hibs.net Messageboard

Page 78 of 101 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088 ... LastLast
Results 2,311 to 2,340 of 3023
    @hibs.net private member GlesgaeHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's like a kidnap situation. If you don't agree to a hard Brexit one of us will resign every day until you are last woman standing.
    Nobody can win here though, as there isn't enough support within Tory party/parliament for a hard Brexit. May's Chequers plan also won't be accepted by EU.

So what next? General Election? Another referendum?

This madness is all the Tory parties creation. Ian Blackford called it spot on, 2 years to prepare the 'deal' she wants and 2 days for it all to fall apart.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Government shambles. As PB said an opposition party would be right on this normally, but Labour are as inept as the Tories right now.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by GlesgaeHibby View Post
    Nobody can win here though, as there isn't enough support within Tory party/parliament for a hard Brexit. May's Chequers plan also won't be accepted by EU.

So what next? General Election? Another referendum?

This madness is all the Tory parties creation. Ian Blackford called it spot on, 2 years to prepare the 'deal' she wants and 2 days for it all to fall apart.
    I think he stole that line from Cornyn, who used it about 30 minutes before in the same debate!

@hibs.net private member GlesgaeHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    I think he stole that line from Cornyn, who used it about 30 minutes before in the same debate!
    It's a good line, whoever it belongs to!

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HomeTeam View Post
    The SNP didn't give the Scottish voter a clear plan either apart from it will be alright trust us... oil will trade at $133 a barrel.
    You won't agree with this but the Scottish government white paper on independence, errors and all, makes the leave/Tory govt look like the Trumpton town council. No plans, no idea and nonsense rhetoric, £350m per week to the NHS anyone, totally embarrassing that folk in this country were taken in by this bunch of twats who still believe that there is an empire all falling over themselves to trade with the mother country and that the centre of the world is England.

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    It's clear the "Hard Brexiteers" are pushing their own agenda on this. The UK as a whole voted 52% for, 48% against so to my mind the combined population voted for a "Soft Brexit".

That's not taking into account that the leave side had illegal extra spending on the campaign... I wonder what the split would have been without that extra push from the leave side?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    "The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
    --Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback & sports analyst.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Alf View Post
    It's clear the "Hard Brexiteers" are pushing their own agenda on this. The UK as a whole voted 52% for, 48% against so to my mind the combined population voted for a "Soft Brexit".

That's not taking into account that the leave side had illegal extra spending on the campaign... I wonder what the split would have been without that extra push from the leave side?

Well who knows really as the vote didnít clarifying what Brexit was in the question that was asked.

However I honestly think that in general the vote should be considered at its simplest of terms...to leave the EU and therefore by implication most of its rules and restrictions.

So to some degree I see the hard Brexit point. Thatís not to say I see it as correct but just as valid a position as the softies and even more valid than those who want to cancel or abandon as very clearly that wasnít the decision of the vote.

It is however hilarious how pathetic all sides have been in the negotiations so far and the Tories most so. May has been waaay out of her depth the moment she took the job and is almost unbelievably incapable of managing any situation no matter one this grand!

Finally Brexit has woken up and we should see some fun and games now. Iím sure all sides think itís still all to play for..

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    However I honestly think that in general the vote should be considered at its simplest of terms...to leave the EU and therefore by implication most of its rules and restrictions.
    I can see how you can suggest that taking Brexit at its simplest makes sense.
    But how then do you decide to just leave "most" of its rules?

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    We should all be slightly worried tonight. What is unfolding before us has nothing to do with whatís good for any of us. Itís about whatís politically acceptable to a select few with a vested interest.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    We should all be slightly worried tonight. What is unfolding before us has nothing to do with what’s good for any of us. It’s about what’s politically acceptable to a select few with a vested interest.
    This is so very true.

Under every scenario of the Government's own impact assessments, the country will be worse off after Brexit.
    The only question is how much worse off will we be?

Which reminds me - Davis should have been sacked after he lied to the parliament and to the country over the impact assessments.
    It's appalling that he neither resigned nor was sacked over that episode.

Left by mutual consent!
    1922 committee forces a vote of no confidence in May, she resigns, cripes it's Boris in number 10!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chic Murray View Post
    1922 committee forces a vote of no confidence in May, she resigns, cripes it's Boris in number 10!
    He has to win the leadership election first. And she has to lose any confidence vote. Is it happening - no sign as yet?

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grunt View Post
    He has to win the leadership election first. And she has to lose any confidence vote. Is it happening - no sign as yet?
    BBC reporting that she left the 1922 Committee to loud applause.

I saw a graphic earlier today that suggested that BJ would lose a head-to-head contest with any of the main candidates. There isn't the support for him in the party.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Some minister Iíve never heard of Chris Green, resigns.

J

@hibs.net private member
    I can see how you can suggest that taking Brexit at its simplest makes sense.
    But how then do you decide to just leave "most" of its rules?
    By faffing about for two years? 🤪

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IGRIGI View Post
    Tricky for Labour as if they go full anti Brexit they risk alienating the North East of England.
    What if they run on a second referendum ticket?

One that is legally binding and is "leave in 2019, regardless of deal" or "remain"

Those who pushed hard for Brexit wouldn't be alianated then, it'd be there chance to finally force through what they initially wanted - assuming they still have a majority.

We can then just remain, having just elected a new government, and stop voting on things for a wee while.
    Mon the Hibs.

I hope David Cameron feels guilty as sin right now. He caused this with his weakness, his panic about UKIP and gambling the countries future on a party dispute. From the other side the whole thing was about getting Gove or Johnson into number 10 from the outset. They were terrified when they realised they had won as they never really thought they would.

I've really no idea where we go from here. The only opposition to Brexit is from minority parties, a few erseholes who will be sheltered from the worst effects are going to force through a disastrous hard Brexit. Crazy.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I hope David Cameron feels guilty as sin right now.
    I don't know how he can live with himself.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    I saw that, however in his defence, Blackford also tweeted it before the debate had started.

I don't know how he can live with himself.
    I'm sure the large amount of money he makes giving speeches at universities over here helps him sleep at night.

He'll be fine.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    It's a complete shambles, the Tories are self-serving ********s and the whole thing came about from Cameron trying to appease some vocal and influential Tories and stop them defecting to UKIP. He gambled, it backfired, and we're all facing the consequences - even now we're at the mercy of some Etonian pricks' game playing to meet their own ends.

Corbyn had the opportunity to stick it to the Tories but his pro-Brexit stance has ****ed that up for them.

For a lot of folk, there are very few areas to notably differentiate between the parties, and with the leader of the opposition going along with the Brexit shambles it leaves folk with nowhere to go.

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    I see 2 Tory "vice chairs" have also resigned, I think it's quite telling that almost every quote mentions the the deal is bad for the party.... they do also mention "country" but not quite as much that I've read across the various news outlets.

"The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
    --Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback & sports analyst.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Sajid Javid 7/2 fav for next PM

tony blair 150/1

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    I saw that, however in his defence, Blackford also tweeted it before the debate had started.
    So maybe corbyn copied him then! It is a very good line, whoever came up with it.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    Sajid Javid 7/2 fav for next PM

tony blair 150/1

The whole thing is a shameful farce, but I can't help but feel that May is actually stronger now, that she has faced them down and called their bluff about a leadership election.

It seems, as someone pointed out above, that there is no majority in parliament for a 'hard Brexit and so their only way of getting that is to force a GE and hope their vision wins a mandate, which would be hugely risky.

Also, the mood music coming from EU leaders seems to be softening a tad too- maybe May will come out of all this latest round of shenanigans stronger to deliver a fairly soft Brexit?

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Absolute scenes in Westminster today.

Raab stands up to deliver his speech on the White Paper. But nobody has had a chance to read it in advance! Bercow stops the session to allow physical copies to be brought in and tossed to MPs.

The hardened Brexiters won't be voting for it based on the quick skim I've given it.

@hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post

Raab stands up to deliver his speech on the White Paper. But nobody has had a chance to read it in advance! Bercow stops the session to allow physical copies to be brought in and tossed to MPs.

The hardened Brexiters won't be voting for it based on the quick skim I've given it.
    According to the labour front bench, the journalists were briefed, and given a copy earlier in the day.

Absolute shambles.

SCOTLAND CAN.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post

May is obviously gambling on the remainers in the other parties voting for this as the least worst option available. That isnít going to happen in large enough numbers.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    May is obviously gambling on the remainers in the other parties voting for this as the least worst option available. That isnít going to happen in large enough numbers.

Whatever side anyone of us come down on, this is a complete shambles

@hibs.net private member