hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: British Airways

British Airways

Thought I would share my "BA experience" and hope that anyone who is social media minded can help by tweeting etc?
    We went to Italy for a short holiday last week (6 days).
    Flights booked and paid for from EDI-LGW-Pisa and return from Venice -LGW-Edi.

While on hols (day 4), I received a text message informing me of a flight time change that meant we could not make the return flight from London.

Called BA Call centre to explain and was offered flights back via London City. Later that day BA texted to cancel the flights!

Called again the next morning to be offered flights via LGW . Text received 14 minutes later to cancel these flights!!

Called BA again (On hold from Italy for over an hour without an answer)!!

We were supposed to fly home the next day so had to make a decision......Booked entirely new flights from Verona-LGW-Edi at 1500 euro cost ! The online system showed that BA had booked us onto flights from Venice for a day after we were supposed to fly home in addition, given the amount of cancellations, would you have trusted them not to cancel? Of course, even if we could have stayed an extra night, the hotel etc would need paid but nothing from BA to recognise this.

Tuesday morning before leaving hotel Called BA to check all ok and was told yes everything is fine.
    Arrived at Verona airport at 9am for a flight at 11.50am. TWO HOURS later we were still at the check-in desk!
    It seems that BA systems don't talk to each other and therefore we could not book luggage from Verona through to Edinburgh due to the amount of changes/alterations made to the booking!!!!! Eventually the staff in Italy sorted the mess but I'm still out of pocket by £1500 until BA agree to refund the costs and hope fully offer some compo for a ruined holiday.

Basically, I'm just having a moan about BA systems and people in their call centre who seem to work to the idea that you just promise anything until finally customer turns up at an airport..... then you find them a seat!
    I've sent a full written complaint but any social media coverage in support is welcome.
    Cheers
    Wonder which airline i'll use for Copenhagen? You can be sure it won't be BA!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Keep at them, you will get something from them.

I'm a BA regular due to my Avios balance and have to say I rarely have any problems, in fact I'm always recommending them. The one time I did have an issue with a cancellation and inconvenient rebooking I got the flight refunded and a small compensation. They hate bad publicity so keep fighting and you'll get what you deserve for what sounds like a shambles.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member offshorehibby's Avatar
    Don't know how reliable they are but there's a few adds on TV and papers re 'has your flight been cancelled or delayed' might be worth a call. If you booked by credit card also might be worth a call.
    TOP CASH BACK
    The easy way to make money

You seem to have already, but keep a detailed log of all that you did and they did.

I'd then send an email to the complaints department and copy in the chairman or chief executive - you will easily find their details online.

If they are anything like Vodafone then someone from the chief execs office will phone you within the hour

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I would never fly BA through choice

They have mucked us around countless times flying to Orlando

I now actually use them as a stop gap to get flights at a reasonable rate, whilst waiting for United's prices to fall in the almost certain knowledge that they will change the flight sufficiently to enable me to cancel and claim a full refund and book with United whose transatlantic service I much prefer.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by BSEJVT View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would never fly BA through choice

They have mucked us around countless times flying to Orlando

I now actually use them as a stop gap to get flights at a reasonable rate, whilst waiting for United's prices to fall in the almost certain knowledge that they will change the flight sufficiently to enable me to cancel and claim a full refund and book with United whose transatlantic service I much prefer.
    Went to orlando with BA last year, wont be using them again. They couldnt touch virgin airlines for quality and service. BA was a shambles from start to finish.

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. S View Post
    Went to orlando with BA last year, wont be using them again. They couldnt touch virgin airlines for quality and service. BA was a shambles from start to finish.
    Try United

The benefits of missing Orlando immigration on the way out and your transatlantic journey home being to your home airport shouldn't be underestimated IMO

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Anyone who flies regularly will be involved in a chaotic situation at some point, it's the nature of the aviation industry. The difference between how individual airlines can then compensates you for your inconvenience is as always money, the chances are that the more money they take from you then the better they're positioned to compensate you or offer alternatives. No real surprises there.

Complained on Friday..... Not even acknowledged by Wednesday. Sent copy of complaint to BA ceo... Reply received same day. Waiting for outcome now.

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    Try United

The benefits of missing Orlando immigration on the way out and your transatlantic journey home being to your home airport shouldn't be underestimated IMO

In Orlando just now, flew out with BA as I have always done, and again no complaints. Airport was fine too - from touchdown to driving away in hire car was just under 75 minutes.
    ​#PERSEVERED

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Try United

How do you miss out on immigration?

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Airlines are a law unto themselves.
    Some have ridiculous pricing systems where it's cheaper to buy a return ticket than a single, and other similar stupid anomalies.
    Imagine going to the theatre and finding that there's someone sitting in your pre-booked seat with a valid ticket?
    Utter nonsense yet the airlines apparently over-book flights by up to 10%.

@hibs.net private member Ryan91's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    How do you miss out on immigration?
    Fly into New York and clear immigration there instead as second flight onto Orlando is Domestic

Coaching Staff
    Always fly BA and never have too many issues.

Probably won't be using them much in future since they changed their rules on the Exec Club and the way you can receive and spend the points and miles. It only makes sense for very regular flyers on full business tickets now.

It's a pity as being in the scheme has always encouraged me to use them at every opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan91 View Post
    Fly into New York and clear immigration there instead as second flight onto Orlando is Domestic
    New York immigration just as bad as Orlando. U.S. Border control is a farce.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Perhaps there's peaks & troughs in US immigration queues,,, we flew BA from Edinburgh to Orlando on the 1st of this month, we were off they plane, through immigration and in a taxi in under 45 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan91 View Post
    Ah I didn't realise it wasn't a direct flight.

Quote Originally Posted by Tory Hibby View Post
    I went through immigration at JFK the other week and I stood in the queue and got dealt with in about 20 mins. Not too bad at all.

First Team Breakthrough
    I travel with BA regularly and know that they have recently changed their systems, there have been quite a few issues with this but I believe they are slowly sorting them out. Hopefully they will be back to their normal efficient best soon.

@hibs.net private member MountcastleHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CBacke
    Quote Originally Posted by Tory Hibby View Post
    Have gone through US Preclearance before at Dublin airport which is a much better experience than my experience in Orlando. Reckon I was through in 5 minutes with Preclearance. Wish they did it in the UK.
    You found your God in a paper back, you get your history from the Union Jack, and all your brothers and sisters have gone and they won't come back.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    I went through immigration at JFK the other week and I stood in the queue and got dealt with in about 20 mins. Not too bad at all.
    Been through JFK 3 times, 2 on work 1 on tourist visas. First was around an hour, 2nd around 45, 3rd was roughly 20mins.

Depends on time of day and year.

Will update my 4th time on Thursday night.

Testimonial Due
    Had a nightmare boarding the 21.50 from Heathrow to Edinburgh last night. Their new computer system was apparently the problem. Flights get delayed all the time and it's part and parcel of travelling, but it's really annoying when the issue is computer systems holding up a simple boarding process. To make things worse the plane was parked miles away from the terminal when it landed in Edinburgh airport, although that's more down to the incompetency of Edinburgh airport.

I went through security at JFK about 3 weeks ago. Took no longer than 10 minutes. Been through it tens of times in Miami/Orlando aswell and while the queues waiting to go through can sometimes be 20-30 mins long the actual process once you get taken has never taken me more than about 15 mins.

@hibs.net private member PercyHibs's Avatar
    Thought I'd share my BA experience for last weeks Copenhagen trip. Flights booked edi-lhr-cop for Wednesday morning leaving 10.05

On arrival at the airport I found out the flight was delayed a couple of hours. It then got delayed again meaning we would miss our connecting flight at Heathrow.

BA decided to put us on a flight to Amsterdam where we could get a connecting flight there. Out flight to Amsterdam was then delayed meaning it would be tight when we got to Amsterdam. Once the plane was on the runway it was delayed again so we missed our connecting flight and found ourselves at Amsterdam airport for the night. They booked us on the 7.50 the next morning to Copenhagen. Got there a day late.

Coming home we got to Heathrow to find our flight had been cancelled. Had to wait 6 hours in the airport for another flight.

So to conclude, we were supposed to be on a 3 day trip and spent 2 days in airports.

Thanks BA. Will not fly with them again.

Quote Originally Posted by HibbyDave View Post
    Complained on Friday..... Not even acknowledged by Wednesday. Sent copy of complaint to BA ceo... Reply received same day. Waiting for outcome now.
    Still waiting for complaint to be handled😡 they must be swamped. I called and spoke to someone who confirmed the situation. They cannot handle the volume of complaints caused by their crap booking system with major flaws.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    We used BA from Gatwick to Edinburgh last flight back on a Sunday recently after a weekend visit to London for Lpool- Barca game. Everything on time apart from short wait to take off,great service and friendly staff.