hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The judges scorecards had Brook ahead
    They may well have but at no point was he in charge of the fight.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneyburn hibs View Post
    They may well have but at no point was he in charge of the fight.
    I didn't say he was. It was up until his corner threw in the towel the best fight I've seen this year. You can dispute who was winning, but surely you can't argue it was game on when the towel was being waved? Golovkin has never been properly tested until tonight and the test should have continued

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I didn't say he was. It was up until his corner threw in the towel the best fight I've seen this year. You can dispute who was winning, but surely you can't argue it was game on when the towel was being waved? Golovkin has never been properly tested until tonight and the test should have continued
    I've already said the fight was done when the towel was waved, watch it again.

Watched the fight again and the right decision was made. Another couple of seconds i think the ref would have taken the decision out of the trainers hands anyway.

Kell had zero chance of winning the fight, he was taking a hiding in that last round and looked like he had given up on his stool before he came out, his eye socket was broken, he couldn't see properly and he was in with the most brutal puncher boxing has seen in decades. Again, he could've won every single round up until that point a bit like Khan had done with Canelo Alvarez earlier this year, but that fight tonight was going to end up with Kell being very, very badly hurt. Towel coming in was the right thing to do from the corner IMO although I agree, great fight and Brooks gameplan was spot on, he just never had the power to make it work against GGG or the chin to take those ferocious hits for 12 rounds.

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Exile View Post
    Kell had zero chance of winning the fight, he was taking a hiding in that last round and looked like he had given up on his stool before he came out, his eye socket was broken, he couldn't see properly and he was in with the most brutal puncher boxing has seen in decades. Again, he could've won every single round up until that point a bit like Khan had done with Canelo Alvarez earlier this year, but that fight tonight was going to end up with Kell being very, very badly hurt. Towel coming in was the right thing to do from the corner IMO although I agree, great fight and Brooks gameplan was spot on, he just never had the power to make it work against GGG or the chin to take those ferocious hits for 12 rounds.
    I agree I think. Brook didn't seem happy with his trainer but these guys are warriors and will stay in as long as they can. GGG says brook never hurt him tho. I don't believe that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Willis1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Exile View Post
    Spot on.Brooks corner made the right decision given that his eye socket is broken.Would be hard enough fighting 1 GGG never mind 5

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Wether or not Brook was ahead with the judges, he was getting hurt, and GGG wasn't. The judges scorecard was never going to be relevant, it was never going the distance.

Brooks corner did the right thing. The only way it was going was a more serious injury.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    Wether or not Brook was ahead with the judges, he was getting hurt, and GGG wasn't. The judges scorecard was never going to be relevant, it was never going the distance.

Brooks corner did the right thing. The only way it was going was a more serious injury.
    Agreed. He needs an operation on his fractured eye socket which apparently happened in the second round. Could've been a lot worse if the fight had continued. Only have to go back a few months to the Nick Blackwell v Eubank Jr fight to see how dangerous it can be when fighters are allowed to continue without intervention.

Brook can hold his head high after that performance, he done himself proud. He's raised his profile considerably and won a lot of fans. This fight will prove to be pivotal in his career and he'll have much bigger fights than he was having before; probably in the light middleweight division. So I'm sure he'll look back on it and thank his trainer for pulling him before there was a more serious injury.

Can see why people are annoyed as it was a really exciting fight. But the safety of the fighters has to come before entertainment.

Almost 24 hours on and as the dust settles and after having watched the fight again I've got nothing but huge respect for Brook for the way he fought last night, absolute balls of steel and he's earned huge respect throughout the boxing world for that performance last night. The stoppage was bang on and I'm glad he's walked away from that last night able to fight again next year rather than having his career ended, once that eye socket shatters it's career over and so happy he's only broken it and can have it repaired and heal naturally. Some quotes below in relation to the fight and stoppage:

Kell Brook: "He's like a father figure. It was the right decision and I can fight another day," he said. "I was getting caught, and getting caught. It could have ended up seriously bad."

David Haye: "That stoppage was absolutely spot on. You've got to realise, Kell Brook is a current welterweight champion - he had no business taking that onslaught on the ropes.

"I'm so happy Dominic Ingle did that and didn't watch his fighter get drilled to the canvas, because give it six months and he's back in the ring, he's still earning money for his family, he's still defending his welterweight title.

"Great bit of corner work by Dominic Ingle - the best I've seen for a very long time."

Eddie Hearn: "He is still world champion at welterweight. It's going to be difficult for him to go back to 147lbs but in terms of worldwide stock, I think Kell's rose considerably," the promoter said.

"[US TV network] HBO asked me if I would do the re-match with Golovkin but I can see him [Brook] returning to light-middleweight, there are some huge fights out there for him.

"There is the Canelo [Alvarez] fight, the Amir Khan fight should have happened a dozen times and hasn't, maybe they feel it is the right time for that, there are other world champions out there at light-middleweight.

"The Golovkin re-match, if people want to see it in time to come, who knows? But it is not something that is going to happen in the very near future."

Personally I don't think he'll ever fight GGG again as he just doesn't have the power or the defence over 12 rounds to win that fight and he's just not cut out for middleweight. Canelo fight is absolutely huge and that would be winnable for Kell, I think a fight with Khan would be a big money spinner and he wins that IMO. Some great fights against fellow brits at 154 too.
    Last edited by The_Exile; 11-09-2016 at 07:08 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    Are all the guys that disagreed with the stoppage fully behind the Eubanks comments as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    Are all the guys that disagreed with the stoppage fully behind the Eubanks comments as well?
    About his corner not owning a towel? I'm betting he would wish they had a towel after the 1st round with GGG. Although I wou;dn't mind seeing Eubank on the canvas

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by jackkennedy1 View Post
    About his corner not owning a towel? I'm betting he would wish they had a towel after the 1st round with GGG. Although I wou;dn't mind seeing Eubank on the canvas
    How funny would it be if he got knocked out cold by GGG after all of this. A detestable prick.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I watched the fight on Sunday when i got up, and Brook fought a good fight and was brave as a lion, but he was just not strong enough against a great fighter like Golovkin.

The fight may well have been close, but his eye was knackered and he was not throwing any punches back.

The corner were right in throwing the towel in, he was just taking punishment and was never going to win or even protect himself properly.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by jackkennedy1 View Post
    Mainly the part about how he should’ve carried on – “pain is good” etc. He shouldn’t have worried about fighting another day and just taken the beating.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Strange comments from Eubank after the Blackwell fight

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Eubank has inherited his old man's drivel.

Brooks corner called it spot on. He would have been telling them his eye was a problem between rounds and if his vision was impaired he could have been in all sorts of bother. A corner has a duty to protect their fighter and Ingle made the right call.

Eubank is just an idiot. He's not even the best fighter at his weight division in the UK never mind on Golovkins level and after all he's been through this year his comments are ill thought out.

As for GGG he's undoubtedly a ferocious puncher but he does take a lot of shots and I reckon he is beatable. Staying out of his range and peppering him with jabs and lead rights would look like the plan. Easier said than done of course. Following the lead of Mayweather might be the way to do it but whether anyone at that weight has the speed and skill is another matter.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Testimonial Due
    Liam Smith was outclassed and knocked out by Canelo last night. Another brave performance by a Uk boxer, but just not good enough to mix it up with the likes of GGG and Canelo at world level.

Really looking forward to Crolla v Linares next week on Sky. That should be a great fight. I remember Linares fight with Kevin Mitchell last year; one of the best fights I've seen in the last year or so. Expect this to be very similar.