hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar

Pedal for Scotland

Hi all.

Anyone ever done this?

My youngest has suggested we do it this year. I've never cycled anything like that distance, so I'm in 2 minds.

Anybody got any advice or experiences to pass on?

Cheers.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hi all.

Anyone ever done this?

My youngest has suggested we do it this year. I've never cycled anything like that distance, so I'm in 2 minds.

Cheers.
    I've done it twice and would highly recommend it.

Don't worry if you've never cycled much. Neither had I.

You just need to do a few training runs starting with shorter runs and building up to a 3/4 length run about a week to 10 days before the run.

A few other tips is do not use a mountain bike a hybrid or road bike will make it much easier.

I used a ruck sack with the water pouch in it which I preferred to a bottle. Some bananas and energy bars/chocolate is the only food I packed.

Also pack a waterproof just in case.

Lastly there's a few organised stops which are mostly ok however if I was you I'd avoid going into the organised Linlithgow one. It takes ages to get back out again. A lot of folk just stop on the main street.

I've never bothered with the Kirkliston stop as it's quite soon after Linlithgow and by that point you're keen to push on into Edinburgh.

It really is well worth it and you get a great sense of achievement.

Happy to answer any questions you might have.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    I've done it twice and would highly recommend it.

Don't worry if you've never cycled much. Neither had I.

You just need to do a few training runs starting with shorter runs and building up to a 3/4 length run about a week to 10 days before the run.

A few other tips is do not use a mountain bike a hybrid or road bike will make it much easier.

I used a ruck sack with the water pouch in it which I preferred to a bottle. Some bananas and energy bars/chocolate is the only food I packed.

Also pack a waterproof just in case.

Lastly there's a few organised stops which are mostly ok however if I was you I'd avoid going into the organised Linlithgow one. It takes ages to get back out again. A lot of folk just stop on the main street.

I've never bothered with the Kirkliston stop as it's quite soon after Linlithgow and by that point you're keen to push on into Edinburgh.

It really is well worth it and you get a great sense of achievement.

Happy to answer any questions you might have.
    Cheers for that :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Hi all.

Anyone ever done this?

Cheers.
    Are you thinking of setting up a team? #Persevered
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

@hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar
    I was sitting at Paradis Cove on my third pint of Stella one Friday when a friend called me and asked if I wanted to do the Rosarita to Ensenada bike ride. He promised to pick me up and lend me a bike. I had just enough time to buy some padded cycle shorts before he got me in an old Saab with the roof down with two bikes on board. One was an expensive looking lightweight and the other was the one he lent me.

We stayed in San Diego at his mates place. I remember a good night out with a few more beers and great food but his mates place was small and at nearly 50 I slept on the floor. I could barely walk upright when we set off to Mexico.

Once we arrived and checked into the race organizers it was only about 10 minutes before we started. I cycled off soon to be left by the others. After about 6 or 7 miles I passed a refreshment stop where apparently all of the f***ers were plotting to abort. One of them went back for the truck and collected all the others and they headed for Ensenada and Hussong's Cantina.

I did the whole 50 miles having to walk up many of the uphills. The others had been training for weeks. I kept the T-Shirt as a trophy but my suffering continued. Once back by the return truck to Rosarita. I had to wait outside my mates car for my clothes and it got really cold. I was there about 2 hours then bought a hoodie in a local tourist store. I waited almost another hour before they got back pissed and laughing. They were amazed I completed the trip but even more so that I told them I wasn't coming back with them once I got my stuff.

I had just walked over the road to a nice hotel and booked a room about 20 minutes before they arrived. It happened to be spring break and 3 young girls walked past reception in thongs while I was checking in. All was not lost.

Cycling is fun and one should do it as much as possible! Must be amazing in Scotland and I might fly my bike over one of these days.