hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    @hibs.net private member Leithenhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by emerald green View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just shake my head in disbelief at some of the names mentioned in earlier posts who are already in the Scottish Football Hall of Fame.

Who decides who is inducted, and who isn't? Ally McLeod, Terry Butcher, Malpas! Jeez.
    Unbelievable

GGTTH

http://scottishfootballhalloffame.co.uk/nominations/

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WoreTheGreen View Post
    Buffet of fame
    Hall of Perms

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Baader View Post
    When I moved to London 12 years ago I lived for the first 5 of them in Highbury - opposite the stadium. Arsenal, naturally, became my second team (but way behind my first!)

Joe is held in very high esteem by Gooners and rightfully so - he hit 100 goals in 156 games for them in a very average side and is one of the club's most prolific goalscorers.

A legend at more than one club - his goals tally is phenomenal. It can't really be a 'Hall of Fame' if The Baker Boy isn't in it.
    Not half. I've always taken an interest in the Gunners, but a good few years back I had my best day watching them after getting my photo taken with the life size cut out of Joe in their Highbury museum. Nothing better than meeting a Hibby in a strange land. Even if he doesn't talk back.
    Voted.
    Last edited by Iggy Pope; 08-07-2016 at 08:50 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    I just shake my head in disbelief at some of the names mentioned in earlier posts who are already in the Scottish Football Hall of Fame.

Who decides who is inducted, and who isn't? Ally McLeod, Terry Butcher, Malpas! Jeez.
    Hey! Lay off Ally MacLeod. He was a quality winger in his day and played two years for the Hibees. 56 games seasons 1961-63 scoring six goals if you please. He was also a lot of fun as Scotland manager and IMHO we could do with his likes again. It has been a raging bore since 1978 following Scotland. It was a great adventure with Ally's Tartan Army albeit with a rotten punchline.
    Now the other two you mention i completely agree with your sentiment 👍

Quote Originally Posted by CentreLine View Post
    Hey! Lay off Ally MacLeod. He was a quality winger in his day and played two years for the Hibees. 56 games seasons 1961-63 scoring six goals if you please. He was also a lot of fun as Scotland manager and IMHO we could do with his likes again. It has been a raging bore since 1978 following Scotland. It was a great adventure with Ally's Tartan Army albeit with a rotten punchline.
    Now the other two you mention i completely agree with your sentiment
    Ally is a legend...... oh, wait a minute.

@hibs.net private member Eaststand's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanny View Post
    This was first mentioned in the transfer thread by ancient hibee but I think it deserves a thread of its own.

Nominations are open for the Scottish Football Hall of Fame inductions this year and, astonishingly, our own Joe Baker is not currently in the Hall of Fame.

102 goals in 117 appearances during his first spell at Hibs between 1957-1961 surely merits inclusion. As well as being the first English player to be given his England debut while playing outside England (first and only until Owen Hargreaves).

So get voting folks: http://scottishfootballhalloffame.co.uk/nominations/

Lets get Joe Baker in the Hall of Fame
    Done

GGTTH

GGTTH

@hibs.net private member We done it Dad's Avatar
    Done.

First Team Breakthrough weststandhibby's Avatar
    Voted.

Quote Originally Posted by CentreLine View Post
    Now the other two you mention i completely agree with your sentiment 
    I'm not sure the guys in the Tartan Army who travelled to Argentina for the World Cup in 1978 would agree with the bit in bold to be honest.

As the late great Jock Stein said - referring to Ally, without actually naming him - "at least I'll no be selling carpets." Or words to that effect. It was a long time ago.
    Last edited by emerald green; 09-07-2016 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Typo

Blog Entries
    I'm not sure the guys in the Tartan Army who travelled to Argentina for the World Cu in 1978 would agree with the bit in bold to be honest.

As the late great Jock Stein said - referring to Ally, without actually naming him - "at least I'll no be selling carpets." Or words to that effect. It was a long time ago.
    That was because you couldn't get Jock out the bookies long enough to do any promotional work!!
    Ally was not a great manager but he gave me 2 of my best ever football occasions at Wembley & Annfield in 1977. It was also hardly his fault that Don Masson missed a pivotal penalty versus Peru.

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    That was because you couldn't get Jock out the bookies long enough to do any promotional work!!
    Ally was not a great manager but he gave me 2 of my best ever football occasions at Wembley & Annfield in 1977. It was also hardly his fault that Don Masson missed a pivotal penalty versus Peru.
    I was at both those games too, but I'm more inclined to give the credit to the likes of Kenny Dalglish TBH. But fair enough, I'll leave off Ally now.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanny View Post
    This was first mentioned in the transfer thread by ancient hibee but I think it deserves a thread of its own.

Nominations are open for the Scottish Football Hall of Fame inductions this year and, astonishingly, our own Joe Baker is not currently in the Hall of Fame.

102 goals in 117 appearances during his first spell at Hibs between 1957-1961 surely merits inclusion. As well as being the first English player to be given his England debut while playing outside England (first and only until Owen Hargreaves).

So get voting folks: http://scottishfootballhalloffame.co.uk/nominations/

Lets get Joe Baker in the Hall of Fame
    Does the fact he played for England not rule him out?

Quote Originally Posted by Paisley Hibby View Post
    Terry Butcher??

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by Paisley Hibby View Post

I thought so too, but when I got to the web-page I found this - the nomination guidelines from the SFA website (link above in post #1):

"2) Non Scottish players who have made a significant contribution to Scottish football and who have since finished playing in Scotland."

Check the list of present honorees - there are a number of non-Scots in there already.

Professor Stewart Hillis was the Scotland team doctor; with all due respect, does that make him more deserving than a player of the standing and reputation of Joe Baker? I would have thought the Hall of Fame would have been more about the players and managers of the game? That said, mind, I can understand that his contribution behind the scenes over what was a considerable length of time fully justifies his inclusion.

But George Graham? for his manual dexterity in the pocketing of bulging plain brown envelopes?

Bobby Brown? for being one of the most hopelessly useless Scotland managers in our history?

Ally MacLeod? for being THE most hopelessly useless Scotland manager in history?

ALL ahead of the Baker Boy?
    Last edited by --------; 10-07-2016 at 06:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    I thought so too, but when I got to the web-page I found this - the nomination guidelines from the SFA website (link above in post #1):

"2) Non Scottish players who have made a significant contribution to Scottish football and who have since finished playing in Scotland."

Check the list of present honorees - there are a number of non-Scots in there already.

Professor Stewart Hillis was the Scotland team doctor; with all due respect, does that make him more deserving than a player of the standing and reputation of Joe Baker? I would have thought the Hall of Fame would have been more about the players and managers of the game? That said, mind, I can understand that his contribution behind the scenes over what was a considerable length of time fully justifies his inclusion.

But George Graham? for his manual dexterity in the pocketing of bulging plain brown envelopes?

Bobby Brown? for being one of the most hopelessly useless Scotland managers in our history?

Ally MacLeod? for being THE most hopelessly useless Scotland manager in history?

ALL ahead of the Baker Boy?
    Thanks. I didn't know that. In that case it's scandalous that Joe Baker isn't already there. Met him years ago at a corporate do at Easter Road. He was a brilliant guy and would have loved to play for Scotland rather than England but the rules then didn't allow it.