hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Crete/Corfu

Crete/Corfu

Looks like Wife has decided against Turkey in Sept, been looking at maybe Crete or Corfu, never been before so could anyone reccomend an all inclusive ( half board at a push) in either.

Looking for a relaxing, not overly busy place, entertainment at night would be a bonus, oh, and good food 😃

Cheers 👍

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member StevieT's Avatar
    I have been to both islands numerous times and much prefer Crete to Corfu. Crete is much bigger and a lot more to see and do. Being bigger, it's a lot easier to get away from the crowds and noise. Where are you thinking of staying?

Quote Originally Posted by StevieT View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have been to both islands numerous times and much prefer Crete to Corfu. Crete is much bigger and a lot more to see and do. Being bigger, it's a lot easier to get away from the crowds and noise. Where are you thinking of staying?
    Really unsure Stevie, its a bit of the unknown for us, any hotels or appts you could advise on ? Would like a bit of life but not stag/hen central 😄

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by happyhibbie View Post
    Really unsure Stevie, its a bit of the unknown for us, any hotels or appts you could advise on ? Would like a bit of life but not stag/hen central 
    I went to Gouves in Crete a few years ago. It's not far from the airport and had lots of nice restaurants and bars. There was a lovely beach with restaurants all along the front.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I went to Gouves in Crete a few years ago. It's not far from the airport and had lots of nice restaurants and bars. There was a lovely beach with restaurants all along the front.
    Will check that out LB, cheers mate 👍

Edit - Great shout, looking at St Constantines in Gouves, looks good , Edinburgh flights too 😄👍
    Last edited by MSK; 19-07-2016 at 05:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I was about to suggest here too. Not too far from the airport and easy access to busier places if you want.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    We went to corfu 3 years ago to a small village called paleokastritsa(sp) not a lot of night life but beaches were lovely, hotel was really nice(sold out for june/july 2017 already) thw mrs is constantly asking when we are going back, i love the greek islands and been to most of them, out of all the islands i preferred zante though

Quote Originally Posted by superhibi1 View Post
    We went to corfu 3 years ago to a small village called paleokastritsa(sp) not a lot of night life but beaches were lovely, hotel was really nice(sold out for june/july 2017 already) thw mrs is constantly asking when we are going back, i love the greek islands and been to most of them, out of all the islands i preferred zante though
    Nice bay there and a pleasant walk up to the monastery.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Love Crete, been there 3 times, albeit the last time was about 20 years ago. I find the Greeks very amiable too, unlike most Mediterranean cultures the Greeks are able to laugh about themselves and have a great sense of irony.

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    I go to Greece every single year, I love the place..

Crete, Rethymon is a lovely wee place loads to do and not overly busy.

Corfu, Paelokastritsa is superb like the guys above mentioned , Plenty beaches and again not overly busy.

Where ever you go in Greece you are guaranteed the place will be clean and the people are very very nice

Quote Originally Posted by HibbyAndy View Post

Corfu, Paelokastritsa is superb like the guys above mentioned , Plenty beaches and again not overly busy.

Where ever you go in Greece you are guaranteed the place will be clean and the people are very very nice
    Cheers Andy, and cheers all for the replies above, much appreciated 👍

Wife has plumped for all inclusive Creta Maris beach resort in Hersonissis, looking forward to it 😄👍

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by happyhibbie View Post
    Cheers Andy, and cheers all for the replies above, much appreciated 👍

Wife has plumped for all inclusive Creta Maris beach resort in Hersonissis, looking forward to it 😄👍
    Bet you won't be disappointed K
    chania or a name like that is the Airport..Local lager is 'Mythos' and is uner a euro for a bottle !! And 'Yamas' means 'cheers'...Remember it as its said a thousand times a day :

Bet you won't be disappointed K
    chania or a name like that is the Airport..Local lager is 'Mythos' and is uner a euro for a bottle !! And 'Yamas' means 'cheers'...Remember it as its said a thousand times a day :
    Ha ha, cheers mate, I will be consuming a fair bit of local beer so Yamas will be said noon and night 🍺😄👍

Corfu Town/City is well worth a visit if you fancy a day trip.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Looking for a reasonably priced week in October somewhere hot probably Canaries but looking a bit pricey just now. Doesn't help that missus works in a school so is tied to school holidays.

@hibs.net private member EH6 Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Looking for a reasonably priced week in October somewhere hot probably Canaries but looking a bit pricey just now. Doesn't help that missus works in a school so is tied to school holidays.
    I'm looking for the same thing. Only place looking affordable just now is Turkey.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EH6 Hibby View Post
    I'm looking for the same thing. Only place looking affordable just now is Turkey.
    No chance the missus will entertain Turkey.

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Dave1875
    Quote Originally Posted by EH6 Hibby View Post
    My dad is in turkey now, arrived Saturday afternoon after the coup attempt can't mind the exact place but he's costal and south of Istanbul he says he's had no issues and holiday is no different to his last visit 2 yrs ago

Quote Originally Posted by Matty_Jack04 View Post
    My dad is in turkey now, arrived Saturday afternoon after the coup attempt can't mind the exact place but he's costal and south of Istanbul he says he's had no issues and holiday is no different to his last visit 2 yrs ago
    Ive got friends in Turkey now and they say the same, I would be absolutley fine with going back ( been going the past 16 years) but Wife just wants to give it a miss and try somewhere else.

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Dave1875

Me and the Mrs fell in love with Greece after a visit to Corfu 2 years ago, i know people who have a villa in a small town called arrillas (spelling may be off) I only managed 1 day in the villa and flitted around a bit but still loved it, it's a decent drive from the airport but absolutely stunning, its quiet but a few bars for night time entertainment and plenty restaurants along the beach front think I tried the majority and the food was always bang on and the people were brilliant everywhere I went, there's a brewery close by for Ionian Pilsner a little more than the mythos but cracking stuff! was in Kos last year which was also great really quiet as it was during a lot of the refugee stuff but no problems away from Kos town, can't wait to go back to Greece

Love Greece. Haven't been for a few years but went regularly pre kids in the 90s. Favourites were Andros, Skopelos and Samos. Also been to Aegina, Zante, Kefalonia, Crete and Kos.

Great food, great people, great country. Think I'll look into a wee island visit for 2017.