally gets the job done.

His managerial record is good, if short of silverware.

Of course, it's possible that he's way out of his depth! We shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post

If you take the big five in England, three of them haven't had an Englishman in charge for more than twenty years, Liverpool squeak in with Roy Evans, but weren't able to sustain a league challenge all the way when he was in charge and Man City's English managers came before the really big money started flowing.
    As did Man City's status as one of the big five. Don't forget Hodgson
    Last edited by Scouse Hibee; 20-07-2016 at 10:59 PM.

Sams The Man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post

Liverpool had Hodgson as well.

Still, no Englishman has managed a team to the Premier League title.

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    I genuinely can't see the "big name" players from the England squad taking to being told they are not good enough from someone of Alladyce standing and background and can just imagine them downing tools at the earliest opportunities I'm afraid

Quote Originally Posted by ian cruise View Post
    I genuinely can't see the "big name" players from the England squad taking to being told they are not good enough from someone of Alladyce standing and background and can just imagine them downing tools at the earliest opportunities I'm afraid
    If that's the case they can pack their bags no "big name" player has any cause to question his ability when they perform so poorly on the international stage themselves.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ian cruise View Post
    I don't think that's what Big Sam is about.

He doesn't have any international experience but he's got a decent track record managing big egos.

Bet Mark Noble and Andy Carroll get call ups. Maybe Defoe too!

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    If that's the case they can pack their bags no "big name" player has any cause to question his ability when they perform so poorly on the international stage themselves.
    I agree, no player should feel they're too good to ply for their nation. Should always feel like the highest of privileges. I suspect that's not the case with some of the millionaires in the England camp and that's been part of the,issues regarding poor performance but is Sam the man to resolve that? I feel Harry Redknapp would have been a better choice, man management seems to be a particular kill of his plus, he's well liked by many players. If Sam gets it I hope he does well, I just fear its not the right ob for him.