hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Golovkin v Kell Brook Sept 10th

Madness, absolute madness but respect to Kell for having the balls to get ko'd inside the first few rounds!!!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Testimonial Due
    Wow! Don't think this will be as good a fight as GGG Vs Eubank would be, but respect to Brook for taking it. The Eubanks are apparently a nightmare to deal with and this seems to prove that.

When my old man txt me saying golovkin is fighting brook I thought he had made a mistake and said brook instead of Eubank Jnr. Brook is a massive WW and will be making a lot of money but he's a huge underdog in this fight . Looking forward to it

Looking forward to it.

Massive respect to Brook. He's a classy operator and a world champion.

Don't see him winning but wish him all the luck in the world.

It's a great fight for Brook really.

He wins and he becomes a superstar who will have top names desperate for a shot at him. If he loses then there will still be options for him as no one expects anything of him anyway.

FWIW I like Golovkin but I think he's beatable. Due to his style he takes a lot of shots as he presses forward and I think with the right game plan he is there to be got at. Whether Brook can do it is another matter of course.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Reminiscent of Khan v Canello and the same outcome I fear. I kinda feel for both fighters, they're both dangerous and struggle to get big fights as nobody wants to fight them. But let's be honest, it's a total mismatch!

IMO Kell is struggling to make 147 these days and a move up was eventually inevitable but this seems like a mad move for him, it's a big payday though so might actually pave the way for a Khan fight (that's a humungous payday for both of them) a couple of fights down the line. Can't see him winning this, the size mismatch will be telling and can only really see Golovkin walking him down and finishing him early.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Exile View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Reminiscent of Khan v Canello and the same outcome I fear. I kinda feel for both fighters, they're both dangerous and struggle to get big fights as nobody wants to fight them. But let's be honest, it's a total mismatch!

IMO Kell is struggling to make 147 these days and a move up was eventually inevitable but this seems like a mad move for him, it's a big payday though so might actually pave the way for a Khan fight (that's a humungous payday for both of them) a couple of fights down the line. Can't see him winning this, the size mismatch will be telling and can only really see Golovkin walking him down and finishing him early.
    A completely different fight to Canelo V Khan imo.

Both have a great jab and judge distance very well. Brook has power at welterweight but whether or not that translates to middleweight remains to be seen and imo is the key to this fight. I expect GGG to win in the mid-late rounds but this is a much better fight than some are giving it credit for. If Brook somehow manages to win this he instantly becomes an elite level fighter, no matter what his profile is raised considerably. A win-win and nobody can accuse him of avoiding anyone now. Can't wait for this fight!

Testimonial Due
    Very good interview with Eddie Hearn here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AuMgE6Y7oI

Explains that Eubank Senior was demanding full control of the ticket prices and effectively wanted to run the whole event - that's why the fight fell through and was offered to Brook instead 😂. Junior is a great fighter but his Dad could do some serious damage to his career if he's not careful.
    Last edited by #FromTheCapital; 09-07-2016 at 06:53 AM.

Testimonial Due
    One week to go. Can't wait for this. Call me crazy but I've got a feeling Kell Brook might just do this on points.

Quote Originally Posted by #FromTheCapital View Post
    One week to go. Can't wait for this. Call me crazy but I've got a feeling Kell Brook might just do this on points.
    Really can't see it myself. This is the best p4p fighter on the planet for me. He isn't all about power either, this guy can also box, Olympic silver medalist .. Great ring IQ.. One of the best jabs in boxing. I just can't see Brook taking his power for 12 rounds and I certainly can't see brook winning by KO..

Golovkin will end it between rounds 7-9

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiberniankb View Post
    Really can't see it myself. This is the best p4p fighter on the planet for me. He isn't all about power either, this guy can also box, Olympic silver medalist .. Great ring IQ.. One of the best jabs in boxing. I just can't see Brook taking his power for 12 rounds and I certainly can't see brook winning by KO..

Golovkin will end it between rounds 7-9
    A very logical prediction to make, mines is based mostly on a hunch tbh. Will be a very tough fight for Brook.

I'd disagree on GGG being p4p best. He does have a lot of power and great boxing skills but he's by no means unbeatable and hasn't been properly tested yet. He admits himself that Brook will be his toughest opponent to date.

I can see what u mean by he hasn't been properly tested yet .. But who would at 154-168 would test him? And who is your p4p no 1?

Kell Brook gets all my respect for taking the fight and for having gone to the US to fight for world titles.

But he's not going to win.

Testimonial Due
    I can see what u mean by he hasn't been properly tested yet .. But who would at 154-168 would test him? And who is your p4p no 1?
    Canelo would be the obvious choice here, although I think GGG wins; if Canelo stops pissing about and takes the fight in the next year or 2. If he manages to drag it out any longer there's a chance that GGG starts to decline as he's a good few years older. Other than that I think Eubank Jr also gives GGG a very tough nights work as he has a good chin and attacks with ferocity.

As for current p4p, I'd put Andre Ward above Golovkin especially if he beats Kovalev later this year. Would've loved to see Ward v GGG but that's probably unlikely now that he's moved up in weight.

Canelo clearly ducked golovkin, just don't think golden boy and de la Hoya fancy it whatsoever but we shall see eh, and as for Eubank Jnr I really don't think he is world level at the moment. Golovkin is 34 so he's still got a good 2/3 years at the top then he will retire, probably undefeated.

My top 3 p4p fighters are

ggg
    Lomachenko
    Roman Gonzalez

Looking forward to kova,ward fight. I think this fight is all wrong for kovalev and ward schools him. Although I would love a Krusher KO !

Remember it wasn't so long ago people were saying that golovkin could knock out Carl froch so what could he do to kell? I really hope brooks corner pull him out early if he's taking a beating

Testimonial Due
    Defintely seems like he is ducking GGG. Canelo is a huge draw in America and Mexico so it's currently the biggest fight in world boxing. I'd love to see GGG knock him out, don't leave it to the corrupt judging that Canelo frequently benefits from.

I'd have GGG high in a p4p list but couldn't put him top at the moment because of his relatively poor CV. Convincing wins over Brook and Canelo would change that though.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by #FromTheCapital View Post
    I really hope he does. He's one of the most likeable guys in the game. Does anyone know what time it's due to start?

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I really hope he does. He's one of the most likeable guys in the game. Does anyone know what time it's due to start?
    Between 10-11 I'd have thought.
    I really like Kell. Would love him to win this but can't see it. Fair play to him for taking it on but I suppose he can't really lose as he's expected to lose as he's fighting a better fighter at a weight he's not used to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CallumLaidlaw View Post
    I really like Kell. Would love him to win this but can't see it. Fair play to him for taking it on but I suppose he can't really lose as he's expected to lose as he's fighting a better fighter at a weight he's not used to.

It's going to be tough for him, but he's an unbeaten fighter and he got a chance.

United we stand here....

It's going to be tough for him, but he's an unbeaten fighter and he got a chance.
    He's no chance IMO, Kell's unbeaten at Welterweight, Golovkin is as heavy handed as they come and a natural middleweight, the wee half steps he takes to cut the ring off is almost impossible to counteract. In saying that I'll be cheering on Kell and would love to be proved wrong, if he's going to win I feel he has to swarm him from the first bell and try and take him out early before GGG establishes any kind of rhythm.

Testimonial Due
    Agree with this. Very likeable person.

To win would be one of the greatest ever achievements by a British boxer and if it does happen then I can't think of anyone else i'd like to see do it more than Kell Brook. Very difficult night ahead of him though.

Testimonial Due

He defintely could have used a tune-up fight to get used to the weight before taking on the likes of GGG. A very bold move that should be respected regardless of the outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Exile View Post
    He's no chance IMO, Kell's unbeaten at Welterweight, Golovkin is as heavy handed as they come and a natural middleweight, the wee half steps he takes to cut the ring off is almost impossible to counteract. In saying that I'll be cheering on Kell and would love to be proved wrong, if he's going to win I feel he has to swarm him from the first bell and try and take him out early before GGG establishes any kind of rhythm.
    To say he has no chance is a bit harsh, but I do worry whether he'll be able to handle the power of golovkin, especially in the latter rounds.

United we stand here....

Lots of rumours going about that Gennady has the flu . Looked really unwell either that or Eddie Hearn has spiked him 😂

Testimonial Due
    Lots of rumours going about that Gennady has the flu . Looked really unwell either that or Eddie Hearn has spiked him 😂
    Wasn't his usual smiley self at the weigh-in and apparently didn't stick around for any interviews after the press conference yesterday or the weigh in today. I have to say, I did think he was leaving it a bit late only coming to the UK on Sunday from California. In my experience travelling that distance Eastbound, it takes a bit more than a week to aclimatise to the time zone. Sure it's nothing, there's too much at stake for him to be fighting with any serious ailments.

I felt a bit sorry for Charlie Edwards there. Fighting a guy as experienced as that after 8 fights is madness imo.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    I felt a bit sorry for Charlie Edwards there. Fighting a guy as experienced as that after 8 fights is madness imo.
    The term "thrown to the wolves" seems appropriate.

Callum Smith looking solid here.

The term "thrown to the wolves" seems appropriate.

Aye that's what I was thinking.

United we stand here....